Rumor: Bernhard Starkbaum to Sabres?

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
As you all know, I'm from Austria. There are some rumors in our newespapers, that Bernhard Starkbaum, austrians goalie @ WC in Sweden is close to sign a contract with the sabres.

The Edmonton Oilers are as well in the play for starkbaum.

So did you guys in buffalo hear anything about that?

have a nice day,
Luceni

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
As you all know, I'm from Austria. There are some rumors in our newespapers, that Bernhard Starkbaum, austrians goalie @ WC in Sweden is close to sign a contract with the sabres.

The Edmonton Oilers are as well in the play for starkbaum.

have a nice day,
Luceni

I read on twitter a week ago that the Sabres were one of five teams in on Starkbaum.

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
One of five teams interested

The club of Austria NHL star Thomas Vanek is projected by the "Kronen Zeitung" have interest in Starkbaum even though you have with Ryan Miller and Jhonas Enroth two strong keeper contract. However, recently I repeatedly came to rumors that Miller could possibly be getraded. Interested in the Austrian national team goalkeepers are also the Flyers (Michael Raffls new employer), the Montreal Canadiens, Nashville Predators and Edmonton Oilers. If there is a deal, Starkbaum has probably also a "two-way" contract signing.

hockey-news.info/nhl-uberraschend-buffalo-sabres-zeigen-interesse-an-bernhard-starkbaum-1019454

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
It was posted in another thread here about a week ago, but if the Buffalo media noted it since, I missed it. Anyway, I believe the initial reaction was "fine, more playing time for Ullmark" as they both play for Modo.

He's 27, was fifth in SEL SV% (.932) and, per reports, would sign a two-way deal .. initial Swedish report noted EDM and PHI .. a later Austrian report noted five teams, leading with BUF, while also adding MTL and NSH to the mix .. and lastly, the Edmonton Journal wrote a blurb on his NHL attention:
Bernhard Starkbaum. After a very strong season in the Elitserien, Starkbaum is getting attention from NHL teams – reportedly Buffalo, Edmonton, Montreal, Nashville and Philadelphia have all expressed some degree of interest. He has a pretty unique resume, as an Austrian-born and trained goalie. Talking with multiple sources familiar with Starkbaum, the consensus is that he isn’t ready for NHL work but could be a good minor-league goalie in his first season in North America.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If they sign him, they probably don't retain Leggio. With Makarov/Knapp/Lieuwen already in the minors and the possibility of Hackett there too, things are getting crowded. And Ullmark next year...

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Would be great for Austrian Hockey, but I don't see him being any better than a guy like Brückler who never made it in the NHL.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
good for vanek??

I doubt Vanek would care.

It's not like Starkbaum would come here and be Hasek 2.0 and turn the franchise around.

Vanek's not sticking around just because the Sabres have a token Austrian on the team. He'll only stick around if they can retool and compete.

So, if something crazy happens like the Sabres add Malkin, then I think Vanek might consider sticking around.

But, if the Sabres are all in on the sufferfest idea, then he's not sticking around even if the Sabres sign a few of his BFFs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad