Best 19 year olds in AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Koltsov said:
Bergeron is awesome, what are you talking about? He had an awesome rookie year as an 18 year old, and he's raking it up in the AHL with 18 points in 14 games so far. I'd take him over Horton and Vanek at this point in time.

I dont think anyone without prior bias would watch Bergeron and other top prospects, would walk away thinking Bergeron isnt every bit as good with the same high ceiling potential.... but as we see here on many lists (IMHO) a lot of players rankings is influenced by draft position and reports written at the time of draft, seems like once some people support a prospect over another... they become adamant about their potential without looking at the facts... just my $0.02 worth ;)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Kostitsyn can't keep up with the speed of the game mentally.

I watched him 3 times last game literally quit skating, find his guy, and wait 2 seconds for him to hold up before he passed.

He looks very foggy headed out there.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Koltsov said:
Bergeron is awesome, what are you talking about? He had an awesome rookie year as an 18 year old, and he's raking it up in the AHL with 18 points in 14 games so far. I'd take him over Horton and Vanek at this point in time.

I have to disagree with you

Horton is going to be an absolute stud

a poor mans joe thornton

vanek is a little more of a question because Bergeron has already produces in the NHL (4 1 yr tho) and people seem to think Vanek will be the next Pavel Bredl but I would take him (Vanek) on his huge upside alone

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Who are the best 19 year olds in the AHL this season. This is for players that are still able to play at the WJC this year.

Here is the only ones that I know of and Bergeron is by far the best.
Bergeron
Horton
Burns
Khomutov
Kastitsyn
Suter
Zakharov
Bergeron by far the best?
Maybe in the AHL, but not as a hockey player overall.

Bergeron is much more mature as a player than Horton or Kasty or other players from 2003. That's why IMO he did so well in his rookie year. I don't expect him to have more than 50-60 points in the NHL save for maybe one or 2 years. Maybe a 70 point year, but I see him as a good 2 way player who is a solid contributer.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
sharkyz15 said:
I have to disagree with you

Horton is going to be an absolute stud

a poor mans joe thornton

vanek is a little more of a question because Bergeron has already produces in the NHL (4 1 yr tho) and people seem to think Vanek will be the next Pavel Bredl but I would take him (Vanek) on his huge upside alone

That's why I said at this point in time. ;)

While both Horton and Vanek have great upside, I'm not sure if they'll hit that upside whereas Bergeron has already proven himself. I think Horton is the safer bet(between him and Vanek), but I'm a little nervous over how his shoulders will hold out with his playing style. So far Bergeron has outperformed him in both the NHL last year, and the AHL this year, so I'm not ready to say Horton is better at this point in time. Vanek on the other hand has puzzled me, so inconsistent, and he seems a little slow out there at times, I'm not sure if that's just him being lazy or what not. He could boom, he could bust, the jury is still out on him. Meanwhile Bergeron has proven himself at both the AHL and NHL level so once again I'll take Bergeron over Vanek.

Vic Rattlehead*

Vanman said:
If we were going by the title and saying best 19 year olds in the AHL, arent Horton, Vanek, Suter and M.A. Fleury in a class of their own?

Bergeron????? I still think he's a glorified Stajan, which doesnt amount to that much. (coming from a leaf fan)
Bergeron is outscoring Vanek. Bergeron has over a point per game. :teach:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Koltsov said:
Meanwhile Bergeron has proven himself at both the AHL and NHL level so once again I'll take Bergeron over Vanek.

Not just the NHL... the NHL playoffs as well...
and let's not forget his solid play in winning a Gold Medal a month later.

Bergeron is shamelessly under-rated by *some* around here...

a 50-60pt ceiling? What a friggen joke... he put up 40 in 70 games as an 18yr-old...he still has 10yrs till he hits his prime...

*Some* of you need to let go of crushes on high-picks...

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Koltsov said:
That's why I said at this point in time. ;)

While both Horton and Vanek have great upside, I'm not sure if they'll hit that upside whereas Bergeron has already proven himself. I think Horton is the safer bet(between him and Vanek), but I'm a little nervous over how his shoulders will hold out with his playing style. So far Bergeron has outperformed him in both the NHL last year, and the AHL this year, so I'm not ready to say Horton is better at this point in time. Vanek on the other hand has puzzled me, so inconsistent, and he seems a little slow out there at times, I'm not sure if that's just him being lazy or what not. He could boom, he could bust, the jury is still out on him. Meanwhile Bergeron has proven himself at both the AHL and NHL level so once again I'll take Bergeron over Vanek.

I dont think he has proven anything in the big picture!!

Pat Faloon looked like a super star after his first year, far better then Bergeron and look at him now.

i gues know in the AHL as far as 19 yr olds you can put him at the top but i dont think anyone cares about what you do in the AHL

he needs to prove to me that he wasnt a one year wonder

many times players will catch teams by surprise

I remember a few years ago when Jeff Friesen scored 31 goals and the next year everyone adjusted to him. So what I am saying is that the rest of the league will catch up with him. He needs to make sure he stays one step ahead of them

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:

a 50-60pt ceiling? What a friggen joke... he put up 40 in 70 games as an 18yr-old...he still has 10yrs till he hits his prime...

when he hits his prime that doesnt exactly mean he will score more

a lot of that also involves developing physically and mentally

he is already mentally mature so your 10 yrs till his prime statement is far from the truth. Even he he score 40-50 pts every year i dont think that is any kind of diss on him thats like 25 goals and 25 assists

very good numbers in todays NHL

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:

Not all players point totals increase drastically with their age. Bergeron, as I said, was much more mature than other players his age. It does not have anything to do with age when comparing Horton or Vanek to Bergeron. I don't think Bergeron will be a star. I think he will be a solid 2nd line player who AVERAGES 50-60 points throughout his career, and with the current state of the NHL, that's great stats. I said he may hit 70 -75, maybe even 80 but I doubt it just because of his style. He is a defensively responsable player who has a good offensive upside, but not like those of Vanek and Horton. When players like Kovalchuk or Zherdev put up 40 points in 70 games as a rookie, you know the best is way off. Horton will mature and reach his prime in a few years. Bergeron IMO will reach it quicker and stay in it longer and be a solid solid 2nd line NHL player, but I think if either Vanek or Horton reaches their supposed potential, they'll be around 80 points each. They're different types of players. A Patrice Bergeron is an essential player to a dominant team. He is a great secondary player who supports the top superstar in this case, Thornton and is slightly below Samsonov. Bergeron will be a great player IMO but I don't think he'll ever have more than 35 goals in a season and at max, 75 points. He kinda reminds me of a player who would put up Ray Whitney type numbers, although a more defensive player.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Boomhower said:
Khomutov? Obviously most 19 year olds aren't allowed to play in the AHL, so I guess he gets a mention by default. :huh:
He has actually been playing well latley. He was a steal by the Devils in the 3rd round and has seemed to pass Vrana on the prospect depth charts.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
X-SHARKIE said:
If I wanted a NHL ready kid to help me when a championship

1. Bergeron
2. Parise
3. Vanek

If I wanted a long term prospect who well be the best player once his career plays out.

1. Parise
2. Vanek
3. Bergeron

Agree with you ;)

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Koltsov said:
Marc-Andre Fleury is still 19, but a month short of being eligable for the World junior team.

Yup. MAF and Bergeron are the best 19 y.o.'s

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
What has Eric Staal done to not merit his name in the hat of this discussion? 17 points in 12 games is pretty impressive no matter what league you're playing in. 13 assists in those 12 games as well. By far better than Horton's 3 points in 11 games and on par with Bergeron's 18 points in 15 games. Why do players like Brown and Vanek get mentioned above him in this light? Is he that vastly underrated here?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
rival said:
Being 20...

Wasn't aware his birthday was so early in the season. It's not that extreme due to the fact that he's been 20 for less than a month, but it still seems odd to not see his name in the mix here. A lot of these players turn 20 before the season is over as well and that doesn't exclude them. Oh well, rules are rules.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
If I wanted a NHL ready kid to help me when a championship

1. Bergeron
2. Parise
3. Vanek

If I wanted a long term prospect who well be the best player once his career plays out.

1. Parise
2. Vanek
3. Bergeron

This is typical of the majority on these boards that think they somehow know Bergeron's limitations. If anybody believe's this, that also predicted Bergeron would make the Bruin's last year and have the year that he had then they might have some credibility on the subject.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Although I am kind of dissapointed with Horton's stats so far, I realized that he had been out with injury for a long while and in the NHL, an injured player practices with the NHL team and then goes down on a rehab assignment at one level lower. That's when the player usually has success in the AHL because it's one level lower from the NHL. Horton hasn't had any exposure to the NHL level since March and now he's playing in the AHL with a completely different style of game as opposed to the NHL. Therefore, the level he's at right now is adjusting to the AHL game like he did last year in the NHL. This is the highest league in NA right now and because he's been out so long, his success in the NHL means little in terms of his AHL success. The equivalent of him coming back would be going down to the ECHL or CHL and rehabbing for a week or two and then coming back to the AHL. Think of a player who has been out for 6 months coming right in and playing on the NHL team as the first taste of action when you have only practiced with them for a while and no game action. That's unheard of. You go to the AHL first after that long of an injury unless you're a superstar. Horton will take a while but IMO by mid December he should be a top producer on that club. Weiss is in the same boat as he has been injured for so long. It's completley different now because when players are demoted from the NHL as Weiss was last year, they're adjusted to the NHL pace and work on aspects of the game. There was no NHL so Weiss and Horton, despite being more skilled than most AHL players, are on the same level as everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->