News Article: Berkshire: Breaking down Blake Wheeler's move to center

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
(the link to the actual article does not work, so use this one instead and select the top result: Search - Sportsnet.ca )

Thought this was interesting. Berkshire argues that while Wheeler has adjusted to playing C in terms of defensive results, the drop in offensive output is noticeable and possibly masked by some good fortune, particularly on the PP. He also suggests that Wheeler could use a winger like himself to play beside him.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
They also said on HNIC that the Jets might try to trade for Rick Nash , i don't know about that myself .

chalk

Dec 8, 2013
Maybe Wheelers offemce is down 5 on 5 because he misses playing with one of the best players in the NHL in Scheifele.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Type the text first. Then highlight the text and attach the URL to the text, otherwise the site considers Sportsnet as "media" and not a URL

Example

Breaking Down

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Wheeler and Scheifele work excellent together. Can't break them up for now unless an injury happened. Although, I also love seeing Laine and Ehlers together or one of them on the first line.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to see Wheeler centre Laine and Ehlers one game and see how Connor and Roslovic work with Little. Although, Perreault could teach Roslovic lots too.

I also agree Nash would be the perfect acquisition for us, but I highly doubt it because he doesn't want to play for a Canadian team. Although if he did get traded here, I wouldn't blame him for walking away.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd give this article a 5/10. I can buy Wheeler's offense has dropped off at center vs wing. But you have to take into account he's playing the whole year on Scheifele's wing...

It doesn't need to be permanent but in very interested to see how the team would do with Scheifele Little Wheeler Lowry at center.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I'd give this article a 5/10. I can buy Wheeler's offense has dropped off at center vs wing. But you have to take into account he's playing the whole year on Scheifele's wing...

It doesn't need to be permanent but in very interested to see how the team would do with Scheifele Little Wheeler Lowry at center.

In that case, would Wheeler slot above Little? I have a hard time believing they’d move Wheeler to the third line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That should be offset some by playing far weaker minutes though. I personally think you need to use him in his best position when we are healthy. There also aren't enough minutes at C to go around with all of Scheifele, Little and Lowry healthy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In that case, would Wheeler slot above Little? I have a hard time believing they’d move Wheeler to the third line.

He has been on the "Third" line in terms of matchups his entire time as C. Little currently gets the toughest assignments with Lowry /Copp getting the 2nd toughest. He hasn't been used in a power vs power situation. I would like to get back to being able to have him and Scheifele go power vs power, the Lowry line against the 2nd toughest and then have Perralut/Little/Ehlers etc exploit the soft matchups.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
His best position is RW and he can play that either with Little or Chef. Of course he would do well anywhere in the lineup.

LSW or CLW should be the best options for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad