OT: Best All-time Enforcer

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Probert without question, guy also seemed a little touched which scared most in the NHL at the time. Gordie Howe was no slouch and most knew not to mess with him.

I put Peluso right up there for best Jets enforcer all time.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I still say Twist was the best fighter of all time. He was 6'2 250 after he roided up

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Craig Coxe was one tough mofo as well. He had some epic bouts with Probert.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Could have given Twist a broom stick and he would have played just as well

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
For my money it is # 22 John Ferguson .
500GP 145g 158a 303pts 1214pim

Playoffs
85GP 20g 18a 38pts 260pim.

Not only was he the most feared fighter in the league, Ferguson led all NHL rookies in scoring in his first season and finished as runner-up for Calder Trophy in 1963–64.
In 1969 he scored 29 goals and also scored the Stanley Cup-winning goal. He won 5 cups.

Fergie was lucky he played on the same team as Ted Harris. Harris didn't fight often but he always had a little smile on his face as he smoked guys. Winnipeg boy..

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Fergie was lucky he played on the same team as Ted Harris. Harris didn't fight often but he always had a little smile on his face as he smoked guys. Winnipeg boy..

Fergie didn't need help from anyone. Harris was a pretty tough guy but Fergie was the enforcer. The guy couldn't even be civil to opposing players in a charity golf tournament in July.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Bye week schmy week. What is this the NFL? You can't run outta bounds here!

In honor of Cherry, and because this winter will never end, and I'm bored, who do you guys(and gals) think is the best pugilist of all time. I don't mean PIM leader or toughest dude but the meanest hombre you'd least like to dance with.

Feel free to add your own if I didn't list him...I likely forgot a couple.

Dave Semenko, then Probert. Most might be too young to remember Semenko but he was the bodyguard on the Oilers. Probert was unreal too, decent player. We need a bodyguard desperately for our young starts.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Semenko did fight Ali, not many NHL enforcers had that kind of notoriety.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Some Really Tough Guys Missing Here

It's pretty hard not to go with Probert as #1, as not only was he tough, but he loved to fight, and was a bit crazy-"dangerous guy" A guy that I would have put at # 2 is not on the list ??? Behn Wilson- of Flyers. I don't believe he ever lost a fight. He fought Clark Gillies 2 times, and beat him twice. I also saw him fight tons of other guys, and "never" saw him lose a fight. I believe he fought Probert-was more or less a tie. For some reason he flew under the radar.Look up his fights.
BTW- I saw Probert lose 2 fights-one to Domi, and Donald Brashear.
Here's my TOP 5- tough guys.
1) Bob Probert ( Detroit)
2) Behn Wilson ( Flyers)
3) George Laraque ( Monreal)- " never lost" ( wasn't mean enough)
4) Donald Brashear - fought Probert 3 times-(won 1) (lost 1) (draw1)
5) Clark Gillies or Tony Twist ( both about the same)
( these top 5 guys, were all very tough !!! )

BTW- Whoever made this list, left out some of the "toughest guys" [mod]
As for John Ferguson- he was only 6' 0, and up against guys like Probert, Behn Wilson and Brashear, many of whom were 6'4 and taller, he would have been tough, coz he was mean, but probably would have been in the Tie Domi class-"but you never know"
Honorable mention- Marty McSorerly, Tony Twist, Tie Domi

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
It's pretty hard not to go with Probert as #1, as not only was he tough, but he loved to fight, and was a bit crazy-"dangerous guy" A guy that I would have put at # 2 is not on the list ??? Behn Wilson- of Flyers. I don't believe he ever lost a fight. He fought Clark Gillies 2 times, and beat him twice. I also saw him fight tons of other guys, and "never" saw him lose a fight. I believe he fought Probert-was more or less a tie. For some reason he flew under the radar.Look up his fights.
2) Behn Wilson ( Flyers)

As for John Ferguson- he was only 6' 0, and up against guys like Probert, Behn Wilson and Brashear, many of whom were 6'4 and taller, he would have been tough, coz he was mean, but probably would have been in the Tie Domi class-"but you never know"

Mcsorerly was a clown, not really that good a fighter and picked his spots. Don't go down the road of comparing era's, it's meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I still say Twist was the best fighter of all time. He was 6'2 250 after he roided up

There were the two Twists though......the pre and post roid Tony. I preferred the fighter before the roids because he was a treat to watch. Once he was into the heavy juice people quit opening up when they fought him and I found that stage of his career less fun. His first TKO loss to Jim McKenzie was one of my favorite hockey fights.

He had great power but had a long stroke with accuracy challenges. One of the toughest guys to beat in his prime when he was on the Juice. The only guy that I would say was tougher to beat was No juice needed Behn Wilson. The only chink in the armour was Behn didn't love fighting lefties and trading shots (although he would do it and do it well).

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One of the toughest and most game fighters of all time was Serge Roberge who was 6'1 195 and including juniors had 453 fights. He spent the bulk of his time in the AHL but as a fighter I had allot of respect for his skill set.

Bob Battleship Kelly was my favorite as a kid because he ***** slapped Dave Schultz twice in one game.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
There were the two Twists though......the pre and post roid Tony. I preferred the fighter before the roids because he was a treat to watch. Once he was into the heavy juice people quit opening up when they fought him and I found that stage of his career less fun. His first TKO loss to Jim McKenzie was one of my favorite hockey fights.

He had great power but had a long stroke with accuracy challenges. One of the toughest guys to beat in his prime when he was on the Juice. The only guy that I would say was tougher to beat was No juice needed Behn Wilson. The only chink in the armour was Behn didn't love fighting lefties and trading shots (although he would do it and do it well).

I totally agree with Behn Wilson- "one tough MF". It's funny I never heard of him like Probert, and read about him on forums. Then I watched his fights, and he always won- never saw the guy lose. I think he was not a flambuoyant, animalistic fighter like Probert, and somewhat flew under the radar. More of a quiet type of guy, just taking care of business. I'd say Wilson and Probert were pretty equal when it comes to enforcers. Tough to say, who would win ???

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Wilson, like Probert, could also play. He was arguably the better talent but as a 6th overall draft pick never lived up to the expectations that Probert never really played under.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Fergie for sure should be on the list. Also Joey kocur should be as well. Tough as they come. Just ask Jimmy Kyte

As much as I liked John Ferguson, putting him into another era where guys were recruited only to be enforcers ( no talent) he may not have been one of the top enforcers. He was only 6'0 to 6'1, and Probert and guys like Behn Wilson were 6'4 plus with a longer reach. Ferguson had an explosive temper, but I saw a couple of his fights where he didn't look to dominant. I also read that Derek Sanderson of (Boston) got the better of him in a fight, and Sanderson wasn't one of the toughest guys around. It's hard to say how Fergie would have fared, but if I had to predict, I'd say along the Tie Domi line. I think Probert or Behn Wilson would have had their way with Fergie-but who really knows for sure.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Probert without question, guy also seemed a little touched which scared most in the NHL at the time. Gordie Howe was no slouch and most knew not to mess with him.

I put Peluso right up there for best Jets enforcer all time.

I enjoy watching Anthony fight. He is always ready to dance and those body shots are great. Is he any relation to Mike Peluso I wonder? It's too bad he can't hold down a roster spot cuz he'd be an excellent enforcer for us.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I enjoy watching Anthony fight. He is always ready to dance and those body shots are great. Is he any relation to Mike Peluso I wonder? It's too bad he can't hold down a roster spot cuz he'd be an excellent enforcer for us.

I believe he could, he's just injured for the season.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Former Jet Jim Mckenzie was very tough and Stan Jonathon was one of the toughest ever.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Former Jet Jim Mckenzie was very tough and Stan Jonathon was one of the toughest ever.

Jim McKenzie was a fantastic open fighter early in his career. His greatest hits list was special. Jim was one of those guys that was a true pro and he fought but never seemed mad??

My personal favs list of Jimmy Mac

Dave Brown December 30th 1990 (Jim's 3rd NHL fight despite the TKO look at Brown's respect after the fight)
John Kordic Oct 5th 1991 just an insane scrap 9.5 out of 10 big win Jim
John Nordic round 2 in the same season with another clean win for Jim.
Tony Twist Jan 2nd 1992 incredible fight vs pre Roid TT where Jim gets the TKO
Randy McKay March 3rd 1993 Wow did McKay ever show how tough he was in this one.
Tony Twist March 8th 1993 another great fight and TKO win for Jim over prepaid TT.
Stu Grimson March 10th 1996 Jim was feeding him until Grimmer got of of his jersey and TKO's Jim

Then there was the McCarthy Trilogy where Jim took on Sandy when he was in his prime:

November 3rd 1993 narrow Win McKenzie
March 26th 1994 Narrow win McCarthy
December 3rd 1995 Narrow win McCarthy

All of these McCarthy Mac Bouts were up there and around 9 out of 10 level

Last edited:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
2) Behn Wilson ( Flyers)

Christ was probate like 45 when he was fighting brashear?!

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Best enforcer vs best fighter are two different polls imo. Don't recall many taking liberties with Wayner. Don't recall many young guys fighting Semenko to make a name for themselves. Battle of Alberta aside I think most teams saw Semenko in the lineup and said "ill pass". pest enforcer is about respect and keeping the game in control. Probert (god bless him) had to fight sooo much and was probably a better fighter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->