best 5 man units and best lines in history

raffael3d

Dec 31, 2005
Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure

we can only imagine how well they would have been together at their peak, when they were around 24/27 years old...

of course they were great at junior level, however I had hoped many many years for them to reunite at olympic games or world cup. Because of personal reasons, injuries etc it didnt happen.

Bure is over, Mogilny probably soon too.

a pitty.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
The Deadmarsh - Allison - Palffy line did take to Sakic's line head to head in the playoffs.
This is probably my favorite line in recent memory outside of Smyth-Weight-Guerin.

The Palffy line was absolutely unstoppable when all three were healthy. They had a ton of natural chemistry and it was a lot of fun to watch them dominate down low. I remember I had a couple of them in a pool one year and they were each a lock for three points apiece when they all played. Unfortunately, that was very rarely.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
The best five-man unit = Green Unit. Enough said.

My favorite lines of all-time are:

Europe

Mikhailov-Petrov-Kharlamov

- Didn´t get to show their magic so often in North America (didn´t play as an unit in the Summit Series; none of them played in any Canada Cups), but were just as important to Soviet Union/Red Army as KLM was later on. Kharlamov was one-off and Mikhailov & Petrov did the business too...

Kapustin-Zhluktov-Balderis

Two AWESOME skaters (Kapustin and Balderis) and one solid, hardworking center (Zhluktov). Rivalled the top line (aforementioned M-P-K) both on the Soviet national team and Red Army in the late ´70s

North America

Bossy-Trottier-Gillies aka Trio Grande

Bossy is a fave. Everybody had their important role on the line: a sharpshooter, set-up man and a power forward.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
we can only imagine how well they would have been together at their peak, when they were around 24/27 years old...

of course they were great at junior level, however I had hoped many many years for them to reunite at olympic games or world cup. Because of personal reasons, injuries etc it didnt happen.

Bure is over, Mogilny probably soon too.

a pitty.
They reunited during the lockout in 1994-95.

Todd Shishler

Jul 9, 2006
This was a one time unit in the 87 Canada Cup

Gretzky with Lemieux and Hawerchuk on the ice for the final goal of game 3 against the Russians. I don't know who the defenseman were but there is a good chance Bourque was on the ice, as well as Coffey. That is pretty good 5 man unit.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Gretzky with Lemieux and Hawerchuk on the ice for the final goal of game 3 against the Russians. I don't know who the defenseman were but there is a good chance Bourque was on the ice, as well as Coffey. That is pretty good 5 man unit.

Larry Murphy was one of the d-men. He had a wide open net, but Lemieux shot instead of passed.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Gretzky and Kurri played with Anderson alot earlier in the 80's then Anderson was on a line with Messier and the Oilers were looking for a LW to play with them for a couple of years then Tikkanen came along and was on a line with him for a couple of years regularly until Gretzky got traded.

Best line ever for me was the Gretzky Kurri Tikkanen line. The entire line could do it all. Tikkanen was the ultimate pest with a good scoring touch and Kurri and Tikkannen were good defensively and all thre were super clutch. And well Gretzky was Gretzky. In the playoffs they were unbelievable.

Give me that line:

Tikkanen-Gretzky-Kurri

with d-men:

Lowe-Huddy

The reason I chose Huddy over Coffey is because of the second forward line I get :

Anderson-Messier-Simpson (Simpson came to the Oilers from Pittsburgh in the Coffey trade).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad