OT: Best BBQ restaurant in Arizona

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I was born in Memphis. I didn't discover Mid-South BBQ (Mid-South is to Memphis what The Valley of the Sun is to Phoenix) until around the turn of the Millenium. So, getting goo 'Q in the Valley can be tough. Does anybody know any good BBQ restaurants in the Phoenix area, or in the Grand Canyon State in general? I don't mind if the 'Q is generic or from some other region of the country. I'm willing to experiment.

(I didn't go to "Memphis in May," the month-long BBQ fest in my birthplace, because a cousin who lives in the city graduates this weekend. I did LAST YEAR. Maybe next year? )

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I’m a fan of Bobby Q. There are multiple locations in the Valley, though the one I go to is next to the I-17 south of Dunlap.

Last edited:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I was born in Memphis. I didn't discover Mid-South BBQ (Mid-South is to Memphis what The Valley of the Sun is to Phoenix) until around the turn of the Millenium.

I may have just the place for you. That thin vinegar based Memphis style is new to me, but someone with a place there opened one in downtown Chandler, called West Alley BBQ (apparently named after his place in Memphis). Worth trying, I liked it... I'm from Florida, so whoever's style we stole, that's what I'm into. When I moved here in the 90s it was all Chicago and Texas style (yuk), it wasn't until the chain Famous Dave's got here we had something worth going for. But others have arrived since. As sorta mentioned in another thread I worked near that metro center Bobby qs, I thought it okay, but pricey.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I may have just the place for you. That thin vinegar based Memphis style is new to me, but someone with a place there opened one in downtown Chandler, called West Alley BBQ (apparently named after his place in Memphis).

West Alley. That sounds like Rendezvous, a famous Memphis BBQ restaurant that's set in an alley just north of the famous Peabody Hotel. (I don't know if he owns the Rendezvous, but I know the connection.) I will try it out.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I’m a fan of Bobby Q. There are multiple locations in the Valley, though the one I go to is next to the I-17 south of Dunlap.

My dad wasn't impressed, but if there's isn't a game on my birthday (and I don't have finals on Dec. 12 at Mesa Community College (MCC)), I'll head over to the Mesa location for dinner.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Little Miss is the Best in PHX no question but good luck getting it. Have to show up at 10:30 or so and get in line. When they run out.. they run out. BobbyQs is excellent .. ribs and Qrolls are my favs.. best Mac and Cheese ever. Also try The BBQ company on Broadway and 38th St.
The Barbecue Company | Award Winning Barbecue Restaurant | BBQ Restaurant Phoenix AZ | BBQ Restaurant WI | BBQ Catering | Barbecue Ribs | Barbecue Meatloaf | BBQ Sauses, Spices & Rubs | Barbecue Pulled Pork

Honorable mention to Can't stop Smokin BBQ. Awesome peach cobbler and ribs.

Valleysmokers LLC dba Cantstopsmokin BBQ AZ - Home

Last edited:
Reactions: CC96

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Brother John in Tucson. It's the real deal. The stuff up here just doesn't compare.

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Texas BBQ House
5037 S 24th St, Phoenix, AZ 85040

Only opened for lunch but by far the best BBQ I have had here. I have tried the likes of Bobby Q, Famous Daves, Little Miss BBQ, Hap's Pit BBQ, etc.

Reactions: Grimes

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I love Bobby Q, but I'm a big Kansas City style fan. There's three brands of BBQ, especially concerning restaurants - KC, Memphis, and Texas. But that's also simplifying it all. Bobby Q is closer to KC style than the others

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Little Miss BBQ is the best BBQ not only in Phoenix but the entire southwest. Check out Yelp and Google reviews on this joint.
Another favorite of mine in Frashers BBQ on 32nd Street and Indian School in Phoenix. Reasonably priced at Frashers.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
My dad wasn't impressed, but if there's isn't a game on my birthday (and I don't have finals on Dec. 12 at Mesa Community College (MCC)), I'll head over to the Mesa location for dinner.

It's a popular place, but there's no way that clown has the best BBQ in town. Bob Sikora is an entrepreneur, not a chef, cook or pit master.

Honey Bears is good, but perhaps too sweet for some. The Barbecue Co, in S. Phoenix is good as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maybe I'm just lame or haven't tried many others, but Joe's BBQ in Gilbert is pretty bomb.

I am partial to that loaded baked potato though.
It is quite good. Consistency is an issue. I’ve had very over cooked ribs more than once as well as very over cooked pulled pork more than once. I’ve also had absolutely amazing servings of both. Hit and miss.

It happens when preparing barbecue and smoked meats. Sometimes the ends get over done and sometimes certain areas in the cooking vessel are hotter than they should be. This is unavoidable. It’s really just a question of making sure those pieces don’t end up on the plates of your customers.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Surprised not to hear Honey Bears. They have two locations, but neither are in super great areas. Central/Thomas and 48th street/Van Buren. Awesome food.

Also use to enjoy Thee Pitts Again (59th ave and Bell) but haven’t been in years.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Surprised not to hear Honey Bears. They have two locations, but neither are in super great areas. Central/Thomas and 48th street/Van Buren. Awesome food.

Also use to enjoy Thee Pitts Again (59th ave and Bell) but haven’t been in years.

Honey Bear's is okay. Like their hot link sandwich the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad