Best and worst developement for prospects drafted out of the first rounds.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Easily? I agree he's having a great D+1 season, but have you looked at last year's first round? LOTS of great picks.
Lind would definitely be in first round, but late first round. If you have Cody Glass in your first round, then Lind deserves to be too. Higher ppg on a slightly worse offensive team too

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
WHL is probably the league i watch the least but that cant be right. Glass is a blue chipper through and through.
Which part of those facts can't be right? The only thing glass has going for him right now is more pre draft hype and higher draft position.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Which part of those facts can't be right? The only thing glass has going for him right now is more pre draft hype and higher draft position.

Cody Glass probably fills in next year at 3C for Vegas, he's pretty much NHL ready at this point. Will need to add some strength and some speed to his game to be dominant, but he's almost there.

Lind ? He has some severe case of lead foot on his first few steps and thats a killer in the NHL. I see him going through the motion in the AHL.

Lind has a better PPG for sure, and teams are really similar, Both best players on their team too.

Obviously you're a Canucks fan so I see why you'd think Lind might be a comparable but at this point I'll still give benefit of the doubt to the better skater of the two and the better D+D1 player.

If Lind keeps developping at this rate he could be a fantastic player though, we've seen it happen many times with 2nd rounder.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Cody Glass probably fills in next year at 3C for Vegas, he's pretty much NHL ready at this point. Will need to add some strength and some speed to his game to be dominant, but he's almost there.

Lind ? He has some severe case of lead foot on his first few steps and thats a killer in the NHL. I see him going through the motion in the AHL.

Lind has a better PPG for sure, and teams are really similar, Both best players on their team too.

Obviously you're a Canucks fan so I see why you'd think Lind might be a comparable but at this point I'll still give benefit of the doubt to the better skater of the two and the better D+D1 player.

If Lind keeps developping at this rate he could be a fantastic player though, we've seen it happen many times with 2nd rounder.
Speed is very overrated recently. It is important but if you're a good player regardless, it won't stop you. People said the same things about Boeser and Horvat. And then you get the speedy junior scorers who can't translate like Tyler motte, hunter shinkaruk, etc.

I do agree that Glass is better right now, and plays a more important position. But if glass is in your top 15-20, then no way Lind is not at least in 25-30

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Speed is very overrated recently. It is important but if you're a good player regardless, it won't stop you. People said the same things about Boeser and Horvat. And then you get the speedy junior scorers who can't translate like Tyler motte, hunter shinkaruk, etc.

I do agree that Glass is better right now, and plays a more important position. But if glass is in your top 15-20, then no way Lind is not at least in 25-30

Wouldnt agree that speed is overrated. Would agree that you can have success without it.

The real killer is first steps. If you have no explosion, you dont win puck battles, you lose defensive assignements, you dont get open to shoot, you dont create separation. You have to be a really good player to be succesful offensively without good acceleration. Guys like Getzlaf, Kopitar and Tavares have some absolutely elite traits.

Do you believe Lind has the hands/strength/balance/Vision to be effective regardless?

One good indicator though is overall offensive tools and Lind clearly has the vision and shooting to be part of the NHL.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Not sure about the other guys but Kole Lind would easily be a 1st rounder in a redraft.
While I love Lind too....I don’t know about ‘easily’ being a 1st rounder in a re-draft...

This past draft had a lot of guys progress really well this year. Lind was one of them.
Hague
Heponiemi
Mismash
Formenton
Ferraro
Aho
Timmins
Ratcliffe
Boqvist

Those are guys that people can also make an arguement for perhaps moving up into the first round; I’ve probably missed more than a few as well.

We should be stoked with the Kole Lind pick, but this past draft was a really good one.
People said it was perhaps weaker at the top because it lacked a superstar (may not be correct as Elias Pettersson, Heiskanen or even Makar could be superstars), but had a lot of depth...well, that is proving to be the case as it relates to the depth. There are a lot of guys at this (still) early point in time that look like they are progressing really well.

In other years you might see a guy like Lind easily jump up into the 1st round after the season he’s had...but a lot of guys developed really well this season.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Alexandre Texier. When Jarmo drafted him 45th he said he would have taken him in the 1st round which raised some eyebrows, not so sure thats a crazy thought anymore. Went from a French league to Finland and scored 13 goals in his first season,a few of which were beauties

Reactions: monsieurthibz

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
Wouldnt agree that speed is overrated. Would agree that you can have success without it.

The real killer is first steps. If you have no explosion, you dont win puck battles, you lose defensive assignements, you dont get open to shoot, you dont create separation. You have to be a really good player to be succesful offensively without good acceleration. Guys like Getzlaf, Kopitar and Tavares have some absolutely elite traits.

Do you believe Lind has the hands/strength/balance/Vision to be effective regardless?

One good indicator though is overall offensive tools and Lind clearly has the vision and shooting to be part of the NHL.

Lind can definitely skate, maybe not as well as glass but he is a good skater imo. Just needs to add some more strength and he'll be a solid player. If anything he can b a Connor Brown at the next level.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Lind would definitely be in first round, but late first round. If you have Cody Glass in your first round, then Lind deserves to be too. Higher ppg on a slightly worse offensive team too

Lind was basically already a late first round pick, so it’s not unrealistic for him to move up a few spots. Whoopie, lol.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lind can definitely skate, maybe not as well as glass but he is a good skater imo. Just needs to add some more strength and he'll be a solid player. If anything he can b a Connor Brown at the next level.

He can skate, kinda like Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk is fast, but he takes time to get there.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
112 points in 71 WHL games for Matthew Phillips, 2016 6th rounder for Calgary. Contributed to approximately 40% of Victoria's goals scored this year, played in all situations, let his team in scoring by a significant margin (48 goals to 36 for Kings prospect Tyler Soy). Of course, he was always going to be a dynamo at the junior level, but he went in the 6th because he's currently 5'7" (or so he claims, that number could be generous) and listed at 155 pounds.

Victor Mete (4th rounder by Habs in 2016) made the NHL team and didn't look awful doing it. He's even filled in at forward for a game or two when called upon and has generally looked very poised on the back end, although his offensive numbers aren't much to look at. For a guy in his situation without very high expectations, treading water at the NHL level is about as much as you can ask for, and he's done that. Unfortunately, he broke his finger and is out for the rest of the season.

Since I haven't seen them mentioned yet, I'll throw in Dmitry Sokolov (2016 7th, MIN) and Vitaly Abramov (2016 3rd, CBJ). Both have been dominant in their respective junior leagues.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
112 points in 71 WHL games for Matthew Phillips, 2016 6th rounder for Calgary. Contributed to approximately 40% of Victoria's goals scored this year, played in all situations, let his team in scoring by a significant margin (48 goals to 36 for Kings prospect Tyler Soy). Of course, he was always going to be a dynamo at the junior level, but he went in the 6th because he's currently 5'7" (or so he claims, that number could be generous) and listed at 155 pounds.

Victor Mete (4th rounder by Habs in 2016) made the NHL team and didn't look awful doing it. He's even filled in at forward for a game or two when called upon and has generally looked very poised on the back end, although his offensive numbers aren't much to look at. For a guy in his situation without very high expectations, treading water at the NHL level is about as much as you can ask for, and he's done that. Unfortunately, he broke his finger and is out for the rest of the season.

Since I haven't seen them mentioned yet, I'll throw in Dmitry Sokolov (2016 7th, MIN) and Vitaly Abramov (2016 3rd, CBJ). Both have been dominant in their respective junior leagues.

Mete was actually really good. He had a few awful games where nothing went his way but hes such a smart player and his skating is next level. Everytime he was on the PP the Habs dominated blue line in, but Clod doesnt like using youngsters there.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Jack Studnicka for the Bruins has had a good year as captain of the Oshawa Generals. The first 2 years he was a minus player, this year he is plus 18 and over a point a game player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad