Music: Best album of 2018

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I completely forgot about Melody's Echo Chamber. I was hoping her new record would be out last year, and she released a new song (Cross My Heart), but she apparently had a bad accident. I think she's better now, and hopefully we hear the new music this year.

Reactions: stingo

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Here we go.

Kinda different from their past work - seems more whole rather than a sum of parts, but still very good. Parts of it evoke Currents-era Tame Impala, but that may be just me. New album due in the spring - pumped.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Here we go.

Kinda different from their past work - seems more whole rather than a sum of parts, but still very good. Parts of it evoke Currents-era Tame Impala, but that may be just me. New album due in the spring - pumped.

My favorite track of 2018 so far. I love this band so much.. Everything they put out is pure gold.

Reactions: Tapu Coco

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Halfway through the car seat headrest album. It’s awesome.

Definitely recommend! Highlights - beach life and death, famous prophets, high to death

8.1/10

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
US Girls - In a poem unlimited is a fantastic album.

My favourite of 2018 this year . Will probably make top 5.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
What do you guys think of the MGMT album?

Just popped it in to listen to now. Love the first 3 songs so far.
Haven't heard much that has come out this year but this is my favourite so far, although the tracklist does drop off after a strong start. I can't stop listening to Little Dark Age and When You Die.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
There's a new Rick Springfield out (The Snake King). He's considered classic rock but this album is hard rock/blues. The lyrics are downright bleak as the album was written while he was in a major depression contemplating suicide last year. It's really good all that being said.

My Best-Carey

This is the best album I've heard in a few years now that I've had a chance to listen to it through and through.

My Best-Carey

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I completely forgot about Melody's Echo Chamber. I was hoping her new record would be out last year, and she released a new song (Cross My Heart), but she apparently had a bad accident. I think she's better now, and hopefully we hear the new music this year.

Yeah didn't she break her back in a car accident? She was dating the lead singer of Tame Impala, I think he produced all or some of her album

void

Jan 5, 2006
Young Fathers new album out in few days. The latest single is A++++. Really can't wait.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Yeah didn't she break her back in a car accident? She was dating the lead singer of Tame Impala, I think he produced all or some of her album
I'm not sure what the nature of it was - they kept the whole thing pretty private. Kevin Parker did produce the first album, yes, which may explain why Melody is the only non-Tame Impala neo-psych act that isn't underwhelming to me. I remember reading an interview with her, she said something along the lines of not knowing which direction to go with her sound before Kevin steered her to what she wanted.

Anyway, new Beach House song:

Album is called 7 (it's their 7th record), out 5/11.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Not new album , but anyone here into Janes addiction? I heard a couple of their songs lately , and dig them. Where do I start ?

Side note - anyone see perry Farrell lately ? I would have to disagree with his album title, and say some things are shocking haha

void

Jan 5, 2006
Late to the party a bit but anyone listen to the new The Breeders album "All Nerve"? Wasn't expecting much going into but it's now one of my favorite albums of the year so far. Pixies really f***ed up by letting Kim go.. This album alone is better than the last two they put out. She's still very much got it. :yo:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed is about the only album I've really enjoyed so far this year.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
This Amen Dunes album, Freedom,is really good, if you like hazy, road trip rock with vibes of classic rock.

The title track, Freedom, is a great place to start. Solid album.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Young Fathers new album out in few days. The latest single is A++++. Really can't wait.

Why does this sound so familiar? The way he delivers the first verse sounds exactly like another song but I can't place it. I want to say Modest Mouse for some reason.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Looks like Melody watch is finally coming to an end; Bon Voyage is out 6/15, and she just dropped this:

Not sure what to think of this - it's a very discombobulated song to me upon first listen, and I tend to not care for songs like that, but maybe it'll grow on me. I liked Cross my Heart more, but I'm listening to it again and it seems kind of all over the place as well. Working with Kevin Parker likely led her to the Tame Impala-like sound I'm so fond of, and now that they aren't together anymore she very well could be veering off into her own direction.

New Beach House track too, very shoegazy:

Courtney Barnett dropped the second single from her next album a while back, and I like it a lot more than Nameless, Faceless. Chill Courtney is best Courtney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad