Best Call of Duty?

Best COD?

• Total voters

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Which Call of Duty game do you think is best?

My favorite is probably MW3 for the multiplayer, but I loved all the Black Ops games for Zombies. Also like COD4, MW2, and WaW. Hate Ghosts, AW, and IW. WW2 is ok.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
MW 2 was the most fun for me. Single player and multiplayer. Could just be nostalgia though

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Bo2 for me. Didn’t get to play bo1 multiplayer not really anyway. Bo2 has the best zombies as well imo

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Original Black Ops for me. MW2 was my first online multiplayer game and I loved it, I just really sucked at it. After playing that a ton for a year I got to the point of being at least decent. Then BO1 released and I sunk my entire life into it lol. Loved that game, spotty hit detection and all.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Trick question.

The answer is Titanfall 2.

I think it's between the original, MW1, and BO1 for me. I think Black Ops takes it considering time played.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I played the absolute shit out of blops 1 and mw3 so probably one of them for me. Although mw1 had my favourite campaign i think

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Man this one is a hard choice for me....

Overall = COD4 - Great campaign, online play was perfect, simple, but incredibly fun.

Campaign - COD:WaW - The combination of the setting and difficulty (on Veteran) made the game awesome. And the introduction of vehicles was pretty awesome as well.

Co-op = COD:WaW - I absolutely loved the original zombies maps, especially Shi No Numa (jungle map)

Multiplayer = COD: Black Ops 1 - The introduction of Wager Matches won this one over for me, Sticks n Stones and Sharpshooter are some of my favorite FPS modes of all-time. The regular Multi-player was alright, but the saturation of Kill-streaks introduced into MW2 started to kill the game for me.

To be fair though, I stopped buying Call of Duty after BO2, so I may be a little biased.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
MW2 was my first online experience and it was awesome. The game was broken with so many glitches, but it was still fun as hell. But honestly the games from MW2 to BO2 I all enjoyed. Ghosts was the worst game I've ever played. Don't have a single positive thing to say about it. Advanced Warfare was fun for a while then got super annoying. BO3 was better, but still not great. I haven't had enough time to play WW2, but I've enjoyed it in my limited amount of play time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm surprised that I'm the only one who's voted for the original so far. That's far and away the best game of the series. How many other entries in the series won multiple Game of the Year awards, let alone were nominated? Back then, the storytelling and action were fresh and creative, not tiring and lazy. To me, the first two games are the only good games in the series and the only ones that I've ever replayed.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Went with the original. I played the hell out of it back in the day on my PC.

I'm surprised that I'm the only one who's voted for the original so far. That's far and away the best game of the series. How many other entries in the series won multiple Game of the Year awards, let alone were nominated? Back then, the storytelling and action were fresh and creative, not tiring and lazy. To me, the first two games are the only good games in the series and the only ones that I've ever replayed.

Great minds think alike. :cheers:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
COD 4 followed by Black Ops. The more they tried to innovate and add things to the game, the worse they got

Agreed. I've played since the original (though I haven't played a game since Ghosts). The first Modern Warfare is responsible for the proliferation of the FPS genre in the decade since. It was revolutionary, on top of being an excellent game (it had a great and challenging campaign, and the multiplayer was amazing). Blacks Ops was the only game I felt that could closely replicate MW1's quality. In my mind, the best multiplayer since Modern Warfare, and an amazing campaign to boot (that as of this year, is going to spawn the longest recurring sub-series of all the Call of Duty's). They also happened to be the only two Call of Duty's that I reached maximum prestige on.

I played all the ones before MW1 (including the spinoffs that aren't even listed here, Big Red One and Finest Hour), and up until Ghosts (though I skipped Blops 2 because I was burned out).

I think MW2 is the most overrated in the series. It was the game that began the descent of the games into the absurdity they are today (the bad campaigns and the horribly balanced multiplayer). Maps started to go downhill in MW2, and save for a brilliant reprieve in Blops (which in my mind, had the best maps in the series), it's all been bad since then. MW3 had horrible maps, and Ghosts got even worst. Killed the series for me as a result.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Speaking strictly multiplayer, It's between the first two Black Ops and Modern Warfare games for me. Went with MW2 because despite balance issues it was probably the most fun I've had playing a multiplayer game.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
COD4 and it's not even remotely close.

The relationship between MW and MW2 is the same as Halo 2 and Halo 3 IMHO. In that MW (like Halo 2) was such a game-changing and foundational online experience that it's tough not to love it more, but if you really think about it, MW2 (like Halo 3) did everything the previous game did, just a little better. It added new things and refined the things that needed to be refined.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The relationship between MW and MW2 is the same as Halo 2 and Halo 3 IMHO. In that MW (like Halo 2) was such a game-changing and foundational online experience that it's tough not to love it more, but if you really think about it, MW2 (like Halo 3) did everything the previous game did, just a little better. It added new things and refined the things that needed to be refined.

I felt both the single-player set-pieces and the multiplayer balance were notably worse in MW2.

Spec-Ops mode was ****ing awesome though. I'd like that back in a future COD game, way more than another zombies mode.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I felt both the single-player set-pieces and the multiplayer balance were notably worse in MW2.

Yes. The balance is the key reason MW2 shouldn’t be the best. Black Ops is really the only Call of Duty that got the expanded kill streak rewards properly balanced, MW2 didn’t. Chopper Gunner was unbelievably OP early on (It was almost an automatic nuke if I could hide properly after getting it). Care package spam also ensured something was always going on. Guns weren’t as horribly balanced as later games, same with the maps, but they paled in comparison to MW1 and Blops.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
In terms of hours played

MW2 > MW > WAW

In terms of my enjoyment

WAW > MW > MW2

I just really loved World at War for some reason. I hoped WW2 was going to be a good, up to date equivalent but it missed the mark for me. Probably done with the franchise at this point as it was my last hope

Reactions: Lancer

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Modern Warfare or Modern Warfare 2 I guess. I enjoyed them both and they are the only reason I even gave WWII a chance. I hated the black ops series and I didn't even both with that space crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->