Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Price
Pavelec
Rask
Varlamov

It's strange to think that in the entire US system there isn't a better goaltender than Frazee. If the US makes noise in this tournament it will be in spite of their goaltending, not because of it.

Disagree. Frazee doesn't put up eye-popping numbers with the Gophers, but he wins. He's also been exceptional for the U.S. in international play (with the U18 team). I think he'll be fine. There's also the Zatkoff factor who, while unknown, is a great goaltender in his own right.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Never! I do think that Price and Rask are the best goaltenders, but I don't think Finland will make the gold medal game.

I don't think that's what he meant anywayl. I just thought he meant that Rask vs. Price is the battle of the best goaltenders, not which goalies will face eachother in the final.

If he did mean that final thing, I don't agree either. There's no chance Finland makes the final.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Disagree. Frazee doesn't put up eye-popping numbers with the Gophers, but he wins. He's also been exceptional for the U.S. in international play (with the U18 team). I think he'll be fine. There's also the Zatkoff factor who, while unknown, is a great goaltender in his own right.

Rabid -- Look at the damn team he's on, though. Minny is S-T-A-C-K-E-D. You could have a middle of the road college goaltender like a Frazee on the team and win games without having to do much. He's not getting tested, really, at all during their games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Rabid -- Look at the damn team he's on, though. Minny is S-T-A-C-K-E-D. You could have a middle of the road college goaltender like a Frazee on the team and win games without having to do much. He's not getting tested, really, at all during their games.

That's my point. I'm not saying Frazee is Grant Fuhr, but it's not uncommon for a goalie on a "stacked" team to put up underwhelming numbers because of the run and gun style typically used. I think that's the case with Frazee, and yes I've watched all of the Gopher games this year and have seen Frazee in action on other teams. Ron Rolston is comfortable with the goaltending and I am too.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
its got to be irving and price
irving has been amazing for his whl team

How does it have to be Irving? Don't get me wrong he is playing great, but the WHL is a junior league. Varmalov has been amazing for his RSL team. I know the Russian league is more goalie friendly, but Varlamov is already playing against the big boys.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I didn't thought of any better place to post this, apperently Price during practice kept shooting the puck from his net on top corner on the other side of the ice, now that's mad skills! (posted by Montreal on the Habs board)

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
One of the strongest WJCs when it comes to goalies?

Agreed... with Rask, Pavelec, Price/Irving that's three teams with top noth goaltenders (not saying they'll all perform like that but). I might even be forgetting some and Berra had a real good tourney last year for the Swiss.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
Care to translate some of the good parts?

I'll (very roughly) translate all of his quotes. :)

- I'm still very pissed and disappointed. The frustration isn't gone yet.

- This was my last chance to play in the WJC, so sure, it feels bad. But I can't do a whole lot more than just play.

- I still think that it's the goalie coach (Thomas Magnusson) who had the last word.

- Yes, it (the explanation he got) was that I play with too small margins, but I don't really know what it means. It's all about saving as many pucks as possible. I don't buy it.

- As a goalie you always want to get the shutout and I didn't today. I think I should've had both goals, actually.

- Ok, the first (goal) wasn't too good, but the second.. Had I been hotter I would've gotten it.

- I guess I'll have to play in the real WC instead. When that is, I don't know, but that's my goal.

It's about him being dissappointed and not knowing really why he was cut. He's got the highest SV% in the league.

codycanuck24

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver
How does it have to be Irving? Don't get me wrong he is playing great, but the WHL is a junior league. Varmalov has been amazing for his RSL team. I know the Russian league is more goalie friendly, but Varlamov is already playing against the big boys.

very true varmalov is an amazing goalie as well
ive just seen irving play a couple times this year and hes quite a goalie.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Kind of like a pre-quel to what we can expect in the future eh.

Rask (BOS) vs. Price (MTL)

and so the sega continues...chapter 98

Yup!!:):amazed::)

That should/will be a great goaltending DUEL...

It should/will improve the rivalry between Montreal VS Boston for many, many years...

---------------- ------------------- ------------------ ----------------------

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't think that's what he meant anywayl. I just thought he meant that Rask vs. Price is the battle of the best goaltenders, not which goalies will face eachother in the final.

If he did mean that final thing, I don't agree either. There's no chance Finland makes the final.

I meant MORE Price VS Rask as "in" the best goalies (of the tournament) facing each other, not necessarily the best teams facing each other for FINALS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad