Berglund & Brodziak Clutch Goal Scorers

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Patrick Berglund has scored 5 game-winning goals for The Blues this season, playing roughly half the games, and making up more than half of his 9 goals. Kyle Brodziak has scored only 5 goals, but 4 of them (a whopping 80%) have been game winners. Clearly, they have stepped up when The Blues had several of their better scorers (Schwartz, Steen, etc.) out. Part of the strength of The Blues this season is their depth, an, especially, their ;lower-tier players stepping up. Not only have rookies (Parayko, Fabbri, Edmundson) stepped up, but also role players, such as Berglund, Brodziak, Upshall, Bortuzzo, and Gomez (while with the team) have helped the team stay afloat despite all the injuries.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Berglund has been really solid this year and I hope he isn't traded. He's solid as a defensive forward and his shootouts aren't bad either. I think people expect a little more scoring from him because he was a first round pick and had a couple scoring seasons in the past, but he's still a very good player.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Brodziak could have scored 0 goals this year and I'd still consider it a great signing

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Patrick Berglund has scored 5 game-winning goals for The Blues this season, playing roughly half the games, and making up more than half of his 9 goals. Kyle Brodziak has scored only 5 goals, but 4 of them (a whopping 80%) have been game winners. Clearly, they have stepped up when The Blues had several of their better scorers (Schwartz, Steen, etc.) out. Part of the strength of The Blues this season is their depth, an, especially, their ;lower-tier players stepping up. Not only have rookies (Parayko, Fabbri, Edmundson) stepped up, but also role players, such as Berglund, Brodziak, Upshall, Bortuzzo, and Gomez (while with the team) have helped the team stay afloat despite all the injuries.

Hey Robb, this is BillP on the PD site. I really was looking forward to seeing how Berglund would play this year, I was hoping that the Blues new style of play would bring the best out of Bergie and it has. Last year was a complete waste. The Head Coach & GM totally mismanaged their roster and tried to make the Blues a finesse team which is not who they are. That puck control, cycle game BS was so so bad, and the defense was way too soft. This year Hitch is pushing the right buttons, he's got the team playing the right style and the kids coming on board this year have no doubt given this team a much needed boost. Without the kids, there's no doubt the Blues would of came up short this year, but I got a feeling this years team is different and it's going to make a serious run for the Cup.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
never thought id say this but...

berglund > oshie

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
never thought id say this but...

berglund > oshie

Abdisvh.jpg

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Berglund's play this season has been a huge step above his play in seasons past. The healthy shoulder makes a huge difference.

His board play is even better (and he was already strong on the boards to begin with), he's asserting himself physically and his offensive game has improved to the same pace as his 20g seasons from the past.

I can't wait to see him ratchet his play up a notch even more in the playoffs.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I say it every time Berglund is discussed. He plays his best hockey when it matters.

He's been the 2nd best PO forward the last few years behind Vladdy.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I say it every time Berglund is discussed. He plays his best hockey when it matters.

He's been the 2nd best PO forward the last few years behind Vladdy.
But that says more about the rest of the team than it does him.

Brodziak was a great signing, as was Upshall. Great duo on the 4th-line and good veteran personalities that have fit in real well.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Easton, I'll preface this comment by saying that I've enjoyed your posts over the years, and that we even have the designations of "friends" on this website. But, I see some great irony here. If I had continued a long tangential dialogue like this about trading Shattenkirk and fitting the team's roster under the salary cap I'd have been reprimanded from going off topic, and the off-topic portion of this thread would have been moved by a moderator (such as you - or another) to a newly-titled thread, which would match the tangential discussion, which in 7 of the last nine posts doesn't even touch upon Berglund or Brodziak.

My original post was about the high percentage of Berglund's and Brodziak's goal which were game winners, and how that has helped The Blues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was probably one of Berglund's biggest critics on this forum. I thought that he didn't compete hard enough to be more than a marginal NHL player.

He looks better this year. I'll go so far as to say "a lot better." I have been surprised by his physical play. He's done more hitting. I've even seen him take the puck down the slot and to the net, something I never saw him do in the past.

Bergy has always had a strong, accurate shot. And that got him his points. He has always been a big strong guy, but that didn't do him much good because he didn't use it to maximum advantage.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Easton, I'll preface this comment by saying that I've enjoyed your posts over the years, and that we even have the designations of "friends" on this website. But, I see some great irony here. If I had continued a long tangential dialogue like this about trading Shattenkirk and fitting the team's roster under the salary cap I'd have been reprimanded from going off topic, and the off-topic portion of this thread would have been moved by a moderator (such as you - or another) to a newly-titled thread, which would match the tangential discussion, which in 7 of the last nine posts doesn't even touch upon Berglund or Brodziak.

My original post was about the high percentage of Berglund's and Brodziak's goal which were game winners, and how that has helped The Blues.
It's also a bit ironic that you participated in that discussion before pointing this out. ;)

Your point is taken, though, my friend. That part of the discussion did spin off my original point about Berglund and take on a rather larger life of its own, and it is taking away from the intent of this thread. I've moved those posts to the Blues discussion thread.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Both Berglund and Brodziak have been great this year, but I always find the GWG stat rather meaningless.

Take Berglund this year, he has scored 2 goals that have either tied a game or put us ahead and both were in the same game. I'm not dismissing the importance of putting us 2 or 3 goals ahead, but I wouldn't describe it as clutch.

I don't think we've seen enough secondary scoring this year. We've obviously missed Schwartz and Berglund for a good chunk of the season, plus the likes of Steen, Shattenkirk and Stastny for shorter periods, but we've seen a big drop in scoring this year.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Both Berglund and Brodziak have been great this year, but I always find the GWG stat rather meaningless.

Take Berglund this year, he has scored 2 goals that have either tied a game or put us ahead and both were in the same game. I'm not dismissing the importance of putting us 2 or 3 goals ahead, but I wouldn't describe it as clutch.

I don't think we've seen enough secondary scoring this year. We've obviously missed Schwartz and Berglund for a good chunk of the season, plus the likes of Steen, Shattenkirk and Stastny for shorter periods, but we've seen a big drop in scoring this year.

Let's change my quote to read that a very high % of both Berglund's and Brodziak's goals were needed by The Blues to ensure victories. Berglund's 9 goals in 36 games projects to approximately 20 goals for a total season. And that includes the injury recovery period (needed to get timing back and to get in synch with linemates). I think he;ll finish with 10 or 11 for a half season, which is okay for a 3rd Liner, who is a 2-way player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad