B-Sens Belleville 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure he's played in the SHL .......... but he needs to play on North American sized ice, and perhaps for a couple of seasons.

He's not going to wasting his time, playing in the ECHL.......... he's years away from being ready for the the NHL.

No more Lazaring prospects
How many successful NHL goalies play significant time in the echl? If you are trying to suggest that playing a European goalie immediately in the AHL is the same thing as playing a Skater in the NHL you're going to have to show your work.

How many European goalies spend time in the ECHL? Here's a list of starters this year to get you started

Raanta
Rask
Lerner
Lundqvist
Markstrom
Andersen
Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Halak

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I agree with the bolded. It should just be happening in the A and not the E
How is playing Gus in the AHL "Lazaring" him???????? Not even remotely comparable situations

If you want both goaltender prospects to develop, and get accustomed to North American sized ice, and the differences in the way the game is played, then they both need to play. If they're on the same team, they can't play at the same time.

There is nothing wrong with one being the starter in the AHL and the other in the ECHL, if it results in them getting as much ice time as possible.

There is no need to rush either of these Swedish prospects, and "Lazar" them.

Reactions: aragorn

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There are no issues loaning players under contract teams in the SHL.

Yes, but if Senators arrange that, it's okay.

But I understood the poster I was replying to, that one of the Swedish goal-tending prospects might not like being in the ECHL and shuttling between the ECHL and the AHL as required ...... and that he might opt, on his own, to return to Sweden ....... which I doubt the Senators would allow, and would not agree to let him play in Sweden.

Both these prospects need to play in North America, and if that means one is in the AHL and the other in the ECHL, then so be it, they both need as much ice time as possible.

The Senators need to develop NHL goaltenders, and only as a last resort would they consider loaning one of the them to a team in the SHL, IMHO.

What would be the point of having one of the two Swedish goaltender prospects sitting on the bench in Belleville, every game, if there was the option of one of them playing in the ECHL and getting ice time, instead of bench time?

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
He's under contract with the Sens, for next season. Don't think he could play for anyone in Sweden anyways ......... so why would he go back to Sweden?
Because he does not want to play in ECHL. Sens can loan him. They aren't going to keep him here against his will. PD has already said that Gus will be in Belleville but is the only goalie guaranteed to be in Belleville. If Hog does wish to return to Sweden another possibility and this is just my own speculation, would be to loan him to Farjestad as part of the buyout price on Wikstrand's contract.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
What would be the point of having one of the two Swedish goaltender prospects sitting on the bench in Belleville, every game, if there was the option of one of them playing in the ECHL and getting ice time, instead of bench time?

The AHL schedule has tons of back-to-backs or even games 3 nights in a row, I don't think it would be a problem at all to have the 2 swedes splitting the games.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Our depth on RD is pretty thin though. If Karlsson is traded and Wideman doesn't re-sign with us, we basically have Ceci, Jaros and... Harpur?
replacement level player not a big deal. very little chance he'd get a sniff on Ottawa even with their rather poor d corps

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Its worse thanHarpur that, is a LHD

Harpur has played on the right side in Bingo paired with Englund for at least one yr & may have also played RD during his limited time in Belleville last season.

I gonna guess that Dreidger & Hogberg start the season in Belleville & Gustavsson starts the yr in the ECHL. Hopefully, Gustavsson has a great camp & wows everyone to win the starters job in Belleville & I'm wrong.

Reactions: topshelf15

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Harpur has played on the right side in Bingo paired with Englund for at least one yr & may have also played RD during his limited time in Belleville last season.

I gonna guess that Dreidger & Hogberg start the season in Belleville & Gustavsson starts the yr in the ECHL. Hopefully, Gustavsson has a great camp & wows everyone to win the starters job in Belleville & I'm wrong.

I think THE TRADE for Gustavsson will require him to play in Belleville to justify the trade. How could such a valuable trade pickup be relegated to the ECHL? It would be like admitting to a failure in judgement. My intuition is that Hogberg and Gustavsson will be the goaltenders in Belleville with a third goaltender, possibly Driedger, being in the ECHL unless Hog or Gus fall flat on their face.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Gustavsson is never going to see the ECHL looooooooooooool
I'm also certain of that. They are going to keep Gustavsson in Belleville.
And i would not be surprise if the goalie coach goes more often to Belleville than this year.
I think they are taking his development very seriously.

Also, PD said that Gustavsaon will be in Belleville. They probably want to control his playtime which is more difficult in the ECHL because it isn't their team.

I think Hogberg and Gustavsson are going to be the 2 goalie.. Let's try to development these 2 so.that they can become our 2 goalies in Ottawa in a near futur.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Because he does not want to play in ECHL. Sens can loan him. They aren't going to keep him here against his will. PD has already said that Gus will be in Belleville but is the only goalie guaranteed to be in Belleville. If Hog does wish to return to Sweden another possibility and this is just my own speculation, would be to loan him to Farjestad as part of the buyout price on Wikstrand's contract.

I've not heard that Hog is balking at playing in the ECHL.......... have you? If he wants to make it to the NHL, then he would be better served playing in North America and fighting to move up the depth chart ....... and not wimping out and asking to go home to Sweden to play in the SHL. He needs to show that he's committed to playing in the NHL, and returning to Sweden does not do that.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
I've not heard that Hog is balking at playing in the ECHL.......... have you? If he wants to make it to the NHL, then he would be better served playing in North America and fighting to move up the depth chart ....... and not wimping out and asking to go home to Sweden to play in the SHL. He needs to show that he's committed to playing in the NHL, and returning to Sweden does not do that.
Yes, I have heard that he MAY go to Sweden. I don't know whether it has anything to do with the ECHL or not.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think THE TRADE for Gustavsson will require him to play in Belleville to justify the trade. How could such a valuable trade pickup be relegated to the ECHL? It would be like admitting to a failure in judgement. My intuition is that Hogberg and Gustavsson will be the goaltenders in Belleville with a third goaltender, possibly Driedger, being in the ECHL unless Hog or Gus fall flat on their face.

Being a rookie I think it's much more likely if one of them have to go that it be the rookie to get more ice time. But it will depend on how many goalies they have to start the season & who they are as to who goes. I think all that other stuff is just fluff, every yr fans complain about certain players being sent to the AHL or ECH & how a certain player will never get sent there & yet it happens. It's still a very good league & it wouldn't hurt any goalie to get ice time there, IMO it would help their development not hurt it nor would it hurt their ego or pride.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Being a rookie I think it's much more likely if one of them have to go that it be the rookie to get more ice time. But it will depend on how many goalies they have to start the season & who they are as to who goes. I think all that other stuff is just fluff, every yr fans complain about certain players being sent to the AHL or how a certain player will never get sent there & yet it happens. It's still a very good league & it wouldn't hurt any goalie to get ice time there, IMO it would help their development not hurt it nor would it hurt their ego or pride.

I am not concerned about their ego and pride, just their development. I could see Gus and Hog sharing the duties and getting about 50% of the games each. I am not sure what the ECHL team would give them in terms of games as the Senators apparently do not control that team. Plus a good full-time goaltending coach could help them develop in Belleville more cost effectively. I think they would develop better during practice than in games anyway, as they would have more focused ice-time and training than games would provide (standing around doing nothing for more than 50% of game time). I suspect the opponent talent level they would face would be better too in the AHL than in the ECHL. I certainly do not want an aging vet in decline taking game time experience away from the Youngsters.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How many successful NHL goalies play significant time in the echl? If you are trying to suggest that playing a European goalie immediately in the AHL is the same thing as playing a Skater in the NHL you're going to have to show your work.

How many European goalies spend time in the ECHL? Here's a list of starters this year to get you started

Raanta
Rask
Lerner
Lundqvist
Markstrom
Andersen
Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Halak

There’s a pretty long list of NHL goaltenders who have played in the ECHL which features Quick and Holtby and that list is only going to grow. Generally it’s younger goaltending prospects who spent time in the ECHL. European goaltenders are usually a little more polished when they come over but each situation is different. I’m not advocating for Gustavsson to start the year in the ECHL but I have to disagree with how the league is regarded among fans. It’s still a developmental league and for goaltending prospects teams are discovering it’s a very helpful league for development.

Reactions: aragorn

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

He's been the leading Canadian-born SEL/SHL scorer a few times (including this year). 10th in points and 2nd in goals in the entire league; both tops amongst Canadian-born players. Was hoping he'd make the Olympic team but apparently he wasn't really on the radar.

The 9 guys with more points this year:
- Elias Pettersson
- Ryan Lasch (played for USA in WC several years back, only 5'7)
- Joakim Lindstrom (2nd rounder, former NHLer)
- Par Lindholm (Swedish national team vet)
- Johan Ryno (former 5th rounder)
- Dick Axelsson (former 2nd rounder, national team vet)
- Aaron Palushaj (2nd rounder, former NHLer)
- Victor Olofsson (Sabres prospect, 7th rounder)
- Oscar Möller (2nd rounder, former NHLer, internet sensation)

I played soccer with his younger brother, who was a great player and apparently a very skilled hockey player (he stopped playing around 13 or 14, though).

Not sure if he has interest in playing in NA but if he does, he could be a nice addition to Belleville. That said, I could more likely see him going to a team with a bigger-city affiliate.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There’s a pretty long list of NHL goaltenders who have played in the ECHL which features Quick and Holtby and that list is only going to grow. Generally it’s younger goaltending prospects who spent time in the ECHL. European goaltenders are usually a little more polished when they come over but each situation is different. I’m not advocating for Gustavsson to start the year in the ECHL but I have to disagree with how the league is regarded among fans. It’s still a developmental league and for goaltending prospects teams are discovering it’s a very helpful league for development.
Quick I guess, but I did say significant time, so not sure Holtby's dozen games makes the cut. My point though was never that ECHL wasn't good for developing or was an indication of a poor prospect, but rather that going straight to the AHL is not Lazaring a prospect, a term that imo should be banned. Goalies don't need to go to the ECHL to be properly developed. That's all.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad