Best clutch performers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

Who would you say would crack the top 5 of the best clutch performers in the playoffs?

I would have to say Mario Lemieux, Rocket Richard, Guy Lafleur, Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky.

Please provide a reason why you chose someone which is what I'll do a little later.

KOVALEV10*

One more name I forgot I would have to say Joe Sakic. Despite being great in the regular season every year he's that much better in the playoffs. Not to mention he's tied with Rocket for the most overtime goals in the playoffs with 6.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
All time in no order I'd go with Gretzky, Richard, Anderson, Lafleur and Sakic. I didnt put Mario on there because even though he was clutch to me he doesnt crack the top 5 over these guys. Anderson has 5 OT goals. Richard is Richard. Ditto for Gretzky. And Sakic is clutch no matter where he plays, whether its international or playoffs. Lafleur was as clutch as anybody in the four Cups from '76-79 so he belongs here too. Lemieux has always been pretty clutch and even in the last two tournament gold medal games he's come up big, but of all time he falls after these guys I think. Although what he did in '87 was pure gold.

Burnaby_Joe*

I don't know about all time, but Joe Sakic is up there.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Deadmarsh is a Detroit killer. :) That's why I love 'im!

Tikkanen got it done often in the postseason, even had three GWGs in a NYR playoff series late in his career.

Claude Lemieux had 19 playoff GWGs. Imagine that. Gretzky is the only guy who has had more, but for a non-superstar to elevate his game when everything is on the line, Claude was incredible.

Uh, I think the previous three are all-around playoff warriors; clutch player is a slightly different but overlapping concept.

Clutch performers: Foote, Roy, Drury, Gretzky, Bourque, Hunter, Messier.

Not Selanne.

SENSible1*

Claude Lemiuex is the named that immediately popped into my head. Other great players continued to dominate the game the same way in the playoffs that they did in the regular season, but no one raised their game more than Claude.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Claude Lemiuex was the first name who came to mind...didn't know the stat about gwg's just remember him with a few different teams being a key guy in winning playoff series on teams that went on to win the cup.

Another player who seemed to elevate his game big time in the playoffs with the Isles dynasty was Billy Smith.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Chili said:
Claude Lemiuex was the first name who came to mind...didn't know the stat about gwg's just remember him with a few different teams being a key guy in winning playoff series on teams that went on to win the cup.

Another player who seemed to elevate his game big time in the playoffs with the Isles dynasty was Billy Smith.

Billy Smith elevated his diving more than anyone.

Burnaby_Joe*

VanIslander said:
Iginla was the biggest clutch player in the 2002 Olympics gold medal game.
People are quick to overlook that.

Sakic was clutch in that game, too. He won the MVP of that tournament. ;)

Sakic and Iginla on the same line is just not fair.

Sakic lead Canada in scoring at the 2002 Olympics. He was 2nd in team scoring behind Lecavalier at the 2004 World Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Jadakiss said:
Sakic was clutch in that game, too. He won the MVP of that tournament. ;)

Sakic and Iginla on the same line is just not fair.

Sakic lead Canada in scoring at the 2002 Olympics. He was 2nd in team scoring behind Lecavalier at the 2004 World Cup.
I totally agree that Sakic was the best over the entire tournament

But Iginla set up the tying goal in the Final with a beautiful pass and then scored the game winner.

And even before that, Iginla was having the most success in a very competitive close-checking game.

I felt at the time he was lost in the postgame glory of the tourney MVP.

Sakic was good in the final too, but Iginla was better. Was clutch.

(and I by no way am a Flames or JL homer. I love the Canucks and was born a month apart from Burnaby Joe in the very same hospital!)

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Peter Forsberg is also pretty good. Joe Sakic I think is the best current player when it comes to clutch play.

If I had to pick a present player to have the puck in the last minute of play I would pick Sakic without a doubt. He can shoot the puck from anywhere and anyway possible and it's going to go in.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Peter Forsberg gets my vote as well. Many playoff seasons he was darn near unstoppable(Think T2 robot)

And why hasn't anyone mentioned Stevie Y? 2002 was maybe the best playoff clutch performance I've ever seen.

Burnaby_Joe*

VanIslander said:
But Iginla set up the tying goal in the Final with a beautiful pass and then scored the game winner.

I'm pretty sure Sakic scored the 3rd goal on a pass from Jovo. Canada won the game 5-2.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
Who would you say would crack the top 5 of the best clutch performers in the playoffs?

I would have to say Mario Lemieux, Rocket Richard, Guy Lafleur, Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky.

Please provide a reason why you chose someone which is what I'll do a little later.

Have you ever had a post that hasn't involved Guy Lafleur?

KOVALEV10*

Benton Fraser said:
Have you ever had a post that hasn't involved Guy Lafleur?

At least its true. Lafleur was the most clutch player of his generation and certainly top 5-10 all time.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
At least its true. Lafleur was the most clutch player of his generation and certainly top 5-10 all time.
Yeah not like calling him one of the players with the most heart.... oh wait?

But i am just jossing you man. I do respect Lafleur, not as much as you it seems, but I do respect him.

chooch*

Benton Fraser said:
Yeah not like calling him one of the players with the most heart.... oh wait?

But i am just jossing you man. I do respect Lafleur, not as much as you it seems, but I do respect him.

Game 7 Semis v. Boston 1979 (effectively for the Cup) is the most clutch performance I have ever seen in any sport.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Habsfan 32 said:
I think you're right. Jovo flipped the puck over an american stick and Sakic took the shot.
Er,... the words were misleading, sorry.

With Canada up a goal they were pressed heavily as the other team tried to equalize. Surely you recall how the chances mounted.

Then Iginla scored the insurance goal which took the wind out of the sails and effectively ended the game.

Plus Iginla scored the tying goal earlier, didn't he?

I just recall both of his goals were huge and he'd been more of an impact guy than Sakic in the final, though both were deserving of three star selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->