Best and worst franchises in CHL

Brando

May 21, 2017
I would say London is probably at the top. Saint John is probably one of the top Q teams with Moncton, Halifax and maybe Rimouski being pretty high up too.

Worst would probably be Flint.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
QMJHL

Best: Halifax, Moncton, Quebec, Saint John

Teams like Rimouski and Shawinigan are also highly regarded.

Worst: Acadie-Bathurst, Baie-Comeau

Then there are teams with not much money but still in decent shape like Cape Breton, Charlottetown, Chicoutimi, etc.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
OHL

Best: London, although is that really surprising? They've had a team for ages, they have competant management, they have huge loyal fanbases and they are making money hand over fist and a great facility.

I'd probably pick Kitchner after that one, only because the Aud is a cramped arena, but it certainly has it's own charm to it.

Worst: Missisauga, the team continues to struggle to draw people in, even with an appearance in the finals, they play out of the weirdly designed Hershey Center, I for one can't understand the appeal of the fish branding of the franchise, nor why you'd try to parasite yourself on the Leaf's colors and not try to be your own tea.

After that, I'd probably go with Flint, because while I am to understand they play out of a modern facility, the ownership/coaching debacle of the first season has pretty much crippled this franchise's ability to succeed. Speak nothing of the water supply issues, and the housing and absurdly high violent crime rate the city is suffering through.

Dr0k

Mar 12, 2016
QMJHL

Best: Halifax, Moncton, Quebec, Saint John

Teams like Rimouski and Shawinigan are also highly regarded.

Worst: Acadie-Bathurst, Baie-Comeau

Then there are teams with not much money but still in decent shape like Cape Breton, Charlottetown, Chicoutimi, etc.
Baie-Comeau worst? They just made to the finals two years in a row and they got one of the most promising team in the QMJHL for the next 3 seasons. Their GM is doing an amazing job considering the fact that they are a small market. They also have one of the best ratio of assistance compared to population. I would put more a team like Charlottetown in the worst concessions of the league.. They finally just made it to the 2nd round of the playoff for the first time in their history.......

Last edited:

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
OHL

Worst: Missisauga, the team continues to struggle to draw people in, even with an appearance in the finals, they play out of the weirdly designed Hershey Center, I for one can't understand the appeal of the fish branding of the franchise, nor why you'd try to parasite yourself on the Leaf's colors and not try to be your own tea.

Just a random observation....the Credit River in Mississauga is home to a huge steelhead run in the spring every year.....

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Baie-Comeau worst? They just made to the finals two years in a row and they got one of the most promising team in the QMJHL for the next 3 seasons. Their GM is doing an amazing job considering the fact that they are a small market. They also have one of the best ratio of assistance compared to population. I would put more a team like Charlottetown in the worst concessions of the league.. They finally just made it to the 2nd round of the playoff for the first time in their history.......

We arent talking about performance. But about overall quality of the franchises - stadium, management, city ...

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Im only really familiar with the OHL but aside from the obvious London and Kitchener I would list Owen Sound as well the are always ice a competitive team and have a passionate fan base in spite of the obvious financial challenge of being in a very small market.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Not too sure in the Q, but Kelowna has to be on this list for the W - always competitive, stable ownership, produce lots of pros, fan base from what I know is very good. Maybe even Regina, Brandon?

I don't see how a conversation about top franchises in the OHL cannot include Windsor (not just a homer pick). Solid, rabid fan base, even during the down years, and the old Windsor Arena, but once the new ownership took over, new arena, produce a ton of pros, solid fan base.

London for sure, Kitchener, used to be Plymouth, but to see what has happened since they moved to Flint - sad kind of. Oshawa wouldn't be out of the conversation either, especially historically.

Reactions: hockeyguytoo

mario01

Nov 9, 2017
Best: Halifax, Quebec, Saint John
Worst: Acadie-Bathursthttp://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/isna/6/o.png

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
QMJHL:

Best: Halifax, Quebec, Rouyn-Noranda, Saint John
Worst: Baie-Comeau, Cape Breton, Sherbrooke, Bathurst

OHL:
Best: London, Kitchener, Windsor, Sault Ste Marie
Worst: Flint, Sudbury, Mississauga, Saginaw

WHL:
Best: Kelowna, Portland, Brandon, Regina
Worst: Kootenay, Lethbridge, Prince George, Kamloops

Reactions: AboveandBeyond

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Kingston is brutal.

They have zero playoff success to bank on, their fan relations are terrible. Ticket prices are through the roof, management is full of themselves and ownership is cheap. Take a look around here, the only time anyone talks about them is when they're making trades. Their own fans don't even have an online presence.

I expect more out of a 45 year old team.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Sudbury Wolves (OHL) have to be one of worst in the CHL. Also, their logo gotta be the ugliest hockey logo ever. - no offence -

- They play in a arena that was built in 1951

- Now i don't know how the team is managed,but at least success wisely...

- 1972 -> zero championships, zero times in the memorial cup,they've been in the finals only once
- 16 x missed the play-offs
- only 12 x passed over the 2nd round of play-offs

-currently holds the third to worst w% (.348) in the CHL, worst: Shawinigan Chataractes (.330) (QMJHL)
second to worst : Flint Firebirds (.341) (OHL)

Uncle Slick

Mar 1, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have no real insight into the Q or out west.
Based on quality of the franchises - rink, management, city ...
OHL:
Best: London, Kitchener, Sault Ste Marie, Oshawa, Ottawa.
Good: Sarnia, Windsor, Peterborough, Barrie
Poor: Niagara, Mississauga
Worst: Flint.

Niagara
- rink has new mgmt team, i hear there's better dialogue with city, and the Burkes.
- mgmt, the Burke's are cheap, run a lean op - friends, family & interns, also this $250,000 fine will hurt.
- city, support is region wide, not solely based on residents of St Catharines; support is good, not nearly the level of
London, Kitchener, Oshawa. Fore the most part, game tickets easy to obtain.
- city staff not totally on the ball as far as Ice Dogs concerned, some valid concerns - that's certainly a 2-way street,
but problems with anchor tenant, rink mgmt firm and city staff prompted a new rink mgmt team, summer of '17.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I don't see how a conversation about top franchises in the OHL cannot include Windsor (not just a homer pick). Solid, rabid fan base, even during the down years, and the old Windsor Arena, but once the new ownership took over, new arena, produce a ton of pros, solid fan base.

Windsor is showing their lowest average attendance this season over any of the previous 10 by a mile.

Spitifires Average Attendance

2018/19 4140
2017/18 4730
2016/17 4992
2015/16 4775
2014/15 5067
2013/14 5306
2012/13 5691
2011/12 5859
2010/11 6250
2009/10 6278
2008/09 5063

Not too sure in the Q, but Kelowna has to be on this list for the W - always competitive, stable ownership, produce lots of pros, fan base from what I know is very good. Maybe even Regina, Brandon?

London for sure, Kitchener, used to be Plymouth, but to see what has happened since they moved to Flint - sad kind of. Oshawa wouldn't be out of the conversation either, especially historically.
Windsor can't even crack 5000 a game consistently..even when they have a good team. I wouldn't group them in the top 5 in the OHL for fan base.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Here’s my opinions

QMJHL
Best: Halifax
Worst: Bathurst (financially struggle)

OHL
Best: London
Worst: Flint

WHL
Best: Kelowna
Worst: Kootenay (leaving this season)

Reactions: AboveandBeyond

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
OHL

After that, I'd probably go with Flint, because while I am to understand they play out of a modern facility, the ownership/coaching debacle of the first season has pretty much crippled this franchise's ability to succeed. Speak nothing of the water supply issues, and the housing and absurdly high violent crime rate the city is suffering through.

Flint has a modern building in that it has a roof, but after that it is a barebones rink more akin to Sarnia or Peterborough. They really have made a mess of things.

Prince George has to be one of the worst. Haven’t won in ages, just a bad culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->