Best forward taken in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jon Prescription said:
Stastny is up there. Much better than Latendresse anyway.
Cause you seen Latendresse so many times in your life. I like both but I would still take Latendresse over Stastny. Latendresse should have went top 10 and teams will be kicking themselves in the future.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Latendresse seems to be a good pick, but now he should have been taken top 10 for some reason? Why?! Because he did well in one litttle rookie tournament? He's looking good so far, but it is WAY too early to be calling him a steal like that. Maybe say he should have gone in the first round, but top 10? That's nuts. I'd still much rather have guys like Skille, O'Marra, Staal, and Kopitar (just to round out the top 10 after the first 6 picks) than Latendresse.

Oh, and for the record, I am a habs fan.

As for the subject of the thread, I do think Latendresse was a good pickup in the 2nd round, and I agree about Stastny and Stoa being solid picks too.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
Squeaky said:
Latendresse seems to be a good pick, but now he should have been taken top 10 for some reason? Why?! Because he did well in one litttle rookie tournament? He's looking good so far, but it is WAY too early to be calling him a steal like that. Maybe say he should have gone in the first round, but top 10? That's nuts. I'd still much rather have guys like Skille, O'Marra, Staal, and Kopitar (just to round out the top 10 after the first 6 picks) than Latendresse.

As for the subject of the thread, I do think Latendresse was a good pickup in the 2nd round, and I agree about Stastny and Stoa being solid picks too.

IMO I would of taken Latendresse over all those guys & I bet you he becomes the best player out of the bunch easily better then O'Marra.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Squeaky said:

He droped for 1 reason and 1 reason only...skating. Which is odd because he out performed Bobby Ryan in every skating drill at the Prospects Game.

Bobby Ryan may be a bit more skilled but both cant skate. Rayn was taken 2nd overall...Latendresse 45th. There isnt that much difference between the 2.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He droped for 1 reason and 1 reason only...skating. Which is odd because he out performed Bobby Ryan in every skating drill at the Prospects Game.

that basically says that skating was NOT the only reason he dropped.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Squeaky said:

I guess you weren't following the 2005 draft crop much before last season. Before the 2004 season Latendresse was considered neck and neck with Brule for 2nd. Then he got injured, couldn't show off his skills and this myth about his horrible skating, he gets from point A to point B well, started up.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Levitate said:
He got off to a poor start to the season comming off a serious injury. He is a PowerForward in the QMJHL...there is reason number two.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Squeaky said:
Because he did well in one litttle rookie tournament?

You obviously didn't watch the Q playoffs last year where Latendresse made the Moncton wildcats team his bit**. The games I was there for he was the most dominant player on the ice. I wish the sens had of taken him.

Le depisteur

Feb 13, 2003
Québec
Visit site
pjbth said:
You obviously didn't watch the Q playoffs last year where Latendresse made the Moncton wildcats team his bit**. The games I was there for he was the most dominant player on the ice. I wish the sens had of taken him.

In fact, he outplayed Steve Bernier...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Levitate said:

GMs were stupid and bought the whole "he cant skate tag" that was given to him when Bobby Ryan was just as bad but that part of his game was overlooked because he had big time skills.

GM's were able to look past the skating for Bobby Ryan but not for Latendresse.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
LaLaLaprise said:
Just for the record, Latendresse was 25th in the lap, Ryan was 29th (15.171 vs. 15.335 sec). That's the ONE drill Latendresse beat Ryan in.

In the shorter races, Ryan was 18th in the 60' vs. 27th for Latendresse. Ryan was 25th in the 150' vs. 34th (out of 36) for Latendresse.

.333 is a pretty good batting average in baseball, anyway. :dunno:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Blind Gardien said:
Just for the record, Latendresse was 25th in the lap, Ryan was 29th (15.171 vs. 15.335 sec). That's the ONE drill Latendresse beat Ryan in.

In the shorter races, Ryan was 18th in the 60' vs. 27th for Latendresse. Ryan was 25th in the 150' vs. 34th (out of 36) for Latendresse.

.333 is a pretty good batting average in baseball, anyway. :dunno:

I was told by a 3rd party that he beat Ryan in the skating drills, apparently I should double check info people give me lol

Even so Ryan has a little quicker first step. Is it really that much of a difference to drop Lats out of the top 20?

Also Im not trying to say Lats is better than Ryan, just that both have trouble skating and that Latendresse fell a lot more than he should have.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
After seeing him skate, I really don't see a problem with Latendresse's skating...maybe the only slight issue is he's not the fastest starter, but he's also 225lbs, once he gets going though, and especially with the puck on his stick, he can be explosive...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
LaLaLaprise said:
GMs were stupid and bought the whole "he cant skate tag" that was given to him when Bobby Ryan was just as bad but that part of his game was overlooked because he had big time skills.

GM's were able to look past the skating for Bobby Ryan but not for Latendresse.
I think they realized that skating wasn't a necessary part of Ryan's game. He played exclusively down low, and did it well and consistently, and proved that the poor skating wasn't a factor. By contrast, I imagine some people weren't sure what Latendresse's game really was, or whether his skating would be a factor or not. Latendresse wasn't as consistent as Ryan. You could go to games, high profile WU-18 games, and not notice that Latendresse was in the lineup. I imagine that sort of inconsistency probably was a bigger difference between the two than the skating. :dunno: Anyway, hopefully the same scouts won't learn from their mistakes. We need more QMJHL steals for the Habs! :yo:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
LaLaLaprise said:
Even so Ryan has a little quicker first step. Is it really that much of a difference to drop Lats out of the top 20?
Not in my books, of course. But then, like I always say, Terry Ryan was my favourite draft pick of all time, so I'm not really the best person to ask for skating critiques. I say stuff like "Latendresse skates like Jason Ward" and mean it as a compliment... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad