Bernier = Latendresse

Transported Upstater

montreal said:
You should try growing up. You don't like what someone says so you resort to cheap out of the playoffs crap, well if you know what Karma is, it won't be so funny come tuesday.

The funny part is that non Hab & Leaf fans must be so sick of reading all the stupid crap from the two fanbases cause it's a given any bad thing said about one side from the other and the thread goes down the toilet faster then a fat man at an all you can eat convention.

Well said. :clap:

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
JoesCousin said:
It's funny, when Lat fell in the draft, I was thinking of Bernier, O'Sullivan, and Schremp. Different types of players with character issues that are going to be good, in case of Bernier, great.
I don't know how you can single out Bernier as great out of that group, considering O'Sullivan and Schremp have played a total of 0 (zero) NHL games.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
JoesCousin said:
It's funny, when Lat fell in the draft, I was thinking of Bernier, O'Sullivan, and Schremp. Different types of players with character issues that are going to be good, in case of Bernier, great.

And is it just me or Latendresse fell in the draft because of poor skating ability?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
X-SHARKIE said:
Because he has done it in the NHL and those guys have yet to prove it. Not a knock on them but with Bernier it's more of a known while those two are still unknown.

38 games isn't exactly proven. More proven than Schremp and O'Sullivan? Sure. However, it's not like he's had a lengthy enough span in the NHL to be considered "great"

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
I think that this was a great lesson for him, by being benched by Sutter and sent down by Bob Gainey... it says to him, WAKE UP YOU HAVE TO WORK AND YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. The french media here fed him like a chicken ready to be killed and sold to the market. I met the guy in person and he is just a normal guy who was getting way too much attention, i said this to him "hey good luck, your awesome i hope you make the team and good luck at the world juniors." Even there i fed his ego im sure, that is just not very good for a young player.

X-SHARKIE

Legionnaire said:
38 games isn't exactly proven. More proven than Schremp and O'Sullivan? Sure. However, it's not like he's had a lengthy enough span in the NHL to be considered "great"

Agreed, but I would say Bernier has moved past that point where you can say he's just "hot" because he has done it consistantly. After scoring 1 goal in his first 9 games or so.. He has scored 26 points in 29 games. Pretty dang good.

He rarely plays on the power play, doesn't get any ice time with Joe, and still has produced big numbers since getting a regular shift on the second line.

I don't think he labled him as great, but I think he ment he's going to be great.

I wear Teal Shaded glasses yes, but many people will agree with me from watching him that he looks like he is going to be great.

What I like about Bernier is that he is never satisfied, if he doesn't score one game he comes back like hell the next, and in every interview all he talks about his how he's going to get better. He's not satisfied being on the second line and you can tell he likes to be the player who makes a difference. Qualities that make players special.

But I agree he's not out of the woods completely yet, but even with a possible sophomore jinx, I think we're just seeing the tip of the ice berg and he could become a top 5 power forward in the league, possible top 3.

Last edited:

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Bernier is having one heck of a season thats for sure. Latendresse had a so-so year. He had alot of points but didnt played as good as he can play.

a little off topic..
My favorite player ever is the brother of Steve Bernier, Patrick.

He is 18 and didnt get drafted.. dont know why.
Steve Begin type of player. Best hitter of the Q. Strong like a horse. Really fast. Opposing defencemen get nervous when he is on the ice.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Goes to show you though, Latendresse is only 18 and still has another whole year of eligibility in the Q but he still put up pretty damn respectable numbers for 2005-2006. He scored 43 goals in 51 games and this is in an ``off`` year as most of us habs fans know he only got on track with about 1 month left to play in the year. He scored only 29 goals in 65 games the year before.Hes already built like a man physically but i think he has to mature a little more mentally as he did not take his demotion from the Habs at the start of the year very well.

If I remember correctly though, Bernier did not have the greatest year his last in the ``Q`` as a lot of people were wondering if he had been picked too high. He only had 71 points in 68 games for a 19 year old in the Quebec League is extremely low.. but it goes to show you that some players are more built for the NHL, such as Patrice Beregeron as well. I guess time will tell how good Latendresse will be but i actually think people are underestimating his actual skills..hes an extremely talented player who`s at his best when hes hitting everything on the ice.

X-SHARKIE

Ryan O'Byrne said:
joe takes the best shutdown line the other team has ,so Bernier's line gets the 2nd best which helps too ;)

You would think so but Patrick Marleau has scored more then half his points on the power play with Joe Thornton.

So getting a teams second defensive unit is not much of a factor IMO.

Bernier's superb goal against St.Louis was on Backman, their best defenseman.

Ryan O'Byrne

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario
X-SHARKIE said:
You would think so but Patrick Marleau has scored more then half his points on the power play with Joe Thornton.

That proved nothing because it was against St.Louis :joker:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
X-SHARKIE said:

Actually, Marleau has been getting less and less PP time with Joe since the emergence of Christian Ehrhoff and Tom Preissing and the arrival of Matt Carle. Earlier in the year he got lots of time playing the point with the #1 PP unit, because there weren't any D-men who were able to play that role, but it was painful watching him trying to keep pucks in. Now he's playing mostly on the #2 PP unit w/ Michalek and Bernier.

But back to Bernier - it's hard to argue with someone who was tied for 3rd in the NHL for goals in March (15gp 10g 6a 16pts - coincidentially, the identical numbers as Jonathan Cheechoo in March). Since he was recalled on Feb 28, Steve is an impressive 24gp 13g 9a 22pts - which is a better measure of this play than his season totals of 38-14-13-27, which includes stints in November and early February with limited ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->