Best GM move to "trade up" on Draft day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In 1990, the Flames traded up to #11 to get Trevor Kidd. The Devils then dropped down to #20 and picked Martin Brodeur. So that's probably the opposite of what this thread is going for........

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Brodeur said:
In 1990, the Flames traded up to #11 to get Trevor Kidd. The Devils then dropped down to #20 and picked Martin Brodeur. So that's probably the opposite of what this thread is going for........
:cry:

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
PecaFan said:
It was *one* pick, not two. We already had the 3rd pick, and one guaranteed Sedin.

And it was not crafty, it was grandstanding, and bad GM'ing. After the initial move with Chicago, he had the 4th overall pick, and that was all that needed to be done, as Brendl and Stefan were who the top two teams wanted. But no, he had to grandstand, and move multiple picks around, simply wasting assets.

Ultimately, the price he paid for *one* Sedin:

Bryan McCabe, a first round draft pick (that was very possibly a top 5 pick in the Heatley Gaborik draft), and two third round picks.

He got lucky in that the Canucks improved enough to turn the 1st round pick given into #11 overall so it didn't turn into complete disaster, but still, four players for Henrik Sedin is *massive* overpaying.

He also got a 2nd rounder from Atlanta (which was 33rd overall I believe) but he traded it Nashville for Drake Berehowsky. Berehowsky was then traded to Phoenix for Bouck, Letowski and Todd Warriner. Letowski was good for the Canucks while he was here and Tyler Bouck will be a contributor for the Canucks for years to come (4th line / AHL'er).

In the end it was basically,

To Vancouver:
2nd overall pick (Henrik Sedin)
Tyler Bouck
(couple of years of service of Drake Berehowsky, Trevor Letowski and Todd Warriner)

Away:
11th overall pick in 2000 (Mikhail Yakubov or Pavel Vorobiev)
Bryan McCabe
two third rounders (no one significant)

Considering we made the playoffs all these years, I think it is decent.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Berehowsky was then traded to Phoenix for Bouck, Letowski and Todd Warriner.

At the risk of nitpicking, it was Denis Pederson and Drake Berehowsky for Bouck, Letowski, Warriner, and a third round pick. The third round pick we traded back to Phoenix conditionally for Brad May. So it was basically Pederson and Berehowsky for Bouck, Letowski, Warriner, and May.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
kmad said:
At the risk of nitpicking, it was Denis Pederson and Drake Berehowsky for Bouck, Letowski, Warriner, and a third round pick. The third round pick we traded back to Phoenix conditionally for Brad May. So it was basically Pederson and Berehowsky for Bouck, Letowski, Warriner, and May.
Letowski alone would've made it a fleecing.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
PanthersRule said:
The Anthony Stewart deal was a good one. Devils with Parise was good.

I suppose we should wait for both before annointing either as a great trade up......but definitely looking good at the present time.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
kmad said:

I guess that makes it even better then. Pederson was as good as gone then (piece of crap who wasn't going to be qualified).

Even though it was a high 2nd round pick (33rd overall), having Letowski, Bouck, May and Warriner was worth it. Bouck and May are physical gritty wingers who are leaders and Letowski was great when he was here in that line with Chubarov and Cooke. Warriner sucked though despite being a 4th overall pick many years back.

I am Jack's Fish

While technically it wasnt a move to draft a player, it still involved getting a prospect...

Bryan Murray trading Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish for Roberto Luongo and Olli Jokinen.

That is a trade to define a GM's career.

Reilly311

How is everyone forgetting the Pens trading Mikael Samuelsson to get the 1st overall? Or are there too many Fleury haters?

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Reilly311 said:
How is everyone forgetting the Pens trading Mikael Samuelsson to get the 1st overall? Or are there too many Fleury haters?

They also gave up a 2nd rounder (Stefan Meyer) to Florida.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Reilly311 said:
no, they swapped 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Yeah and Stefan Meyer who Florida got is a good prospect while I never even heard of the other guy who the Penguin got in the third round. Daniel Jurcillo or something....

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Mark Fischel said:
While technically it wasnt a move to draft a player, it still involved getting a prospect...

Bryan Murray trading Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish for Roberto Luongo and Olli Jokinen.

That is a trade to define a GM's career.

Now that's a pretty good trade, though not what the topic wanted...

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
While this one gets the "remains to be seen" label, what does everyone think (value-wise) about the draft day trade Florida made sending defenseman Ivan Majesky to Atlanta for the 38th overall pick in 2003?

While I don't know if Florida's selection of Kamil Kreps will pan out or not (sorry I don't have a crystal ball ;)), Ivan Majesky was drafted by Florida in the 9th round (267th overall) in 2001 and, at the time of the 2003 draft day trade, was going to turn 27 that September and had only 1 season of NHL experience under his belt...so Ivan wasn't exactly a prospect, nor a proven player himself (very risky move by D.W.). When you consider how deep the 2003 draft was supposed to be and what other players were still available at that 38th spot (Patrice Bergeron, Dan Fritsche, Shea Weber, ect...) I'd say it was a good risk by a rebuilding Florida team to trade up whether the pick ends up panning out or not.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The only one I can think of for Minnesota was:

To Minnesota: 78th Overall Pick (Danny Irmen)

to Toronto: 91st Overall Pick (Martin Sagat) and the 125th Overall pick (Konstantin Volkov)

And I'm still banging my head over this one:

:banghead:

Irmen is good but Sagat and Volkov for him...DOH

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Crossbar said:
While this one gets the "remains to be seen" label, what does everyone think (value-wise) about the draft day trade Florida made sending defenseman Ivan Majesky to Atlanta for the 38th overall pick in 2003?

While I don't know if Florida's selection of Kamil Kreps will pan out or not (sorry I don't have a crystal ball ;)), Ivan Majesky was drafted by Florida in the 9th round (267th overall) in 2001 and, at the time of the 2003 draft day trade, was going to turn 27 that September and had only 1 season of NHL experience under his belt...so Ivan wasn't exactly a prospect, nor a proven player himself (very risky move by D.W.). When you consider how deep the 2003 draft was supposed to be and what other players were still available at that 38th spot (Patrice Bergeron, Dan Fritsche, Shea Weber, ect...) I'd say it was a good risk by a rebuilding Florida team to trade up whether the pick ends up panning out or not.

Atlanta got screwed, period. This was by far the worst trade DW ever made. I screamed in despair when he made the trade and now I screamed again when I saw it print. What the hell was he thinking?

Here are the guys he could have taken instead: Tim Ramholt, Petr Vrana, Patrice Bergeron, Dan Fritsche, Evgeny Tunik, Patrick O'Sullivan, Shea Weber, Igor Mirnov. Just let me stop there before I vomit

One last thing, guys like Majesky are "a dime a dozen" and can be easily had as a waiver wire pick-up. :badidea:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
dunwoody_joe said:
This was by far the worst trade DW ever made. I screamed in despair when he made the trade and now I screamed again when I saw it print. What the hell was he thinking?

LOL, it pales in comparason to some of FLA's bonehead trades like the next Lindros Chris Wells for Barnes and Woolley which mutilated the panthers and they haven't recovered since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad