B-Sens Belleville 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't like how many futureless vets Lee added to the roster. Going to limit the ice-time of our prospects that actually have NHL potential.

Toronto has been doing the same thing. Added Griffith, Froese, Smith, Michalek, Greening, O'Reilly, Sislo, Clune, Kalinin and Cliché to their team last year.

Yeah their AHL team won a lot of games, but guys like Lindberg, Gauthier and other young players get their ice-time and development limited as a result, it hurts the NHL team going forward.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't like how many futureless vets Lee added to the roster. Going to limit the ice-time of our prospects that actually have NHL potential.

Toronto has been doing the same thing. Added Griffith, Froese, Smith, Michalek, Greening, O'Reilly, Sislo, Clune, Kalinin and Cliché to their team last year.

Yeah their AHL team won a lot of games, but guys like Lindberg, Gauthier and other young players get their ice-time and development limited as a result, it hurts the NHL team going forward.

I think there's value to be had by having some vets to pass their experience on to the younger prospects, kind of like how Jagr helped bring along Barkov (I know, kind of an extreme example).

In the end, you have to fill the roster, so is it better to put the rookies and propects in the top positions and fill out the bottom lines with AHL plugs, or is it better to get a strong core of AHL vets who can help insulate your prospects.

I feel as though the former could result in the AHL version of the Oilers from 5 years ago. Great young talent, with no decent vet support, leading to a bad environment for development. Obviously, there's a balance to be struck, and if the coach spreads the vets across the lines, there could still be important roles for our key prospects to play while not putting them in a position to fail.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think there's value to be had by having some vets to pass their experience on to the younger prospects, kind of like how Jagr helped bring along Barkov (I know, kind of an extreme example).

In the end, you have to fill the roster, so is it better to put the rookies and propects in the top positions and fill out the bottom lines with AHL plugs, or is it better to get a strong core of AHL vets who can help insulate your prospects.

I feel as though the former could result in the AHL version of the Oilers from 5 years ago. Great young talent, with no decent vet support, leading to a bad environment for development. Obviously, there's a balance to be struck, and if the coach spreads the vets across the lines, there could still be important roles for our key prospects to play while not putting them in a position to fail.

Some vets are necessary, but adding Sexton, Reinhart, Randall to a team that already had DiDomenico, Blunden and Flanagan is too much.

All the centers added are going to take away ice time from White and Chlapik. I mean even if Paul and DiDomenico are moved to the wing, we still have too many:

Sexton
White
Reinhart
Chlapik

I don't get it. Are they going to play a career over 0.5 PPG player in Reinhart as the 4th line center? Is Chlapik going to be the 4th line center? Is he going to play in the ECHL?

Same goes for the Taylor addition in goal. He's a 31YR old journeyman with no discernible NHL future. Why add him just to push either Driedger or Hogberg to the ECHL? Not exactly the best development league for either of them, considering Driedger is already used to AHL shooters and Hogberg has started in the SHL for years now.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

The Marlies top 5 scorers this season are all NHL prospects. Keefe has done a wonderful job allowing the youth to produce and win.

The Sens have been giving all the ice time to random veterans that don't have any hope of being regular NHL players and they still manage to suck year in and out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The Marlies top 5 scorers this season are all NHL prospects. Keefe has done a wonderful job allowing the youth to produce and win.

The Sens have been giving all the ice time to random veterans that don't have any hope of being regular NHL players and they still manage to suck year in and out.

I don't disagree but ...parachute yourself into the BSens.... how do you make this team more competitive and if you don't have the young prospect depth what do you do? Last year leafs vs sens is a joke. Bsens wen't ptretty much the whole year with 1 RHD. Oddly this gave Harpur a chance because he could play his other side.

IMO the Sens have not had an architect..to build a team, maybe ever. They have had some quality individuals in the organization but its more of a read try to react , bump into the wall approach. Dorion is not an architect he will stumble and is stumbling from moment to moment trade to trade, acquisition to acquisition, loss to loss... He is like Murray without the experience and knowledge. He reaches out to Boucher (thank goodness) for direction. He sells it as dancin' in the dark high 5 moments ....Some things he does might turn out ok but I have 0 faith in him personally.

Back to the BSens... not too long ago pre 2015 draft someone said the cupboards are bare... certainly true for forward prospects..

We have a few more now but hardly architecture. I would argue Boucher is not perfect for growing talent, but he offers a direction, which the sens have not had and that fits perfectly with Melnyk's controls on the budget.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I don't disagree but ...parachute yourself into the BSens.... how do you make this team more competitive and if you don't have the young prospect depth what do you do? Last year leafs vs sens is a joke. Bsens wen't ptretty much the whole year with 1 RHD. Oddly this gave Harpur a chance because he could play his other side.

IMO the Sens have not had an architect..to build a team, maybe ever. They have had some quality individuals in the organization but its more of a read try to react , bump into the wall approach. Dorion is not an architect he will stumble and is stumbling from moment to moment trade to trade, acquisition to acquisition, loss to loss... He is like Murray without the experience and knowledge. He reaches out to Boucher (thank goodness) for direction. He sells it as dancin' in the dark high 5 moments ....Some things he does might turn out ok but I have 0 faith in him personally.

Back to the BSens... not too long ago pre 2015 draft someone said the cupboards are bare... certainly true for forward prospects..

We have a few more now but hardly architecture. I would argue Boucher is not perfect for growing talent, but he offers a direction, which the sens have not had and that fits perfectly with Melnyk's controls on the budget.

Ian Mendes confirmed on the radio today that the Sens have the smallest front office in the league.

It's pretty obvious if you look at some of the decisions this organization makes. It just doesn't have enough people to look at every option.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Ticket prices anywhere?
So far they've only reason ticket prices. It's just a little under $1,000 a seat for blue section, which is pretty much anywhere in the middle from the 5th row to the top (they're charging a small premium for the first 4 rows). It works out to about $26 per game after account fee and tax for the blues.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Same goes for the Taylor addition in goal. He's a 31YR old journeyman with no discernible NHL future. Why add him just to push either Driedger or Hogberg to the ECHL? Not exactly the best development league for either of them, considering Driedger is already used to AHL shooters and Hogberg has started in the SHL for years now.

That Taylor signing really came out of left field, didn't it? Very odd. I guess this is the club's way of ensuring that Belleville has solid goaltending and doesn't struggle out of the gate, but it will definitely hold back the development of one of our goaltending prospects. Odd man out right now appears to be Driedger, as I doubt they brought Hogberg over to send him to the ECHL. It feels like a step backward to be putting Driedger in the ECHL, although I guess there's a possibility that he could be loaned to another AHL team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That Taylor signing really came out of left field, didn't it? Very odd. I guess this is the club's way of ensuring that Belleville has solid goaltending and doesn't struggle out of the gate, but it will definitely hold back the development of one of our goaltending prospects. Odd man out right now appears to be Driedger, as I doubt they brought Hogberg over to send him to the ECHL. It feels like a step backward to be putting Driedger in the ECHL, although I guess there's a possibility that he could be loaned to another AHL team.

And then we also have Hammond! Why Dorion?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And then we also have Hammond! Why Dorion?

They appear convinced that they can trade Hammond at some stage and get his entire salary off the books. Maybe they plan to keep him here in Ottawa as a third goalie, giving Anderson some days off practice. If they want to trade him, though, they are going to have to play him somewhere so that teams can see that his hip surgery is no longer an issue. Is that in Belleville? I don't think so, but you never know. I guess you can never have too much goaltending depth, but this seems to stem from the club's allergy to buyouts than any conviction that he can turn his career around.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So far they've only reason ticket prices. It's just a little under $1,000 a seat for blue section, which is pretty much anywhere in the middle from the 5th row to the top (they're charging a small premium for the first 4 rows). It works out to about $26 per game after account fee and tax for the blues.

Damn...that's a lot for the minor leagues.

I guess that's why they're bringing in AHL vets to try to have a decent team right away.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They appear convinced that they can trade Hammond at some stage and get his entire salary off the books. Maybe they plan to keep him here in Ottawa as a third goalie, giving Anderson some days off practice. If they want to trade him, though, they are going to have to play him somewhere so that teams can see that his hip surgery is no longer an issue. Is that in Belleville? I don't think so, but you never know. I guess you can never have too much goaltending depth, but this seems to stem from the club's allergy to buyouts than any conviction that he can turn his career around.

I will be convinced they will trade Hammond when they trade Hammond. I doubt he will be traded because it would have happened already if anyone wanted him. You are right: Senators have a buyout allergy!

I suppose the Senators hope to trade him somewhere and perhaps pay the price in picks and prospects to do so, or take on a bad contract for a glue guy or local boy or a restoration project.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I somewhat agree with you & at the same time understand the need to have a few veterans on the team to teach the kids the pro game, to protect them in certain situations & to get them on board with the program & prevent them from trying to do their own thing apart from what the team is trying to do. Sometimes players are better at working with the young kids & can help coaches with some players. Having said all that though I really would like to see Paul, White & Chlapik at centre which I doubt happens now with all the centres that will be in camp. Anyway, should be interesting how good or bad this Bellville team will be, somehow I'm not sure they will be that good in their first yr.

I'm also not sure Randy Lee has done this but PD & the scouts, Lee is really more of a management & administration guy than a hockey guy, remember he used to be the strength coach. I assume Melnyk would like a decent team in Bellville to start & maybe management thinks our prospects need to veteran help to be competitive & aren't as good as so many on here think they will be. We'll see soon enough but I think some of our prospects disappoint in their first yr.

Last edited:

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Interesting. Wonder if this means the Sens are looking at going down a similar route in the future with the =O= jerseys as opposed to the 2D. "...creating a symbol that is transcendent" sounds alot like what Anselmi alluded to earlier this year.

KwanTuM

Aug 16, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Wow - I grew up in Trenton, ON from 1996-2006 so that's pretty nostalgic seeing some of the Quinte area scenery in the video. Pretty cool to see that coming to the Yardmen arena - I remember doing Young Drivers emergency manoeuvering in the back lot behind it, hahaha. People always talked poorly of the area but I miss it some days.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Ya that's a nice logo. First thing I also thought was that this is a hint at future rebranding of the big team.

2367cb9b-24bb-4045-bf6f-93a992ab91ee.png

It also serves notice to a leafs region that there is an unmistakable Sens presence in town.

“Our goal was to create a symbol that is transcendent,” said Rob Mullowney, Chief Operating Officer of the Belleville Senators. “Our fans will come from many different regions, backgrounds, cultures and lifestyles, and we hope to create a home for them all within our team. This emblem is intended to appeal broadly, no matter who is wearing it, how they are wearing it, or what they are wearing it on.”

Finally, the logo is devoid of any immediate associations that may otherwise have come through the use of a character. This is also intentional, insists Mullowney.

http://bellevillesens.com/the-belleville-senators-unveil-their-official-logo-and-wordmark/

Holy crap they are finally starting to "get it".

Wordmark:

464a771d-16fd-4ba8-a710-822cb0bb30d7.png

Last edited:

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Former Sen .....The Boy Wonder...........

The Boy Wonder
Robin Lehner
signs one-year contract with Sabres
Goaltender avoids salary arbitration hearing, will make $4 million............... He will always hold a special place in our hearts......... He brought Binghamton it's only CUP after 38 yrs of suffering............ I wish him well.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad