- Trades drafted defensemen Subban and Sergachev
- Trades 2 second round picks for Shaw
- Signs UFA Alzner to bad contract

image11-960x540.jpg

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Bergevin said certain things that created great soundbytes coming from an someone who was unknown to the market and coming off a miserable season in 2011-12.

Bergevin preached patience and building through the draft but capriciously veered into directions that handcuffed the team further.

Both Bergevin and Chevaldayoff were assistant GMs with Chicago and yet we had to land the lesser of the two. Look at how Chevaldayoff built his team:

Chevaldayoff didn't hire a neanderthal coach like Therrien. And he didn't try to make the playoffs by sacrificing futures. And he's working out of an even more difficult market than Montreal when it comes to attracting free agents. Winnipeg managed to assemble a better amateur and pro scouting dept. than Montreal.

As for preaching patience, how about practising it:

How about hiring scouts that actually can make non-first round picks count?

Winnipeg Jets GM talks Stastny, Hellebuyck, 'patient' approach paying off - Sportsnet.ca

Six years with a GM that can't come close to replicating what Chevaldayoff has done -- and this idiotic ownership group is going forward with the same failed recipe.

Great post. Bergevin wasn't even the best francophone for the position. How Molson and Savard got conned into selecting Bergevin is a tribute to his faux charm that noticeably has all but disappeared since his myriad failures and ever growing criticisms from fans and the media.

I hope we hear the story about the Treliving episode. I'm quite sure it's explosively revealing of Bergevin's behind the scenes decrepitude.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The roster MB acquired wasn't going to win a Stanley Cup without mortgaging the future and I'm glad he didn't do that unlike a lot of posters (that would of made Great GM's, lol) would of done.

I'm not here to defend MB's decisions but maybe Molson was the one who wouldn't tolerate a rebuild, something I find believable, since paying off the team's debt was a good idea at the time.

I've actually followed a lot of teams doing rebuilds and you may believe that there isn't possibly any GM worse then MB but I've seen worse plenty of times. This was a good year to tank and this was good year to give the youngsters a chance to play.

Lol.. what future? They f***ed over Galchenyuk. Traded away a bevvy of 2nd round picks. Traded Sergachev.. busted LeBlanc, Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Bergevins been bad for every facet of the organization. 6 years and theres still not a blue chip prospect in the system. He traded away the one he had for someone he knowingly admitted was a winger. The other blue chip prospect has been played on wing and treated like garbage.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
The roster MB acquired wasn't going to win a Stanley Cup without mortgaging the future and I'm glad he didn't do that unlike a lot of posters (that would of made Great GM's, lol) would of done.

I'm not here to defend MB's decisions but maybe Molson was the one who wouldn't tolerate a rebuild, something I find believable, since paying off the team's debt was a good idea at the time.

I've actually followed a lot of teams doing rebuilds and you may believe that there isn't possibly any GM worse then MB but I've seen worse plenty of times. This was a good year to tank and this was good year to give the youngsters a chance to play.
There is so much things that don't make any sense in this post that I don't even know where to start. My bad english doesn't help either :laugh:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
You can't have it both ways. I wanted to discuss doing a rebuild a couple of years ago and I remember the commentary and assessment of the team then. Hindsight is always 20/20 but it doesn't make for a great GM. MB would of been crucified if he threw in the towel 2 or 3 years ago. And doing a full rebuild would be the only way to have the sunny future everyone here feels they deserve.

We have a reasonably good chance at either player and if MB did what he could to improve the odds of getting either or both, does that make him a bad GM?

3 years ago this team could have still been salvaged.

Subban had not been traded yet, and how many centers have been traded around the league that MB missed the boat on?

I’m not going to entertain the idea of debating this with you, because it’s been laid out in thousands of posts already on this very forum: Marc Bergevin is an atrocious general manager.

Go read some posts, just about everyone here is unanimous in accepting a full rebuild.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Great post. Bergevin wasn't even the best francophone for the position. How Molson and Savard got conned into selecting Bergevin is a tribute to his faux charm that noticeably has all but disappeared since his myriad failures and ever growing criticisms from fans and the media.

I hope we hear the story about the Treliving episode. I'm quite sure it's explosively revealing of Bergevin's behind the scenes decrepitude.

It goes to show you how someone can parlay a few hours of persuasion into multiple years of incompetence.

Bergevin was well-prepped for his presentation to Molson and Savard. The only other time he was as persuasive was when he conned Molson into granting him a 5-year contract extension.

Between all of that, it was Bergevin who got mostly conned by player agents and counterparts. Too bad he wasn't able to replicate the same level of persuasion he used to land two 5-year terms. I guess it says something about Geoff.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...just about everyone here is unanimous in accepting a full rebuild.

Except, what we've been hearing is that we're only getting a reset.

With Weber and Price at 30 or older when next season begins, they're not going to engage on a prolonged rebuild without trading these players away.

And according to several soundbytes that were made prior to the TDL, it doesn't look like the GM is prepared to trade any of these guys away.

Conclusion: there will be no rebuild, as much as most of us would want it.

And we can easily go further -- there is enough to indicate there won't even be a rebuild where it's sorely needed -- which is within the management group.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Except, what we've been hearing is that we're only getting a reset.

With Weber and Price at 30 or older when next season begins, they're not going to engage on a prolonged rebuild without trading these players away.

And according to several soundbytes that were made prior to the TDL, it doesn't look like the GM is prepared to trade any of these guys away.

Conclusion: there will be no rebuild, as much as most of us would want it.

And we can easily go further -- there is enough to indicate there won't even be a rebuild where it's sorely needed -- which is within the management group.

We are in the midst of our very own Harold Ballard years.

We are truly in the “darkest days in Habs history”.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Luck is a big part of the game. If not them, who would be a ''great'' organization according to your standards? And what would those standards be? Just curious.
A team that has drafted intelligently and has made smart trades would be a start. The Hawks and Bruins come to mind.The Wings for a few years too. My point was, that the Pens had the benefit of having a couple of franchise forwards (superstars) on their team, making other guys who played with them better. This gave them time to bring in younger guys slowly because with a Crosby and a Malkin, you were always going to be competitive and there wasn't this sense of urgency from the fanbase. You also weren't forced into making huge trades, but if you did, you could afford to give up a young prospect or 2 because you still had Crosby and Malkin. I just don't have the same respect for teams that get rewarded for sucking by being able to draft guys like that, while other teams struggle to build a solid team. Same thing happened when they tanked to get Lemieux. If it wasn't for him, they might not even have a franchise.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Short of lucking out on Dahlin and Tavares, this team is going absolutely no where any time soon.

Pretty much what i think too. Of course if we land Dahlin and then looking at Weber, Dahlin and Price Tavares decides to sign here yeah it will kick start the team absolutely no doubt but outside of that we are in for a rough time.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Pretty much what i think too. Of course if we land Dahlin and then looking at Weber, Dahlin and Price Tavares decides to sign here yeah it will kick start the team absolutely no doubt but outside of that we are in for a rough time.

Bare minimum for a turnaround is Stastny + Carlson, along with our draft pick being able to start asap.

Reactions: Runner77

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017

What did you think Brian Burke said to his GM Brad Treliving when he learned that in exchange for Islanders' defenceman Travis Hamonic, Brad gave Garth Snow the Flames' 2018 No. 1 draft pick and didn't protect it from being in this year's draft lottery?!

Last edited by a moderator:

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Bare minimum for a turnaround is Stastny + Carlson, along with our draft pick being able to start asap.

Patch - Statsny - Gallagher
Drouin - Galch - Zadina (Probably will be back in the Q so most likely Hudon instead)
Lehk - Danault - Byron
Shaw - DLR - Delo

Carlson - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Niemi/Lindgren

Not sure if I'm putting people out of position but you get the picture. This is assuming way too much (Zadina is drafted, Galch is allowed to play centre, Andrew Shaw's brain isn't too hurt to play hockey) and I don't even know how the cap works for this team. But I'd say it would be a playoff team I think. Assuming we can get Carlson and Statsny at 6 million per or thereabouts it would probably be workable. I don't think Carlson would sign here though. Statsny might just because the habs would over pay.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
What did you think Brian Burke said to his GM Brad Treliving when he learned that in exchange for Islanders' defenceman Travis Hamonic, Brad gave Garth Snow the Flames' 2018 No. 1 draft pick and didn't protect it from being in this year's draft lottery?!

What makes you think it wasn't discussed?

And what does one have to do with the other? Are you setting up a pre-apology for Bergevin?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Tanking is a choice. Bergevin didn't choose to tank, as a matter of fact, he kept saying how improved the team was.

What we're seeing here is the culmination of a long series of bad decisions.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
What makes you think it wasn't discussed?

And what does one have to do with the other? Are you setting up a pre-apology for Bergevin?
Because Brad Trevliving (the consummate no-nonsense, dot your i's and cross your t's, peruse your documents with a fine tooth comb, and look at things from all angles guy) just recently admitted that he made a bad mistake in not protecting his 2018 No. 1 draft pick. He didn't envision his Flames not making the playoffs. As a result, the Isles have two No. 1 draft picks; one of the Flames and one their own and more importantly, two balls in the draft lottery.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Patch - Statsny - Gallagher
Drouin - Galch - Zadina (Probably will be back in the Q so most likely Hudon instead)
Lehk - Danault - Byron
Shaw - DLR - Delo

Carlson - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Niemi/Lindgren

Not sure if I'm putting people out of position but you get the picture. This is assuming way too much (Zadina is drafted, Galch is allowed to play centre, Andrew Shaw's brain isn't too hurt to play hockey) and I don't even know how the cap works for this team. But I'd say it would be a playoff team I think. Assuming we can get Carlson and Statsny at 6 million per or thereabouts it would probably be workable. I don't think Carlson would sign here though. Statsny might just because the habs would over pay.
Paul Statsny is making $7M per on his expiring 4-year contract that the Avs breathed a sigh of relief when the Blues signed him away from them. Would he take a paycut to $6M per for say 4 years to hitch his wagon with the Habs? Perhaps, since Bergy did sign the less talented fellow countryman Pleks for $6M per for 3 seasons.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Only "solution" that might be out there for our center woes is Tavares. Short of that, I rather step into next season with what we've got and hopefully nab another high pick in the process.

Stastny would be patchwork that wouldn't take us anywhere.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Because Brad Trevliving (the consummate no-nonsense, dot your i's and cross your t's, peruse your documents with a fine tooth comb, and look at things from all angles guy) just recently admitted that he made a bad mistake in not protecting his 2018 No. 1 draft pick. He didn't envision his Flames not making the playoffs. As a result, the Isles have two No. 1 draft picks; one of the Flames and one their own and more importantly, two balls in the draft lottery.

It's clear he made a mistake. Is someone disputing that?

It still has nothing to do with the topic you replied to.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tanking is a choice. Bergevin didn't choose to tank, as a matter of fact, he kept saying how improved the team was.

What we're seeing here is the culmination of a long series of bad decisions.

Except that there is nothing to indicate that the same decision-makers that got us here, are capable of better decisions.

Worse, that they are capable of making major corrective, forward-looking decisions within a very short timespan, just in time for the "reset" they claim they're after.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
A team that has drafted intelligently and has made smart trades would be a start. The Hawks and Bruins come to mind.The Wings for a few years too. My point was, that the Pens had the benefit of having a couple of franchise forwards (superstars) on their team, making other guys who played with them better. This gave them time to bring in younger guys slowly because with a Crosby and a Malkin, you were always going to be competitive and there wasn't this sense of urgency from the fanbase. You also weren't forced into making huge trades, but if you did, you could afford to give up a young prospect or 2 because you still had Crosby and Malkin. I just don't have the same respect for teams that get rewarded for sucking by being able to draft guys like that, while other teams struggle to build a solid team. Same thing happened when they tanked to get Lemieux. If it wasn't for him, they might not even have a franchise.
Mario Lemieux went to the Pens at No. 1 and paid dividends with 2 Stanley Cups. The Devils who finished 2nd to last got Kirk Muller at No. 2 and as good a player he was, Muller didn't bring a Cup to the Meadowlands. Back then, there was no draft lottery. As for Sid the Kid, once again the Pens got him at No. 1 and then the NY Rangers' Glen Sather wanted the league to rule in his favour saying that Crosby should be a Ranger. He was denied.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->