Bell Globemedia is willing to pay $1.4 Billion for HNIC

A Good Flying Bird*

No HNIC on CBC would be the end of one of the longest traditions in sport. That said the NHL needs to look at every possibility to maximize it's revenue streams. I would expect many of the same on-air personalities would follow along so it may not look much different to the average fan.

But what would this do to CBC?

Wow.
No HNIC on CBC?

Jeezus. Might as well disband the federal government and join the United States of America. (OVERREACTION ... but still)

HuMz

Jan 30, 2005
Calgary, Canada
I could care less.....CBC hockeynight in Canada stopped representing Canada along time ago, and if Bell take's over were still going to have to watch the maple leaf's every weekend.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Hockey Night in Canada on the CBC/Radio Canada is a tradition worth keeping. As far as I'm concerned someone should be able to change the channel to CBC on a Saturday Night 100 years from now and still be a part of that tradition.

CBC is horrible...not directed at the younger generation at all...time for a change.

In what way is the CBC horrible?
Do you hate true reliable news not skewed by the opinions of the multi-billionaire owners who are completely out of touch with reality (see FOX news) ?
Or do you prefer news that is made for the highest possible entertainment value (i.e money), with borderline insulting attempts at 'catchy headlines' as their brand for whatever current tragedy has struck the world, or just skewing the facts of a conflict to fit a narrow 'bad guys' versus 'good guys' plotline (See CNN) ?

Or do you hate informative, well produced documentries about about a large variety of subjects?
(Yes I realise the younger generations that I am a part of don't traditionally like watching documentries, but considering some of the garbage the majority of us do watch.........)

I'll admit some of their attempts at TV shows, Sitcoms, Drama's and the like might be somewhat lame, but at the very least they are trying to provide something Canadian on TV, in a massive sea of Americanization (that's nothing against the USA).

Also, if anyone here actually thinks that Bell Globemedia winning the rights to HNIC means that we won't be forced to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs for the vast majority of Eastern games is in for a very. rude. awakening.
If anything a private broadcasting company would be much, much more likely to air what they think will get them the highest ratings.. and unless the Leafs fanbase disappears into thin air overnight don't expect to be watching Montreal or Ottawa on TSN except on very rare occassions.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
For the American's who pick up CBC with their antennas, you might still be able to pick up CTV with your antennas depending on your location.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Also, if anyone here actually thinks that Bell Globemedia winning the rights to HNIC means that we won't be forced to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs for the vast majority of Eastern games is in for a very. rude. awakening.
If anything a private broadcasting company would be much, much more likely to air what they think will get them the highest ratings.. and unless the Leafs fanbase disappears into thin air overnight don't expect to be watching Montreal or Ottawa on TSN except on very rare occassions.
By the time CTV gets this deal (if they manage to get it), I really do believe that television will change enough that we can pick and choose which game we want to see. With the advent of new digital and satellite television channels (the article mentions a TSN2 type channel) and internet streaming technology improving, I think a fresh, new broadcaster will give us the ability to see whatever we want, when we want. It's the way that media has been changing in recent years, and I think in a couple of years, this will become the norm.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Hockey Night in Canada on the CBC/Radio Canada is a tradition worth keeping. As far as I'm concerned someone should be able to change the channel to CBC on a Saturday Night 100 years from now and still be a part of that tradition.

I would love to see CTV take over from CBC for Hockey Night in Canada (as well as CFL broadcasts). For most developed areas of the country, CTV is just as available as CBC on the airwaves. In the Camrose area (SE of Edmonton) where I grew up and had the luxury of "farm vision" for a number of years, both the CTV and Global signal are better quality than CBC. From what I’ve read in various newspapers, there is also a movement within CBC to get away from sports broadcasting and focus more on the arts and news.

In what way is the CBC horrible?
Do you hate true reliable news not skewed by the opinions of the multi-billionaire owners who are completely out of touch with reality…

Do you ever watch CTV News or Global National News? Their newscasts are just as reliable as CBC, and CBC ranks third in national news, see http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20060209/ctv_release_20060210/20060210

In Edmonton, the local CBC news hardly registers on the radar. It seems in the last few years it’s a flip flop between Global and CTV on who is #1 and #2, CityTV is in third (they've since dropped their 6:00 news when Bell Globemedia purchased CHUM) and CBC is a distant fourth.

As for the skewed news, it can be argued that CBC has a left wing biased to a lot of its news and documentary programs. Both CTV and Global are fairly objective in their newscasts even though they're privately owned. Comparing Canadian based newscasts to American based newscasts can be a different story. :sarcasm:

…unless the Leafs fanbase disappears into thin air overnight don't expect to be watching Montreal or Ottawa on TSN except on very rare occassions.

This could be a real possibility, but at the same time TSN has shown both the Senators and Habs on their national broadcasts before.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This could be a real possibility, but at the same time TSN has shown both the Senators and the Habs on their national broadcasts before.

I have found that TSN has approached hockey much differently than CBC does. They seem to be more encouraging of the concept of promoting the league as a whole, and try to make people fans of the entire NHL, rather than just of one team. I've seen them hype up a Columbus-Minnessotta game before. I personally think that they'll do a better job of getting all of the teams the right exposure.

But, if they don't, at least it's private money. I always got pissed off when the CBC would not show an Ottawa game, because it was my own tax payer money that was being used to prevent me from watching my favourite team. If CTV/TSN pulls the same stunt, I feel much better as a consumer of just turning off my TV and shrugging my shoulders, as I am not owed anything by them. With CBC, that isn't the case.

vbet*

I have found that TSN has approached hockey much differently than CBC does. They seem to be more encouraging of the concept of promoting the league as a whole, and try to make people fans of the entire NHL, rather than just of one team. I've seen them hype up a Columbus-Minnessotta game before. I personally think that they'll do a better job of getting all of the teams the right exposure.

But, if they don't, at least it's private money. I always got pissed off when the CBC would not show an Ottawa game, because it was my own tax payer money that was being used to prevent me from watching my favourite team. If CTV/TSN pulls the same stunt, I feel much better as a consumer of just turning off my TV and shrugging my shoulders, as I am not owed anything by them. With CBC, that isn't the case.

I disagree, they are almost as bad as CBC in a Toronto bias. The studios are in Toronto, during the trade deadline show it was mostly talk about toronto, and listning to Bob McKenzie drives me crazy.

Every 15 min's the start of "Off the Record" is Leafs talk. What we need is west coverage and east coverage seperate. CTV can have the east, Sportsnet can do the west.

Maggie is the only unbiased person on TSN

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
By the time CTV gets this deal (if they manage to get it), I really do believe that television will change enough that we can pick and choose which game we want to see. With the advent of new digital and satellite television channels (the article mentions a TSN2 type channel) and internet streaming technology improving, I think a fresh, new broadcaster will give us the ability to see whatever we want, when we want. It's the way that media has been changing in recent years, and I think in a couple of years, this will become the norm.

I love that idea, but why can't the CBC be the channel to give that to us?
Old man Cole and company won't be around forever, and regardless of whether or not the HNIC crew wants to modernise (in terms of younger talent), time has finally caught up with most of them.

And dear god I can't see how people think TSN with Pierre 'Bird-like head jerks' McGuire, and the annoying 'reporters' from their Sports News desks are any better. If I have to hear Darren 'Dutchy' say "he goes roof daddy" with an expression of self worth one more time I'm going to puke.
Seriously I'm asking what TSN does better in their national hockey broadcasts than CBC does?

-Do you ever watch CTV News or Global National News? ... CBC ranks third in national news, see http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...60210/20060210
-In Edmonton, the local CBC news hardly registers on the radar. It seems in the last few years it’s a flip flop between Global and CTV on who is #1 and #2...
-As for the skewed news, it can be argued that CBC has a left wing biased to a lot of its news and documentary programs. Both CTV and Global are fairly objective in their newscasts even though they're privately owned...

TV Ratings arn't always a reflection of quality.. Hell, I'm not 100% certain, but I'm fairly sure FOX news is the most popular news channel within the United States. Does that mean it is in any way good? heck no. I mean look at the horrible shows that go on to get massive ratings, while the best of the best get canceled.

I'll admit though, CTV is pretty good, but that is a matter of luck of ownership if anything. CTV and its highest parent ownership included Kenneth Thomson, who was well known as a great person who never interfered with the editorial content of his newspaper or T.V. holdings. Hopefully his son is the same way (he recently inherited the company).

As for Global, I'd argue it is a somewhat partisan, right leaning, Alberta/West focused channel. It's the closest thing to FOX news in Canada, even if it remains a very distant and much more respectible cousin. That's okay though, oil provinces have a self interest in making sure they can maximize their revenues before the praries turn into deserts because of global warming and loss of access to water due to the oil industry (just kidding).

As for the CBC having a left leaning bias I wouldn't completely disagree, but often I think they draw attention to left leaning issues, instead of simply shoving a specific viewpoint of their anchors down peoples throats (which I think Global does on occasion). They'll have panels that might include right or left, or various other interest groups, but they usually have both sides of the conflict present. For example, the CBC is covering the World AIDs Convention in Toronto more than any major news channel in Canada, is that because they are left leaning, or because it is a real problem that shouldn't be ignored? (if you ask Harper, it doesn't matter enough to make an appearance, though I applaud him for going North to assert our claims on the North..). But then look at the CBC a week or two earlier, with coverage heavily focused on asserting our claims in the North, a Conservative platform issue (though it should have been an all party issue, but such is the idiocy of partisan politics).

And also this: "Reality has a well known liberial (left) bias". -Stephen Colbert.

vbet*

As for Global, I'd argue it is a somewhat partisan, right leaning, Alberta/West focused channel. It's the closest thing to FOX news in Canada, even if it remains a very distant and much more respectible cousin. That's okay though, oil provinces have a self interest in making sure they can maximize their revenues before the praries turn into deserts because of global warming and loss of access to water due to the oil industry (just kidding).

Bleh don't ever compare Fox News(ya right) to Alberta Conservatives. Alberta may be conservative in vote but it is not because we are more right wing. Alberta is actually left wing more that right in its major cities.

We vote conservative because of what Trudeau's Liberals did with the national energy program in the 80's. It's our ugly dog in the front yard chained to a post. They protect our assets and our economy.

Plus any brain dead monkey could pull off a multi billion $ positive budget in Alberta.

(Probably like 12 billion this year)

Last edited by a moderator:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The National is also on at 9:00 pm on Newsworld, which undoubetedly hurts their ratings at 10:00.

And TSN isn't that biased to Toronto, certainly nowhere near as badly as CBC currently is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad