Best clutch performers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
Game 7 Semis v. Boston 1979 (effectively for the Cup) is the most clutch performance I have ever seen in any sport.

If you have that game on tape, slow it down right on that last rush on the game-tying goal and you`ll see that Jacques Lemaire was clearly offside. That`s not to take anything away from Lafleur`s shot, which was just plain scary.

Ogopogo*

chooch said:
Game 7 Semis v. Boston 1979 (effectively for the Cup) is the most clutch performance I have ever seen in any sport.

LOL. Do you watch anything other than Montreal games?

Try Gretzky's game 2 OT shorthanded goal against Mike Vernon in 1988. That was clutch.

What about Messier guaranteeing a Ranger victory in game 6 vs. the Devils in the conference finals 1994. Then he goes out and scores a hat trick, and the Rangers win.

1991 Game 7 Edmonton @ Calgary. Oilers are down 3-0 in the first period and they call a timeout. Tikkanen takes over the time out and hollers at the entire team for the whole 30 seconds. He then goes out and scores 3 goals and one assist - including the winning goal in OT - to give Edmonton the series win.

Last edited by a moderator:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Ogopogo said:
1991 Game 7 Calgary @ Edmonton. Oilers are down 3-0 in the first period and they call a timeout. Tikkanen takes over the time out and hollers at the entire team for the whole 30 seconds. He then goes out and scores 3 goals and one assist - including the winning goal in OT - to give Edmonton the series win.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I hadn't thought about that game (and entire series) in a long time.

It was so beautiful, so intense a series... often lost on those who missed seeing it. It was a classic. And, yes, that was further evidence that Esa was a playoff warrior, as clutch as they come.

Ogopogo*

VanIslander said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I hadn't thought about that game (and entire series) in a long time.

It was so beautiful, so intense a series... often lost on those who missed seeing it. It was a classic. And, yes, that was further evidence that Esa was a playoff warrior, as clutch as they come.

I taped the game and watch it regularly. Anyone that ever questions Tikkanen's talent needs to see that game.

chooch*

Ogopogo said:
LOL. Do you watch anything other than Montreal games?

Try Gretzky's game 2 OT shorthanded goal against Mike Vernon in 1988. That was clutch.

What about Messier guaranteeing a Ranger victory in game 6 vs. the Devils in the conference finals 1994. Then he goes out and scores a hat trick, and the Rangers win.

1991 Game 7 Edmonton @ Calgary. Oilers are down 3-0 in the first period and they call a timeout. Tikkanen takes over the time out and hollers at the entire team for the whole 30 seconds. He then goes out and scores 3 goals and one assist - including the winning goal in OT - to give Edmonton the series win.

Maybe you shoudl watch one in your lifetime.You would forget about yours.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
A name that should be mentioned is Scott Stevens. Everyone remembers the big goals the other guys have scored, but Stevens is a big game player who has been stopping those guys. A couple years ago if you asked me what player I would want going into the playoffs, I would have picked Stevens.(actually I would have said Brodeur, but other than that)

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
In New Jersey's second-round victory over Tampa Bay in 2003, Stevens probably excerpted as much influence on a series from a defensive standpoint as I've ever seen. Lidstrom, Potvin, Robinson... all have stellar playoff resumes.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Any "best clutch performers" list that does not contain the name "Billy Smith" is utter folly.

There have been several NHL goalies who have had remarkable playoff careers. Fuhr, Roy and Brodeur immediately come to mind. And each of those three (especially Roy and Brodeur) have had more illustrious overall careers.

None, however, was greater come the springtime than #31.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
All-clutch #1 unit come the playoffs:

Esa Tikkanen - Mark Messier - Claude Lemieux
Raymond Bourque - Adam Foote
Billy Smith

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
VanIslander said:
All-clutch #1 unit come the playoffs:

Esa Tikkanen - Mark Messier - Claude Lemieux
Raymond Bourque - Adam Foote
Billy Smith

Nice list, but ray bourque??? Most of my memories of Ray in the playoffs are him winding up from the point and missing the Habs goal by about 15 feet time and time again. I like the others though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->