GDT: Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I respect Bellator for trying to compete with the UFC, but this was a disaster full of horrible fights. I would be surprised if people didn't get fired for wasting money, and I don't think many people bought this show to begin with.

I think you'll be surprised. I enjoyed it. And I'd bet many others did

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I respect Bellator for trying to compete with the UFC, but this was a disaster full of horrible fights. I would be surprised if people didn't get fired for wasting money, and I don't think many people bought this show to begin with.

:laugh: Dana, is that you?

I've seen worse UFC PPVs. Was this going to be UFC 205? Not by a long shot, and if you thought that going in, then I don't know what to tell you. Yeah, the Larkin/Lima fight wasn't good, and a freak accident ruined the Chandler fight. **** happens. If anything I'm now looking forward to Rory fighting Lima, as I think he'll tear through him like he did Daley

The Mitrione/Fedor fight finished exactly how everyone predicted, with a KO. Sure, would have been nice if they had traded more shots, but that double knockdown was crazy.

I have no clue what you were expecting/hoping for the Sonnen/Silva fight. I thought Silva's game plan was horrible, and Sonnen was able to fight his fight.

And to cap it off, who doesn't like watching a hype train get completely derailed? I don't put Pico in the Sage camp, but wow. CM Punk looked better.

All in all, a better card than UFC 209.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
While I thought this card was decent, Sonnen right now is saving Bellator in the post conference, giving props and talking up several of the other fighters.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Seen the link on twitter and hopped in to see where the gofundme was at, looked like HUNDREDS of donations in the past 5 minutes, awesome stuff by Mitrione to use the spotlight for something good.

I didn't like that Mitrione urged donations by saying "let's give this kid a life"

Is the child's mom dead too? Does the child not have grandparents?

I was raised by a single mother who didn't require handouts to provide a middle class upbringing for her 2 kids

Last edited:

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
I was raised by a single mother who didn't require handouts to provide a middle class upbringing for her 2 kids

So was I. And now somehow my mom an I own a house(a small townhouse that is) without ever having high paying jobs. Life ain't so hard in the first world if you're disciplined.

The Hauge's situation is different though in that the primary breadwinner (probably) of the family is suddenly gone. So the mother is obviously in a difficult situation that is hard to just suddenly turn around. So I don't really have a problem with what Mitrione did.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So was I. And now somehow my mom an I own a house(a small townhouse that is) without ever having high paying jobs. Life ain't so hard in the first world if you're disciplined.

The Hauge's situation is different though in that the primary breadwinner (probably) of the family is suddenly gone. So the mother is obviously in a difficult situation that is hard to just suddenly turn around. So I don't really have a problem with what Mitrione did.

If the kid was sick and required expensive medical procedures, then sure, that is a need and as a community we should rally together and help

Worst case scenario for Hague's wife and child is that they have to move in with her parents for a year or two while she regroups

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If the kid was sick and required expensive medical procedures, then sure, that is a need and as a community we should rally together and help

Worst case scenario for Hague's wife and child is that they have to move in with her parents for a year or two while she regroups

The kid will undoubtedly need some therapy at the very least for the way they lost their father. Besides it was a friend asking to help the kid, it's not like the Mother went in the crowd with a collection plate.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Chael/Wanderlei was awful, as expected.

I've seen Fedor's last few fights so I'm not surprised by the result but it still sucks to see. Loved seeing the double the knockdown.

That was an impressive win for Lima. Looking forward to seeing Lima/Rory next for the title.

Really unfortunate end to the Chandler/Primus fight. You have to run that back once Chandler is healthy.

There was so much hype surrounding Pico but Freeman put a stop to that. Pico just walked right into that uppercut and certainly looked like someone who is just starting out. It's only one fight though and if he's as good as people say, he'll be back. Bellator probably has to give him a much less experienced opponent next time.

Davis and Bader somehow managed to put on an even worse fight than their first one. Hopefully we never have to see a third one.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fedor should retire, reminds me the last days of Chuck Liddell(if he doesn't come out of retirement)

Fedor should retire.

Should but word out of his camp after the fight is that he won't. Sucks to watch. I was hoping getting KO'd by stiffs like Mitrione and Maldonado would help him realize the game passed him by and he needs to retire. Doesn't look likely though. Scary because it's only a matter of time before he gets really hurt in there.

I felt the same way when BJ Penn announced he was coming back, and I'd feel the same way if Liddell decides to fight again. Once the game has surpassed you, it's time to walk before anything really bad happens.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think you'll be surprised. I enjoyed it. And I'd bet many others did

It's like watching 80's hockey (Bellator) vs modern hockey (UFC).

Bellator sells the big names and doesn't care about the actual fighters being near the top of their weight class. You're paying for name value and fireworks, not high level technique. On the other hand, most UFC fighters are now well-rounded, which has closed the gap between the champ and the rest of the field. Combine that with every fighter being able to defend against any attack, and the fights are more likely to be technical grinds.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Did they release the PPV buys?

Not yet, but the prelims averaged 901,000 views, which is around what UFC prelims average, so it's looking up. But realistically, anything over 150k PPV is a win for Bellator you'd think.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think I guessed 90k earlier, but that will be low. 120-130k seems more appropriate. We'll see, I haven't seen any numbers released.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Don't donate then. Nothing at all wrong with what Mitrione said. I thought it was really good of him to do that.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Should but word out of his camp after the fight is that he won't. Sucks to watch. I was hoping getting KO'd by stiffs like Mitrione and Maldonado would help him realize the game passed him by and he needs to retire. Doesn't look likely though. Scary because it's only a matter of time before he gets really hurt in there.

I felt the same way when BJ Penn announced he was coming back, and I'd feel the same way if Liddell decides to fight again. Once the game has surpassed you, it's time to walk before anything really bad happens.

I think Fedor would be fine to continue fighting if he simply fought other veterans like Tito, Chael, and Wanderlei.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Read on one of the MMA news sites that the PPV numbers aren't going to be released until late July/early August. Makes sense, as I don't believe the UFC 212 numbers have been released yet either.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You think he's qualified to fight a higher level of talent at this point in his career?

I don't think he should be fighting anyone at this point. He's shell of himself and he's going to get badly hurt by someone, which is a real drag for the guy who ends up caving his face in and causing permanent damage.

Overeem had some interesting things to say about Fedor in this article, and I can't disagree with him.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/...nenko-he-fought-cans-and-declined-to-fight-me

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I don't think he should be fighting anyone at this point. He's shell of himself and he's going to get badly hurt by someone, which is a real drag for the guy who ends up caving his face in and causing permanent damage.

Overeem had some interesting things to say about Fedor in this article, and I can't disagree with him.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/...nenko-he-fought-cans-and-declined-to-fight-me

There's no disputing the fact that he cherry picked his matchups at the tail end of the decade. But that doesn't detract from what he did for the first 2/3 of the decade.

Personally, I think guys should be allowed to fight as long as they want to, and as long as their healthy enough (onus on doctors/commissions/promoters here), and as long as they're being matched up against people they're actually capable of fighting (again, onus on commissions and promoters here).

He could very reasonably fight Chael or Tito (not devastating strikers) or Wanderlei (similar stage of career) and it would be great to watch. I'd even watch him fight Crocop or Big Nog again. Or Randy Couture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad