Best ever defensive defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay game is on the line, your up by one goal, which defenseman do you trust the most to be on that ice to prevent the game winner? Who is on your list as the best defensive defensemen of all time? There are many. Serge Savard, Rod Langway, Scott Stevens, Doug Harvey etc.......

Ogopogo*

Big Phil said:
Okay game is on the line, your up by one goal, which defenseman do you trust the most to be on that ice to prevent the game winner? Who is on your list as the best defensive defensemen of all time? There are many. Serge Savard, Rod Langway, Scott Stevens, Doug Harvey etc.......

Unfortunately, there is no way to determine that accurately. We have had awards for best defensemen but, that was never an exclusively defensive award. So, unless somebody on this board is 105 and has seen every defenseman play, there is no way to make the determination.

People can talk about the best defensive dman that they have seen but, my guess is that not many people here have seen anybody play much before 1970.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd take Stevens and Lidstrom of the modern crop of defensemen. Two completely different yet greatly effective strategies to shut down offense.

KariyaIsGod*

Judging from second hand accounts Eddie Shore should be amongst the nominees.

Roger's Pancreas*

I don't know any players prior to the 90s but my vote goes to Scott Stevens, his name on Conn Smythe proves how well he played.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
These would be my top 10 since expansion:

1- Scott Stevens
2- Jacques LaPerriere
3- Brad McCrimmon
4- Rod Langway
5- Chris Chelios
6- Ray Bourque
7- Serge Savard
8- Rod Seiling
9- Chris Pronger
10- Niklas Lidstrom

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Dd

Definitely one of the best Def. Dmen I ever saw, Larry Robinson. Also Denis Potvin.

Today, I don't think there is anyone better than Lidstrom.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Macman said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Larry Robinson.

When Rod Langway won his first Norris trophy, he said something to the effect that he wasn't worthy of carrying LR's jockstrap.

Those two, Scott Stevens, Denis Potvin, Ray Bourque, Borje Salming, Viacheslav Fetisov, Serge Savard are the best that I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->