Best forward taken in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

KH1

I've always loved Latendresse and was surprised that while teams took first round gambles on huge risk prospects like Pokoluk or Finley based on size alone Latendresse, a boom/bust pick if there ever was one who's already proven he has the skill set to become an NHL power forward in the future, dropped well into the second round.

It's mind numbing. Stoa is also going to be an excellent player for the Avs, that was a great pick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
why don't you ask us in 5 years

my guess is the guy who started this thread is a habs fan, and just wants to feel good about his team when everybody says Latandrese.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
boredmale said:
why don't you ask us in 5 years

my guess is the guy who started this thread is a habs fan, and just wants to feel good about his team when everybody says Latandrese.

Again, Habs fans getting the shaft..this is the second time this comes up, and it was a Leafs fan who started this thread, not a Habs fan...and there are as much fans from other teams saying Latendresse was a steal...so stop trying to knock on Habs fans...

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The 2005 draft was weak. Very few of these guys will amount to much at the NHL level.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Latendresse is one of them. Gainey said on the radio that there is a possibility that he migjht make the team this year out of camp.

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
Latendresse sounds good but points arent everything especially when you look to the past junior players.

I have heard in another thread that in three years Bertram will be the 3rd best player out of the draft. Blunden was supposed to be a 1st rounder too, supposed to be good. :dunno:

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Bertram looked good at the Prospects Camp. Still needs to grow, very good wheels. Blunden, good skater, nice shot, good skills, won the only fight at Prospects. Then in the Non-Vets camp, scored the game winner in the shootout.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I was very happy when the habs drafted Latendresse and I don't like him more because he's with the habs. I liked him before.

STOP PUTTING HABS FANS IN THE SAME BASKET!!!!
Most of us do something else than dreaming that our prospects will be superstars in the league...

about the thread, I think that Latendresse will be good, but I also really like Bertram, who could have a great career, especially if the league gets more offensive.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
LaLaLaprise said:
Yup. lol

I just think they grossly blew out of propertion his skating.

It really is not that bad. It isnt great but there are a lot of NHLers who get by with average skating.

I think the main problem is though that latendresse looks awkward out there as well. Often times smaller guys will look much faster than they are and big guys look clumsy.

The QMJHL is a speed league and Lats had no problem keeping up.

Uh, it wasn't the scouts and GMs that did that, it was fanboys here at HF. Scouts do crazy things like actually going to games and watching players play. Also, they know what to look for, unlike many HF posters. His poor skating was badly blown out of proportion here, but how do we know why scouts and GMs all took a pass?

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
Squeaky said:
Uh, it wasn't the scouts and GMs that did that, it was fanboys here at HF. Scouts do crazy things like actually going to games and watching players play. Also, they know what to look for, unlike many HF posters. His poor skating was badly blown out of proportion here, but how do we know why scouts and GMs all took a pass?

In every scouting report I ever read it more or less says his one downfall was his skating - they never said anything else like bad defensivley, lack of hockey sense it was just his skating & if its improved as much as people say it is he s a top 10 pick period!

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
ciggyboy said:
In every scouting report I ever read it more or less says his one downfall was his skating - they never said anything else like bad defensivley, lack of hockey sense it was just his skating & if its improved as much as people say it is he s a top 10 pick period!

That's just because it's an obvious knock, and most scouting reports don't go into tremendous detail. Even if everything else is good, is it great? Is it top-10 in the draft great? Yes, scouts were likely down on his skating, but to say that they blew it out of proportion and that's why he wasn't drafted isn't something we can say with any credibility.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
sec17 said:
Instead of applauding, maybe you should check the title of the thread you're posting in.

I'd take Latendresse... but I'd also say it's a good thing they got a good second rounder since they messed up the first pretty bad.

Please! :shakehead

But had he gone to let's say the Senators 4 spots later, he'd be the franchise goalie of the future for them right?

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Ok, I believe all from Quebec feel Latendresse should be Prime Minister after a long, highly successful career with the Habs.... :sarcasm:
Is it fair he was drafted in the 2nd round??????? I suppose not. Lemme see....Belfour (Undrafted), Larmer (Mid-round pick), etc, etc.....

#44_delivers

Dec 21, 2003
edmonton
GaryU said:
Ok, I believe all from Quebec feel Latendresse should be Prime Minister after a long, highly successful career with the Habs.... :sarcasm:
Is it fair he was drafted in the 2nd round??????? I suppose not. Lemme see....Belfour (Undrafted), Larmer (Mid-round pick), etc, etc.....
:dunno:
i thought the question was whos the best forward taken in the second round :dunno:
what does this have to do with anything

well since i havnt seen anyof them play for my self there all good until time proves otherwise.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Le depisteur said:
In fact, he outplayed Steve Bernier...

Very very much so on most nights and most importantly in Game 7 of that series. Latendresse stepped up huge for his team Bernier didn't. His skating isn't great but i think the main reason he fell is Consistency. He'll be dominating one week then next week he's a completely different player. I fully expected him to go in the top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad