BeNe League

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Over in Belgium, icehockey still is a niche market. Some of our youngsters are going abroad, Germany, Sweden, France etc... But are not playing on the highest level. Most locals do combine their normal job with hockey. Altho the overseas player tend to get very easily a coaching job as it allows them to put focus on the sport and become more cemented in their club.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
I wish more sports would create a bene league. Like Volleyball and Basketball.
I think this could help raise the sport in both countries.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I watched some of the Herentaals v Amstel game yesterday. I could've sworn that was an outdoor arena. Anyone a little more familiar with the league confirm whether my eyes were playing tricks on me or not?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah, it's a part of a multifunctional sports areal of the Flemish government that also has an indoor arena, but not with ice-making capability.

ALGEMEEN1.jpg

boltsy

Jun 22, 2017
For years it was an outdoor arena without roof, but there were so many games cancelled due to bad weather. That led to placing a 'tent roof' in 2010, 2011 or so. However, Herentals is defenitely one of the best places I've ever been to watch a hockey game. Great atmosphere feeling like you're watching hockey on the pond. I can recommend visiting a game there if you're nearby.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Found this link on another forum.
Basically, there is an idea that 8-10 teams from BeNeLiga would join German Regionalliga West (4th tier) with possibility of promotion to Oberliga (3rd tier, where Tilburg Trappers play). Interesting idea for both Netherlands and Belgium.

Justin010

Nov 9, 2018
Hallo! With the 18-19 BeNe (and Oberliga/Tilburg) underway, thought I'd post here and see if anyone was still active in these parts. I'm a new transplant to NL (from NYC) and would love to chat/connect with any other Dutch fans/players. Proost.

vancouverism

Sep 26, 2018
Amsterdam
www.adamnowek.com
Hallo! With the 18-19 BeNe (and Oberliga/Tilburg) underway, thought I'd post here and see if anyone was still active in these parts. I'm a new transplant to NL (from NYC) and would love to chat/connect with any other Dutch fans/players. Proost.

I live in Amsterdam and have been going to Ti(j)gers games whenever I can over the past three seasons or so. The Tigers are pretty bad this year, though (3-0-1-8 in the Bekertoernooi and 1-0-0-4 in the BeNe-League), so it's going to be a pretty tough season for a team that seems to have no conception of what it means to improve your roster. The games are still fun, though, and the beer prices are great.

Nijmegen's two new Canadian signings (R.J. Reed and Branden Eden) both have experience in Sweden's second division, so they're my pick to win it this year.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Neptune Towers

Dec 3, 2018
Heerlen, Netherlands
This week there will be a discussion about adding three German lower league teams to the BeNe League. Biggest obstacle is the distance/time, since hockey is a part time sport over here. All games are played from friday till sunday, with the occasional midweek game.

Here are the league Tables from the BeNe League:

2yl2yk3.png

W 3p, WO, 2p, LO, 1p, L 0p

Heerenveen usually is the team to beat, with Den Haag (Cairox HIJS) as contender. Recently, Nijmegen en Eaters have proved to be contenders too, with Herentals and Liege from Belgium as outsiders. The Belgian teams usually start very strong, only to deteriorate slowly during the season and play-off.

Justin010

Nov 9, 2018
Pro/Rel is quite the topic all around in NL. The Trappers are pretty clearly the best team in the Oberliga, and yet DEL2 won't accept them, taking instead a team like Deggendorf which is getting waxed at that level. It's a weird situation and I get the reasoning, but with DEL/DEL2 bringing back promotion (in 2 years I believe), it would be a great carrot to dangle for Tilburg. They are definitely caught in between at present.

BeNe is actually interesting right now. Big variance in GP but far more contenders than usual. And the Bekerfinale next week is sold out.

Reactions: pukovnik

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
I enjoy watching the games, although there certainly isn't parity among teams in the league. Not really familiar with import rules and player movement so am wondering if some of the players/imports who do well are "scouted" (for lack of better word) for higher division teams in other leagues and countries and if there is much movement at all?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I enjoy watching the games, although there certainly isn't parity among teams in the league. Not really familiar with import rules and player movement so am wondering if some of the players/imports who do well are "scouted" (for lack of better word) for higher division teams in other leagues and countries and if there is much movement at all?
BeNe Ligue teams are only allowed 2 imports so there isn't a whole lot of movement since most of the guys playing on the team are just the local lads who settled in the city and don't want to move around a lot. Dutch guys who have inspirations to be pro hockey players play for Tilburg from a very young age. Imports there are mostly journeymen so yes, a spectacular season in BeNe might give you a try-out in French 2nd league, Brittish NIHL or, if you are lucky and really good, German Oberliga.

The EP has this nice "where are they now" feature for those interested: Elite Prospects - BeNeLiga - Where are they now? , it should give you a nice overview.

Reactions: gwiz999

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the info! Exciting final for the Belgian Cup this past Saturday. HYC Herentals played a much better defensive game than they typically do. Interesting fact relating to the BeNe top two scorers.- Brothers and Matheson played against each other in Junior B 2011/2012 season.

vancouverism

Sep 26, 2018
Amsterdam
www.adamnowek.com
Despite a terrible season for Amsterdam, this past weekend was huge for their playoff chances: Zoetermeer lost twice in regulation (first to Tilburg's Toekomstteam and then to Amsterdam). Amsterdam and Zoetermeer are now level on games played but Zoetermeer has one more point in the standings. Should be a fun end to the season, if nothing else!

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
BeNe League seems nicely organized, Tilburg gives them opportunity to play professional, so how come Netherlands U20 team played so badly on WJC? Is it a temporary situation (bad generation)?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
BeNe League seems nicely organized, Tilburg gives them opportunity to play professional, so how come Netherlands U20 team played so badly on WJC? Is it a temporary situation (bad generation)?
They have lacked talent for years. I think it's mostly due to Dutch boys staying at home and playing against weak competition until a very old age and a lot of other countries taking steps forward. Lithuania and Estonia was in a similar situation but our hockey definitely improved when federations started encouraging younger and younger kids to move abroad. Dutch boys are very much still sulking in their own juices.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Looking forward to an exciting game today as the Unis Flyers face off against the HYC Herentals for game 4 in the best of 5 series. HYC leads the series 2-1. First game was low scoring and ended in a shoot out that went 9 rounds with Unis Flyers taking that game. Kyle Brothers scored the lone goal for HYC in the game and then went 3/5 in the shoot-out. He has some filthy mitts! HYC took the next two games.

Gert Van der Velde

Aug 4, 2018
This week there will be a discussion about adding three German lower league teams to the BeNe League. Biggest obstacle is the distance/time, since hockey is a part time sport over here. All games are played from friday till sunday, with the occasional midweek game.

Here are the league Tables from the BeNe League:

2yl2yk3.png

W 3p, WO, 2p, LO, 1p, L 0p

Heerenveen usually is the team to beat, with Den Haag (Cairox HIJS) as contender. Recently, Nijmegen en Eaters have proved to be contenders too, with Herentals and Liege from Belgium as outsiders. The Belgian teams usually start very strong, only to deteriorate slowly during the season and play-off.

HYC Herentals and the Unis Flyers are both top teams in the BeNe League. HYC Herentals has now won this League twice and the Unis Flyers Heerenveen and The Hague once.

Gert Van der Velde

Aug 4, 2018
Now the fourth season of the BeNe League is finished and it has been exciting with some decent games, and for the first time in this new league, there where 6 teams in the running for the Championship, with some very close games in the Playoffs and high intensity and speed. The final was eventually won by HYC Herentals, in a best of five it beat the Unis Flyers from Heerenveen ( 3-1 ) . HYC Herentals won their second Championship, with top players as Vincent Morgan,Mitch Morgan, Preston Shupe, Kyle Brothers and Peter Bartek... in his younger years he played in the Tipsport Liga.

Gert Van der Velde

Aug 4, 2018
BeNe Ligue teams are only allowed 2 imports so there isn't a whole lot of movement since most of the guys playing on the team are just the local lads who settled in the city and don't want to move around a lot. Dutch guys who have inspirations to be pro hockey players play for Tilburg from a very young age. Imports there are mostly journeymen so yes, a spectacular season in BeNe might give you a try-out in French 2nd league, Brittish NIHL or, if you are lucky and really good, German Oberliga.

The EP has this nice "where are they now" feature for those interested: Elite Prospects - BeNeLiga - Where are they now? , it should give you a nice overview.

Players like Vinny,Mitch and Preston can handle the level of DEL2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad