Status
Not open for further replies.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Steelhead16 said:
c-carp said:
Probie was the best in my opinion and had very few weaknesses as a fighter on the ice.

He had two lengendary toe to toe bout with Craig Coxe and a very good toe toe toe bout with Link Gaetz when link was with the Sharks. It didnt last long but both guys landed bombs and cut eadh other.

Probert and Link was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread. They had a couple of good ones. I heard Probert say that Link was his toughest opponent.
Link Could have been a great NHL fighter if he wasnt just a plain Idiot. Some say that when he was young he wasnt a bad player either. Seeing him loose his first bout in the "Hockey Gladiators and look flat out disinterested in doing it was sad for a fan of Hockey fights.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Quiet Robert said:
I remember that fight. One of the dirtier fights I've ever seen. They were close to the blueline, along the boards and suddenly Tocchet just leans in and bam, headbutted Probie twice. Then while they were in close Probert got him back with a headbutt.

Among those not mentioned:

A more recent one, in middleweight guys was PJ Stock vs. Stephen Peat. There were a ton of punches thrown in that one. It was only 30s long, but both guys never let up.

McSorely and Langdon also had a great tilt when Marty was with the Sharks and Langer was with the Rangers. It lasted over 2mins and they were both completely exhausted by the end. Maybe not one of the greatest, a good long one.

I think it's been mentioned but Jay Miller vs. John Kordic were great fights. Has Terry Carkner vs. Lyndon Byers been mentioned? Great toe to toe action.
Great call on Stock vs Peat. They have had a couple of beauties. Reed Low had his best toe to toe fight in the NHL with PJ Also. Stock is a blast to watch he never wrestles he just wants to go toe to toe.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
c-carp said:
Steelhead16 said:
Link Could have been a great NHL fighter if he wasnt just a plain Idiot. Some say that when he was young he wasnt a bad player either. Seeing him loose his first bout in the "Hockey Gladiators and look flat out disinterested in doing it was sad for a fan of Hockey fights.
c-carp said:
He was never the same after his car wreck. I sat with him at a game after that and he just always seemed a little slow after that. Almost like a punch drunk fighter. I saw him again when he played for Anchorage in the WCHL for a couple of months few years ago and he could still throw em but every knucklehead who thought he was a tough guy wanted to try him and he just looked like it got kinda old for him. He could actually play a little before the wreck. He had Probert like skills, he could skate and had a nice slap shot.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I thought of a few more to toss out there.

Scott Walker and Mike Keane had a great toe to toe middleweight bout.

Mike Keane and Billy Guerin had on that was featured on one of the Don Cherry tapes.

Reed Low and PJ Stock Had one in the Fleet Center that was on one of the later Don Cherry volumes and it is toe to toe and is Low best fight for excitement that he has had as a Blue. To me it is as good or better than the Stock and Peat fight that has been mentioned

Darcy Hordichuk in his brief time in the NHL has produced some toe to toe beauties.

In the Pre-season in St louis this year he had a toe to toe beauty with Reed Low that I hope isnt Reed's last as a Blues player.

Darcy had had a couple of Beauties with Jody Shelley who is another Guy that usually goes to to toe.

Darcy Hordichuk vs Sandy McCarthy-This one happened right off the faceoff in MSG and they went toe to toe with Darcy firing the better punches early and Sandy coming back to win the second half of the fight.

Sandy McCarthy when he was younger and motivated to fight had a lot of very entertaining fights and he was arguably either 2nd best fighter in the league or 1a with Tony Twist.

A lot of people have been mentioning series' of fights and Sandy and Jim McKenzie who was a very entertaining guy and top 10 if not top 5 for his era had a series of toe to toe bouts that would rank right up there.

Sandy had at least two beauties with Marty McSorley.My favorite occured in a pre-season game in the Forum and it was right off of a faceoff that they ironically ended up taking because the two centers got tossed out. This was an extremely long bout with both men landing lots of punches but I think you have to give Marty the edge for haviong more left at the end in fact at the end Sandy seems to be looking for the linesmen.

Sandy also edged Francois Leroux in a bout where both guys through lots of punches.

No one has mentioned Joey Kocur and not a lot of his bouts were toe to toe because he had the Biggest most feared punch in the history of hockey.

He did have two beauties with Link Gaetz that were pretty open with both guys landing their share I would give Joey the edge in both though in the second one he opened Link up pretty good.

Joey also had a couple of long drawn out Beauties with Basil McRae that would probably have slight edges to McRae in round one and to Kocur in round 2.

I will Close out with a few more very good Blues tilts I have seen over the years

Herb Raglan wasnt nessarily a top fighter but he did have a very big punch and I have a couple of examples.

Herb Raglan vs Joey Kocur-This one had a KO in it but not the way you would figure. Joey tried to use his left in this one and Raglan dropped him with a big right. I know that these two had a few more fights after this but I cant remeber any of the others standing out.

Herb Raglan vs Joe Reekie-Another KO by Raglan.

Robert Dirk vs Mark Tinordi-They had at least one very good toe to toe bout that I remember. Both of these guys were as tough as nails and underrated.

Todd Ewen vs Bob Probert-Their series of bouts went on after their first two in St Louis but I know that they had at least two more While Ewen was wearing the Bluenote and one was a battle that occured before the puck was even dropped and they battled for a long time along the boards both exchanging good shots with Probie geting the win because of his better shots landed late in the bout.

Todd Ewen Vs Jay Miller-I dont remember what rink it occured in bit it was an absolute toe to toe bout also.

Darin Kimble vs Todd Gill-This one occured late in a game betwen the Leafs and Blues and Kimble went after Gill for a cheapshot on another Blues player and Gill who was very underrated as a fighter went toe to toe with him and probably got the edge here in a suprise.

Darin Kimble vs Randy McKay-This one was sort of the headline bout in a very rough Playoff game in round one of the 90-91 playoffs Blues vs Wings. I was in attendance and I am wanting to say it was game 5. This game set a record at the time for combined PIM's in a playoff game. These two Started to go along the boards and continued behind the net with both landing big shots and Kimble getting the edge late.

Cujo vs Cheveldae in a Blues wings Linebrawl in the early 90's I was in attendance for this one also and I think it occured in 92-93 I think I am not positive. The whole thing started in the corner and the headline bout to start it was between Kelly Chase and Jim Cummins and it wasnt a great fight but I would have to give the Chaser the edge. All Hell broke loose shortly afterwards and I dont remember the other activities being one on one fights I just remember Probert trying to get at anyone he can and the rest of the Blues players doing the best they could with him even two on one at times for sure Lowry and Bassen were both trying to contain the enraged probert at one time and Chevelday comes out because of this and Down comes Cujo and these two goe toe to toe in a very good goalie fight and this is still one of the loudest experiences I have had at a hockey game the place was going nuts. Also this happened very early in the game so the crowd was jacked from the start which was great.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Steelhead16 said:
c-carp said:
He was never the same after his car wreck. I sat with him at a game after that and he just always seemed a little slow after that. Almost like a punch drunk fighter. I saw him again when he played for Anchorage in the WCHL for a couple of months few years ago and he could still throw em but every knucklehead who thought he was a tough guy wanted to try him and he just looked like it got kinda old for him. He could actually play a little before the wreck. He had Probert like skills, he could skate and had a nice slap shot.
I could see where it would get like that for a guy like him for sure because as you said every young guy in these leagues wants to try him because of his name. He has had at least one beauty with Patrick Cote while both played in the QSPHL that I have seen.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
This guy's got a ton of links to fight videos on this page. 'Ctrl f' to seach the page in case anyone didn't know. On the bottom of the page he's got a few minor league stuff, with other sports fights etc.

http://www.zen36114.zen.co.uk/

Good times.

The Pens Are Back*

i remember seeing carkner vs. kordic on one of cherry tapes.

old timers....... there has got to be some holmgren - gillies/nystrom battles. i remember seeing on espn classic the flyer -isles game 7 (or was it 6) stanley cup final and seeing 2 fights in the 1st period. :amazed:

holmgren- gillies
nystrom - wilson, i think

The Pens Are Back*

wow that probert -coxe fight was nuts.

carkner - byers..... didn't think byers landed any real solid shots. carkner landed a few big ones

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A Semi-Pro matchup between Patrick Coté & Link Gaetz... Pure delight.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Potvin vs Hextall.

Hextall had the reputation, Potvin was a quiet, unassuming guy. Potvin beats the crap out of Hextall.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Mr Brownstone said:
I have a Brad May-Basil McRae fight saved that is pretty good.
Was that in Buffalo when Basil was with the Blues and they had those god aweful uniforms with all the red on the bottom. I have seen this one and if you listen close you can hear the linesmen talking to them before they start, telling them to Just play hockey. :madfire: to their credit they said to hell with them and took care of their business.

May was one of the better fighters at switching hands and had an underrated punch.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Steelhead16 said:
Probert and Link was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread. They had a couple of good ones. I heard Probert say that Link was his toughest opponent.

I thought the same thing! That fight in San Jose dropped my jaw, it was nasty. I never knew they fought again though..

Being a Devils fan I saw a lot of Randy McKay fights - that guy was made of steel. He took on all heavyweights, one fight stands out. I remember he fought Dave Brown a few times and always did well, but once McKay literally beat the hell out of Brown, it wasn't even funny. I was shocked. That was probably the best fight I ever saw, from a Devils fan pont of view.

Objectively, Probert-Gaetz, Probert-McSorely or Probert-Crowder II take the cake. No one I have ever seen tops Probert.

Carbo N8

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
mcphee said:
Yeah, Kordic and Miller. Miller was like Basil McRae. You'd think the other guy was destroying him, but they'd always come back late in the fight. Must have had hard heads I guess.

I always remember 2 guys in the 60's who'd get into it during the Hab/Leafs games. Ted Harris and Orland Kurtenbach. Both tall rangy guys, they wouldn't even grab the sweaters, they'd box for as long as they had the wind. I saw them get knocked down, get up and knock down the other guy. There was never a question of fighting when the guy was down, the linesman would wait for their signal to step in. It was actually quite gentlemanly. Terry Harper of Mtl. challenged Kurtenback one night and it became like a Gatti fight. Harper was a mess, Kurt didn't want to keep hitting him, but Harper, who lost most of his many fights, wouldn't quit. It may have been the mist blood I've ver seen in a hockey fight. Of course, I don't condone this sort of barbarian behavior.
Poor Harper, I don't know if he ever won a fight. I remember him with Hull-Ottawa Canadiens playing Kingston Frontenacs in the 60s, when J.P. Parise beat him 3 times in the same game. He was game but not very good.

Another one-sided fight was Gordie Howe on "Leapin" Lou Fontinato. I didn't realize that a nose could completely disappear like that without being surgically removed.

I loved the Kordic-Miller fights, but, another one that comes to mind was Mario Roberge on Darin Kimble. Roberge hit Kimble so many times he must have thought he was surrounded.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Carbo N8 said:
mcphee said:
Yeah, Kordic and Miller. Miller was like Basil McRae. You'd think the other guy was destroying him, but they'd always come back late in the fight. Must have had hard heads I guess.

I always remember 2 guys in the 60's who'd get into it during the Hab/Leafs games. Ted Harris and Orland Kurtenbach. Both tall rangy guys, they wouldn't even grab the sweaters, they'd box for as long as they had the wind. I saw them get knocked down, get up and knock down the other guy. There was never a question of fighting when the guy was down, the linesman would wait for their signal to step in. It was actually quite gentlemanly. Terry Harper of Mtl. challenged Kurtenback one night and it became like a Gatti fight. Harper was a mess, Kurt didn't want to keep hitting him, but Harper, who lost most of his many fights, wouldn't quit. It may have been the mist blood I've ver seen in a hockey fight. Of course, I don't condone this sort of barbarian behavior.
Poor Harper, I don't know if he ever won a fight. I remember him with Hull-Ottawa Canadiens playing Kingston Frontenacs in the 60s, when J.P. Parise beat him 3 times in the same game. He was game but not very good.

Another one-sided fight was Gordie Howe on "Leapin" Lou Fontinato. I didn't realize that a nose could completely disappear like that without being surgically removed.

I loved the Kordic-Miller fights, but, another one that comes to mind was Mario Roberge on Darin Kimble. Roberge hit Kimble so many times he must have thought he was surrounded.
I remember that scrap, Kimble was in Boston and after that fight with Roberge his eye was almost swelled shut. Roberge was tossed from the game for having tape on his hand if I remeber right though.

chooch*

this is the dumbest thread since that Who broke your heart nonsense.

KrisKing*

chooch said:

boo hoo

Better lock this thread, the sensibliites police have arrived.

chooch*

KrisKing said:
boo hoo

Better lock this thread, the sensibliites police have arrived.

wanna go? Fighting is plain dumb, hitting is a great part of hockey. fighting is just dumb.

KrisKing*

chooch said:
wanna go? Fighting is plain dumb, hitting is a great part of hockey. fighting is just dumb.

Then I'd suggest you quit checking the thread titled "Best fight ever". I doubt you'll find anything in here that interests you.

p.s. I vote for the Angelstad-Hordichuk fights from in the IHL.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
chooch said:
This thread was rolling along fine for quite some time and now you come in here acting like a jerk and trying to bait people. I hope the mods come after you because you are the one in the wrong. If you cannot add anything to the discussion please stay out of it.

InjunSteve

CARL WINSLOW!
Jan 2, 2005
Granite City, IL
ytmnd.com
i am a hockey fight collector, i have well over 2,500 clips on discs and on my hard drive currently. some of my favorites are:

coxe vs probert(posted above)
kimble vs churla(mentioned already)
reed low vs pj stock
pj stock vs stephen peat
stan jonathan vs Pierre Bouchard
the beatingS darren mccarty laid on cam russel back in 93'.
i got more favorites, but i can't recall them all

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
injun steve said:
i am a hockey fight collector, i have well over 2,500 clips on discs and on my hard drive currently. some of my favorites are:

reed low vs pj stock
pj stock vs stephen peat
can you share some of them? :dunno:

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
injun steve said:

reed low vs pj stock
pj stock vs stephen peat
Between the Stock vs Peat and Stock vs Low, which one did you feel was the better fight. I would go with the Low vs Stock although both were toe to toe beauties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad