Best chance to draft Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
canes arent that bad either, id be surprised if they made the playoffs - but they will likely be one of the teams vying for that last spot down the stretch. somewhere in the 7-15 range.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
hopefully the capitals'...but then again we could have what happened to the pens and 'hawks in '04 when we leap frogged both of them b/c of the lottery

i'd hold my breath till the day of the lottery on who drafts kessel

AgentNaslund*

you left the out th Wild. Some fans are already making up gay lines with Kessel and Pouliot together.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Capitals: Ovechkin-Semin-Kessel (line..WOW)

Carolina: Staal - Ladd - Kessel (pretty damn good)

no way of this...but imagin Pittsburgh: Malkin - Crosby - Kessel (would be call the OMG line)

I think Washington is the early favorite to finish last, and get the most balls in the lottery.

Skroob*

Ovechkin said:
I'm going with

Caps
Canes
Rangers

I agree, and in that order. The rangers, unfortunately, may have taken themselves out of the running with some of the moves they made in the offseason. The caps and canes on the other hand, have done absolutely nothing to improve this off season.

The biggest move the caps made is bringing in Bryan Muir. what a joke.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Same as before....

scoutman1 said:

no way of this...but imagin Pittsburgh: Malkin - Crosby - Kessel (would be call the OMG line)

I think Washington is the early favorite to finish last, and get the most balls in the lottery.

The draft lottery will work the same it has before from 1995 - 2004. The 5 worst teams in the NHL will be the only ones who can have the #1 slot, as the lottery winner can only move up 4 slots. So, the worst team in the NHL will have their 25% chance of winning it, plus the percentage of the #6 to #14 chances of winning the draft lottery, bringing their chances of maintaining the #1 pick to the 40 odd percent range.

Given the history of the NHL lottery:

1995 - LA wins, but the Sens maintain #1 pick
1996 - Sens wins, keep #1 pick
1997 - Boston wins, keeps #1 pick
1998 - FLA's pick at #3 wins,
1999 - Chicago at #8 wins and moves up. TB keeps #1 pick but trades it away
2000 - Isles win, move to #1
2001 - Atlanta wins lottery moves to #1
2002 - Florida wins draft lottery goes to #1, but trades down
2003 - Pens win lottery, move to #1
2004 - Caps win lottery, move to #1

So, with team with the worst record in the NHL has maintained the #1 pick in the NHL draft in 4/10 years it has been implemented. So, roughly what the percentages are for the draft lottery. Just under a 50/50 chance of keeping the pick.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Skroob said:
I agree, and in that order. The rangers, unfortunately, may have taken themselves out of the running with some of the moves they made in the offseason. The caps and canes on the other hand, have done absolutely nothing to improve this off season.

The season hasnt started yet so its hard to say what their biggest move is or will be....but having said that I can think of at least a few bigger moves that they made......none of them "big" but certainly bigger than that

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Skroob said:

If you ignore Cassels, Clark, Sykora, and the addition of Ovechkin...sure.

The Pens, Atlanta, even Carolina and Colombus have been building for years.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Street Hawk said:
The draft lottery will work the same it has before from 1995 - 2004. The 5 worst teams in the NHL will be the only ones who can have the #1 slot, as the lottery winner can only move up 4 slots. So, the worst team in the NHL will have their 25% chance of winning it, plus the percentage of the #6 to #14 chances of winning the draft lottery, bringing their chances of maintaining the #1 pick to the 40 odd percent range.

Given the history of the NHL lottery:

1995 - LA wins, but the Sens maintain #1 pick
1996 - Sens wins, keep #1 pick
1997 - Boston wins, keeps #1 pick
1998 - FLA's pick at #3 wins,
1999 - Chicago at #8 wins and moves up. TB keeps #1 pick but trades it away
2000 - Isles win, move to #1
2001 - Atlanta wins lottery moves to #1
2002 - Florida wins draft lottery goes to #1, but trades down
2003 - Pens win lottery, move to #1
2004 - Caps win lottery, move to #1

So, with team with the worst record in the NHL has maintained the #1 pick in the NHL draft in 4/10 years it has been implemented. So, roughly what the percentages are for the draft lottery. Just under a 50/50 chance of keeping the pick.

Florida won the lottery in 2003 but elected to trade the #1 pick to Pittsburgh for a swap of second rounder / third rounder I believe. Florida thought their player, Nathan Horton, would fall to 3rd while Pittsburgh wanted Fleury and was afraid the Hurricanes would nab him at #2.

ftyutin51

Jul 2, 2004
Huntington Bay, NY
scoutman1 said:

RE: Malkin - Crosby - Kessel line.. It shouldn't be called the 'OMG' line.. it should be called the 'PMS' line.. cause they'll be scoring against you so many times, its worse than hearing the things your gf/wife/sister/cousin/etc. say when they're PMSing. :D

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Caps, Rangers, and either St Louis/Buffalo/Minnesota

Remember the last season... we didn't expect either the Rangers or the Caps to go firesale on their talent. I predict atleast one team will firesale their way to Kessel

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
AgentNaslund said:
you left the out th Wild. Some fans are already making up gay lines with Kessel and Pouliot together.

hahaha, I don't know why but that made me burst out laughing.

My guess is: Caps,Rangers and the Wild, maybe Carolina but I see them being a better team then the panthers.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I actually wouldn't want to finish last..would suck to lose out on Kessel but at least you would have the 2nd pic. Honestly for the caps a bottom five finish i can deal with...not withstanding all the planets aligning and somehow the caps play well and finish 6-10, heh.

Skroob*

EroCaps said:
If you ignore Cassels, Clark, Sykora, and the addition of Ovechkin...sure.

The Pens, Atlanta, even Carolina and Columbus have been building for years.

uh, i think you are thinking of the wrong Sykora. The Sykora they got has a whopping 2 NHL games to his credit, not the one with 200 goals to his name.

The Clark you mentioned is Chris Clark, not Wendel, who, though retired, would do more for the caps than Chris will.

Ovechkin was already theirs.

And yes, Atlanta has been building. Columbus has been building. And the Pens too. The difference is, those teams have been adding to those young cores, veterans and established players to (1) teach the young ens and (2) remain somewhat competitive this off season now that the NHL is "fair." Washington has not done that.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Skroob said:
uh, i think you are thinking of the wrong Sykora. The Sykora they got has a whopping 2 NHL games to his credit, not the one with 200 goals to his name.

The Clark you mentioned is Chris Clark, not Wendel, who, though retired, would do more for the caps than Chris will.

Ovechkin was already theirs.

And yes, Atlanta has been building. Columbus has been building. And the Pens too. The difference is, those teams have been adding to those young cores, veterans and established players to (1) teach the young ens and (2) remain somewhat competitive this off season now that the NHL is "fair." Washington has not done that.

The additions I mentioned are more notable than Muir, aren't they? McPhee/Leonsis have said they plan on making big splashes when they feel like their core has grown together, and not build a team of FA mercs.

Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad