Bergfors cleared to represent Sweden in the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Its Aftonbladet and over the years they have had some serious mistakes in their news. I will believe it when NJ tells it on their site.

SChan*

Its Aftonbladet and over the years they have had some serious mistakes in their news. I will believe it when NJ tells it on their site.

You know swedish? The news article talks with swedish coach for WJC where he says that devils doesn't seem to be willing to release him.

I am not sure how that is a mistake? Why would NJ tell it on their site, they could care less about team Sweden.

Telecaster

Aug 18, 2005
Stockholm
You know swedish? The news article talks with swedish coach for WJC where he says that devils doesn't seem to be willing to release him.

I am not sure how that is a mistake? Why would NJ tell it on their site, they could care less about team Sweden.

Time for Berglund to step up. ;)

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Why won't the Devils release him? I don't understand. What's their problem? He plays in the American League, no? What a bunch of *******!

knights2005

Dec 13, 2006
In summary: Devils has no plans to release him. There goes the gold?

Enough with the sour grapes. Nobody gets screwed more than Canada by NHL clubs and they still manage to win gold with what they have. You don't hear Canadians complaining that Staal, Vlasic and Latendresse weren't released to Canada by their NHL teams.

Woops, I almost forgot...probably because it's so hard to believe he's still eligible, but Pittsburgh didn't release Crosby to play for Canada at last years or this years World Jrs. either.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
In summary: Devils has no plans to release him. There goes the gold?

Enough with the sour grapes. Nobody gets screwed more than Canada by NHL clubs and they still manage to win gold with what they have. You don't hear Canadians complaining that Staal, Vlasic and Latendresse weren't released to Canada by their NHL teams.

Woops, I almost forgot...probably because it's so hard to believe he's still eligible, but Pittsburgh didn't release Crosby to play for Canada at last years or this years World Jrs. either.

All the players you mentioned are playing in the NHL. We can understand why they're not released. But Bergfors is playing in the AHL, not in the NHL.

This is why I'm disappointed a little by the Devils because I don't unterstand their point to not let Bergfors join his country for an important tournament (unless they're planning to recall him soon from the AHL?).

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
I think they (New Jersey) are hurting themselves when it comes to his development if they do this. Those tournament games are a lot more playoff-like than a few AHL regular season games, and against more talented competition too. I think they can be a great experience for him. Maybe he means a lot to Lowell? I dunno. He won't miss more than a few games, anyways, right?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think they (New Jersey) are hurting themselves when it comes to his development if they do this. Those tournament games are a lot more playoff-like than a few AHL regular season games, and against more talented competition too. I think they can be a great experience for him. Maybe he means a lot to Lowell? I dunno. He won't miss more than a few games, anyways, right?

First off, the AHL is better compitition then the WJC. Second they pay Bergfors a salary to help the organization, not team sweden. Third Bergfors is second in scoring on Lowell so he is important to the team.

Transported Upstater

First off, the AHL is better compitition then the WJC. Second they pay Bergfors a salary to help the organization, not team sweden. Third Bergfors is second in scoring on Lowell so he is important to the team.

Well said.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

New Jersey's priority should be making sure their prospects (ie Bergfors) fully develop, not making sure Lowell has a winning record, or worrying about 2 weeks AHL salary.
Bergfors would gain far more from the WJC experience than he would playing a handful of AHL games......especially in terms of intangibles. He'd be a go-to guy and team leader in what many consider the 2nd most important IIHF sanctioned event. Not to mention the pressure he'd face being on home ice this year.

If your not already in the NHL, I can't think of an event (other than maybe the world championships) that is as beneficial to a young player as the WJC is.

Don't know what NJ is thinking on this one.:shakehead :help:

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?

Sure... but when has Lou ever given a ____ about his AHL team? There is a reason they are not in Albany anymore. I'm sure that New Jersey will allow/not allow Bergfors based on what they think is best for his long term development. Although he only had 6 points in last years WJC's, he was clearly a man amongst boys and, at that point, a tad better than Backstrom IMHO. So its not like he needs to experience this tournament to know that he's good.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Sure... but when has Lou ever given a ____ about his AHL team? There is a reason they are not in Albany anymore. I'm sure that New Jersey will allow/not allow Bergfors based on what they think is best for his long term development. Although he only had 6 points in last years WJC's, he was clearly a man amongst boys and, at that point, a tad better than Backstrom IMHO. So its not like he needs to experience this tournament to know that he's good.

Isn't Lou the manager that does the most with his farm teams, in terms of integrating a common style and developing team work? He runs his farm teams exactly the same way he runs the Devils, so I can see why he wants Bergfors to stay in that system, so that he can benefit the Devils at some point.

However that said, I disagree with the decision. Losing Bergfors to Sweden in an intense international tournament (where he was slated to playing a starring role for a competitive team) would have been a not only a good hockey experience, but a good character and leadership experience, since he was expected to lead that team in front of their home fans. The fact that he would only be gone for about 3 weeks (maximum) also makes me somewhat frustrated that he wasn't released. That said, it's Lou's team, and he's the guy who pays the bills and is ultimately responsible for how he turns out.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Sure... but when has Lou ever given a ____ about his AHL team? There is a reason they are not in Albany anymore.
Since NJ bought the franchise in the offseason. He signed a number of draft picks/AHL vets to fill out the team (something he didn't do when they were in Albany).

I don't know if I'd rule out Bergfors quite yet. Maybe he just didn't want to release him for the camp Sweden is having just before the tournament? Then again, Lowell is going to be fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the season so every game counts.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Why should the Devils be obligated to release Bergfors for the WJC?Bergfors gave up control over his future when he signed a pro contract and starting playing in the AHL.If Bergfors wanted to play in the WJC,he should have stayed in Sweden

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Why should the Devils be obligated to release Bergfors for the WJC?Bergfors gave up control over his future when he signed a pro contract and starting playing in the AHL.If Bergfors wanted to play in the WJC,he should have stayed in Sweden
Yup, he's a paid slave now. They own his *** and can do whatever they want with him.

You really have to let go of players who want to represent their country in tournaments like these. Country > club team, always. Perhaps not in U$A, but in Europe, heck yes. I can understand about NHL not letting go of players, but AHL?

Who the heck care about AHL? It's a closed farm league for gods sake, they can't get demoted, like the club teams in Europe can for letting go of their players. And still every team do it.

Yes, I'm all sour grapes now, but this upsets me.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
New Jersey's priority should be making sure their prospects (ie Bergfors) fully develop, not making sure Lowell has a winning record, or worrying about 2 weeks AHL salary.
Bergfors would gain far more from the WJC experience than he would playing a handful of AHL games......especially in terms of intangibles. He'd be a go-to guy and team leader in what many consider the 2nd most important IIHF sanctioned event. Not to mention the pressure he'd face being on home ice this year.

If your not already in the NHL, I can't think of an event (other than maybe the world championships) that is as beneficial to a young player as the WJC is.

Don't know what NJ is thinking on this one.:shakehead :help:

Of coure that's just your opinion that him going to play against kids instead of the older and stiffer competition of the AHL is better for his development. While I would rather see Bergfors go because I think playing for your country in tournaments like this are huge - saying its better for his development is just a crock.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Of coure that's just your opinion that him going to play against kids instead of the older and stiffer competition of the AHL is better for his development. While I would rather see Bergfors go because I think playing for your country in tournaments like this are huge - saying its better for his development is just a crock.

He's not going to gain anything extra by playing in a few mid-season AHL games.

Being a leader on a contending team while playing in front of your home country with the whole hockey world watching is a FAR BETTER development experience than playing 7 extra games in front of 2,000 fans in Lowell.

This isn't about level of play....it's about developing the intangibles (leadership, character, pressure situations) that he certainly wouldn't get playing in the AHL in early January.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
He's not going to gain anything extra by playing in a few mid-season AHL games.

Being a leader on a contending team while playing in front of your home country with the whole hockey world watching is a FAR BETTER development experience than playing 7 extra games in front of 2,000 fans in Lowell.

This isn't about level of play....it's about developing the intangibles (leadership, character, pressure situations) that he certainly wouldn't get playing in the AHL in early January.

Or picking up lazy habits because your level is higher than others that you can't get away with in the AHL much less NHL. Not to mention that he is one of the leading scorers in Lowell and its just as important for him to learn to be a leader through the long drudges of a full season than to get all hyped up for a short tournament. There is plenty of character to be gained by learning to keep your level of play up throughout a full season on a team fighting for a playoff spot than just a 7 game sprint with guys you won't play with again for another 4 years or so. I understand your opinion and while there are debatable points to it, it is hardly a fact at all that it will help his development. If the Devils felt that for sure there is no doubt he would be there.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Or picking up lazy habits because your level is higher than others that you can't get away with in the AHL much less NHL. Not to mention that he is one of the leading scorers in Lowell and its just as important for him to learn to be a leader through the long drudges of a full season than to get all hyped up for a short tournament. There is plenty of character to be gained by learning to keep your level of play up throughout a full season on a team fighting for a playoff spot than just a 7 game sprint with guys you won't play with again for another 4 years or so. I understand your opinion and while there are debatable points to it, it is hardly a fact at all that it will help his development. If the Devils felt that for sure there is no doubt he would be there.

Pick up bad habbits?......in a 6 game tourney? The WJC means everything to these players – they leave their hearts out on the ice. You don’t see players crying after a January loss in the AHL.

Point is, the WJC is an experience he wouldn’t get playing in Lowell.

He’s not gonna gain anything more in 7 AHL games than he’s getting playing in the other 70 or whatever. It’s a long season…..a lot of time for AHL development. The WJC is a once (or twice) in a lifetime experience.

Lou’s just being a punk again.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Lou’s just being a punk again.

:biglaugh: I love the smell of bitterness and envy in the morning. Considering the amount of quality of NHL players that have come through NJ, I think I will stick to that "punks" idea of what's better for players development than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad