Best group of defensive prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Well i will throw my homer pick in then as well....

Chicago.

Babchuk- Some may equal it, but I don't see any prospects the same age that have a shot as hard his. He's a legit 6'5", can skate and is mean. He just needs seasoning(and early reports is that he has a bit of big shot disease). Defensively he still chases guys a bit, but I think thats just an experience issue.

Brent Seabrook- Stuck on a bad team in Lethbridge, but is a leader, 6'3" 230 lbs, can move the puck and was Team Canada's best dman playing against the best competition.

Michael Barinka- I honestly don't know how this kid fell in last season's draft. He was great in prospect camp, another booming shot- and definiately has NHL size at 6'3". And he is just flat out mean. A euro who's not afraid to drop the gloves, has had 4 scraps in the AHL and more than held his own from reports in norfolk(and I've seen one online). I'm not saying this kid is Cairns, but in prospects camp he was bullying many of the smaller guys- and I honestly didn't think he'd keep it up in the AHL. Most reports indicate that he has- and hasn't hesitated to hammer guys....

Duncan Keith- Small, but the best skater in our organization. According to the coaches his physical fitness ratings was worlds beyond any of the other prospects, and he ranked ahead of a lot on the hawks(sadly). Seriously, this kid doesn't have Bouwmeester's size(not close), but he has his wheels. He's not soft, so I think he has a shot.

James Wisniewski- Small but squatty, tough so size I don't think will be much of an issue(as it is with Keith). Moves the puck wonderfully, and is having another great season in JR. Only reason he wasn't signed was because of the other kids they brought to play in the AHL.

Lasse Kukkonen- Solid in all zones, makes a nice outlet pass and will rub a guy out if need be. There was absolutely no reason for him to be sent down to norfolk. I've seen all but 1 hawk game this year, and all the home games. And while he f'd up now and again, they were all aggressive mistakes that you expect with a kid. To me, he already proved he can play in the league- but Sutter sent him down to get more minutes(supposedly). He leads the Ads in ice time on most nights- and draws rave reviews from Trent Yawney.

Steve McCarthy- Finally breaking out this season. Still hasn't shown a ton of confidence with the puck but before the groin injury was logging the most minutes on a bad blueline. Might never be that #2 that so many thought when he played as an 18 year old... but will play in the NHL for a long time.

Alot of chicago fans also have high hopes for big Bubba, Dustin Byfuglien. He has the ability to be an NHL'r, but nobody is sold on the desire.

Chicago may not have the "supposed" studs of other teams. But in the depth department, I don't think many teams have the balance that we do. The only big if is which kid(if any) can be that 25 minute a night guy.

As for other teams, I like those listed: Nashville, PIT/MTL(top 2-3 anyway).... and I think Philly is way underrated as well on the blueline.

-fullmetalninja

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
JasonMacIsaac said:
We have Chvatal and Martin in the offensive category, Redlihs is an underdog prospect. We have plenty of defensive dmen :)

Teams better watch out for that Marek Chvatel on the future NJ Blueline.

Seriously, I hope you dont really think he will turn out to be a solid NHL calibre offensive defenseman. He is not even Sarnia's power play QB.

ICX*

JasonMacIsaac said:
The guy as the best dmen on the Czech under 18 tourni a couple years ago and is on the Under 20 team this year. His stats arn't the best but he does have good offensive instincts, the Sarnia team isn't near as strong as last year and play a defensive game. I didn't say he would be an offensive dmen to be messed with but he should be considered under the offensive dmen/two way dmen mold.

Chvatal is a project and Redlihs is, at best, a longshot to ever hold down a steady NHL job. Neither guy is as projectable as, say, Martin was during his pre-NHL days. Kadeykin could have some offensive upside, but that's not why the Devils drafted him. I'm saying we have an organizational need for another Martin-type of prospect - projectable to be a top 2 pair offensive d-man, or at least a guy with better 2 way skills than Kadeykin, now our top defensive prospect.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
JasonMacIsaac said:
The guy as the best dmen on the Czech under 18 tourni a couple years ago and is on the Under 20 team this year. His stats arn't the best but he does have good offensive instincts, the Sarnia team isn't near as strong as last year and play a defensive game. I didn't say he would be an offensive dmen to be messed with but he should be considered under the offensive dmen/two way dmen mold.

Sarnia has the third best powerplay in the OHL and is first in their division. Id say there not much worse than last year. I like Chvatal but Id say he's a huge longshot to play in the NHL, and shouldnt be included when discussing the top group of defenseman prospects.

#2FAN

VernonForrest said:
Sarnia has the third best powerplay in the OHL and is first in their division. Id say there not much worse than last year. I like Chvatal but Id say he's a huge longshot to play in the NHL, and shouldnt be included when discussing the top group of defenseman prospects.
cough He is Banned cough cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->