Best Calder race ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
turnbuckle said:
I am new to hockey, and can only judge from what I read here.

My pick is Guillaume Latendresse - he sounds like a good skater.

Latendresse has a slim chance of even playing in the NHL this year. Not many make the team right after being drafted.

I honestly think Carter will make the Calder before Crosby. Nothing against Crosby, but Carter's ability, while being placed upon a very impressive Philadelphia team, will do wonders.

Vipers

May 17, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I think there are three favorites:

Ovechkin
Crosby
Lehtonen

I think both Ovechkin and Crosby could put up solid numbers, and Lehtonen could very well entrench himself as the number one guy in Atlanta.

Nurminen is still a member of Atlanta and # 1 goalie.
He's only restricted free agent.
He's 29 yrs old and will be re-signed.
Atlanta has the team to be in the playoffs next year and they will not let the goals to a fulltime rookie.
Lehtonen will have between 25-35 games, not enough to be a Calder
finalist.
Samething to Toivonen, Raycroft is the one to move out and it wouldn't be an easy thing.

Ovechkin and Crosby are the prefered candidates.
But, the way Carter and Richards have done in the AHL playoffs, give them also
a chance to be there.
Missing only Malkin and the plate will be complete.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I think Crosby has to have the upper hand, especially if hes going to be playing on a line with Mario and Recchi....I dont see any other of the prospects being put on a line like that.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Tis what happens when you've essentially got two years worth of NHL rookies coming in at the same time, combined with the whole cap situation forcing teams to play youth over aging veterans.

You are indeed right by saying this year could be absolutely outstanding for rookies.

djtino224

May 12, 2005
Long Island
Seeing all these talented young players come into the league is what has me most excited about this upcoming season.

It will be one hell of a Calder race.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Logically it should be a fantastic year.

There are two years of "first year" players entering the league at the same time.

That said, there are a few guys mentioned that I think have very minute chances at the award, and those two are Mike Richards and Ryan Suter. And it has absolutely nothing to do with their abilities, I love both of them as prospects, but they don't play the style that is likely to attract attention in the rich environment they will be facing.

Firefighter Havok

Jul 1, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
tom_servo said:
My money is on Malkin coming over this year. The Penguins have until August 15th to wrest Malkin from his Russian contract, and Pens management has expressed an interest in doing so.

I think it just depends on what Malkin wants to do. He may make a bit more at the moment in the RSL, but his agent knows where the long-term money is. Malkin has reportedly been taking English lessons for a year, so that may be an indication that he's prepared to cross the pond.

Craig Patrick was already quoted in this morning's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review as saying, "We'd like to get him over here as soon as we possibly can." Later in the article he was again quoted as saying, "Based on what Malkin did last year, he's definitely ready." Go get 'em boys!!!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Matt MacInnis said:
Logically it should be a fantastic year.

There are two years of "first year" players entering the league at the same time.

That said, there are a few guys mentioned that I think have very minute chances at the award, and those two are Mike Richards and Ryan Suter. And it has absolutely nothing to do with their abilities, I love both of them as prospects, but they don't play the style that is likely to attract attention in the rich environment they will be facing.

I'm a huge Suter fan...and I agree that his chances are pretty slim. Calder winning defensemen are usually the offensive variety.

NewHabsEra*

Crosby is expected to center the first line with Lemieux and Recchi as linemates so its obvious he has the best shot at winning the Calder...

Ovechkin, while IMO superior to Crosby right now, wont have the chance to reach points as Crosby will... Capitals are actually one of the weakest teams in the league.. McPhee will have to do a hell of job to put a competitive team on the ice so dont expect Ovechkin put great numbers next season...

Carter will probably have the chance to center 2 solid wingers with an always strong Flyers line-up... Will probably center Flyers' second line and get PP2 minutes... I wouldnt be surprised to see him reach about 50-55 points but it wont be enough to get the Calder.

Perezhogin is without any doubt the most underrated prospect on HF boards... He has world class skills and is 100% NHL ready... The question is to know on what line will he play? On the first with Koivu (supposing he is back) or on the second with Ribeiro? He is actually our most skilled winger and should see PP1 time early in the season unless we sign a guy like Kovalev... Zhoghy has the advantage to be older than any of the top rookies above, he also played 1 full AHL season including some playoffs experience. (Was tied with Semin just before his suspension regarding PPG average) He took part at the Russians Stars vs NHL stars event where he scored a beauty on one timer and assited one... Its not to be a blind fan to have Perezhogin as a serious candidate for the Calder, just the logic.

Lehtonen is one if not the best prospect in the world but to be a goalkeeper for the Trashers isnt an easy thing... Thin chances IMO

Phaneuf is a young defenseman, will be a NHL star without any doubt but I really dont think he has a good shot at the Calder as soon as next season... Big skilled defensemans takes some seasonning to adjust..

Parise could play a big role with New Jersey, should be in the race as well.

Depending on what line Dustin Brown is used, could be a dark horse.

We will have a better idea once every teams are fixed regarding free agents...

Once you know on what line or what linemates those kids are gonna play with, its easier to expect who has the best shot at the Calder trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Next Best Thing*

Well seeing as how Lemieux can pretty much BE the whole 1st line, I suppose Crosby will reap a whole bunch of benifits. Man this must be ideal for his development... playing alongside one other the best NHLer of all time, no wonder he likes Pittsburg.

Oh and while I really dont think Zhogy has any chance of winning the calder, he might make a very decent run for it if he plays on first trio (or maybe second with Ribs? he can set him up like the best of 'em) with good ice time as mentioned by the previous poster.

Zaitsev

Nov 25, 2003
Montreal, Canada
good post Newhabsarea

Heres my top 10 and some comments to justify my choices.

1-Crosby Will play with Lemieux on the first line so he will gets alots of points.
2-Malking ( If he plays with pitsburg this year he will see alot of PP time and may play with Sid and Lemieux.
3-Carter Will probably play with Gagné on the top 2 lines and most likely to see alot of PP time. Denfense is not a concern so he should see alot of ice in his firs nhl season.
4-Ovechkin Even if hes really skilled, the lack of support will hurt his production unless washington signs big name .. and thats unlikely to happen.
5-Lehtonen Goalies like Defs takes more time to devlop so I dont expet him to play more than 20-30 games and that wont be enough to contender.
6-Dion Phaneuf Dion will be an Elite Defenseman but like Lethonen he may need 2 or maybe 3 season to reach that level ( see J-Bo ) But who knows..
7-Vanek Very skilled players and will probably play on the top 2 lines. He seems ready and could surprise.
8-Richards even if Im a big fan of him He will probably play on the 3rd line so it will be very hard for him to get enough points to be a serious contender.
9-PerezhoginIf Montreal fails to sign Kovalev he may play on the first line with Koivu and zednik and could get enough icetime to produce. A darkhorse IMHO
10-Suter Ready to play in the big league but like Phaneuf I dont think he will shine in his first season specially on a team like Nashville.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Zaitsev said:
good post Newhabsarea

Heres my top 10 and some comments to justify my choices.

1-Crosby Will play with Lemieux on the first line so he will gets alots of points.
2-Malking ( If he plays with pitsburg this year he will see alot of PP time and may play with Sid and Lemieux.
3-Carter Will probably play with Gagné on the top 2 lines and most likely to see alot of PP time. Denfense is not a concern so he should see alot of ice in his firs nhl season.
4-Ovechkin Even if hes really skilled, the lack of support will hurt his production unless washington signs big name .. and thats unlikely to happen.
5-Lehtonen Goalies like Defs takes more time to devlop so I dont expet him to play more than 20-30 games and that wont be enough to contender.
6-Dion Phaneuf Dion will be an Elite Defenseman but like Lethonen he may need 2 or maybe 3 season to reach that level ( see J-Bo ) But who knows..
7-Vanek Very skilled players and will probably play on the top 2 lines. He seems ready and could surprise.
8-Richards even if Im a big fan of him He will probably play on the 3rd line so it will be very hard for him to get enough points to be a serious contender.
9-PerezhoginIf Montreal fails to sign Kovalev he may play on the first line with Koivu and zednik and could get enough icetime to produce. A darkhorse IMHO
10-Suter Ready to play in the big league but like Phaneuf I dont think he will shine in his first season specially on a team like Nashville.

The lack of support could help Ovechkin, who is already more NHL ready than the 3 you put before him. I would put Ovechkin and Lehtonen on top of this list w/Crosby next. If he wins the Calder, it's more to do w/Lemieux.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Patrick O'Sullivan with Rolston and Gaborik might turn some heads. I think O'Sullivan is ready now. He has had time to mature in the OHL and with his speed and his finishing abilities, should be able to match up well unlike Bouchard and Burns.

Zaitsev

Nov 25, 2003
Montreal, Canada
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Patrick O'Sullivan with Rolston and Gaborik might turn some heads. I think O'Sullivan is ready now. He has had time to mature in the OHL and with his speed and his finishing abilities, should be able to match up well unlike Bouchard and Burns.

Yeah I agree with you.. hes also a name to consider .... like many others ( Parize , Michalek , Barker , Witney, Coburn , Kostisyn to name only a few )

NewHabsEra*

Zaitsev said:
Yeah I agree with you.. hes also a name to consider .... like many others ( Parize , Michalek , Barker , Witney, Coburn , Kostisyn to name only a few )

I would be shocked if ever Kostitsyn makes the team this fall... He has not dominated in the AHL yet... At best we could see him at some point this winter IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad