Bell Globemedia is willing to pay $1.4 Billion for HNIC

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
moneys not really there when compared to the billions the NFL recieved EVERY year.

Yes, but what are a few small regions in the US going to contribute? Everyone already watches football anyways. This would just give em even more money.

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
Just my opinion. If CBC is paying just under a hundred a year for the saturday night broadcasts, then a hundred and forty, locked in for 10 years, sounds CHEAP!!

Fugu

I'm not in Canada, but close enough to get the CBC over the air. HNiC and CBC are a tradition I'd like see continued. However whenever it is tradition vs $$$..........

kootenayfan

Sep 3, 2005
Southeastern BC
The street says that the NHL isn't fond of McLeans hyper-critical view of the 'new-rules'.

Thas exactly why i (and many others iam sure) like Mclean, hes not afraid to say what he thinks. But back to the subject..it indeed would be a sad day if CBC loses HNIC.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
CBC has first dibs on keeping HNIC

If the league did re-sign with CBC, it would likely reward Bell Globemedia by improving TSN's deal. It would give the cable channel more regular-season Canadian content and also a share of postseason series involving Canadian teams. Right now, the CBC has full ownership of the Canadian playoff games.

The CBC's current deal with the NHL probably includes a right of first negotiation. That means the CBC would have a window in which it could cut a new deal without facing a competing bid

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060812.NHLTV12/TPStory/TPSports/Hockey/

The NHL Canadian TV contracts won't be in place until next summer

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I live in New York but I have been watching HNIC for nearly 10 years when the NHL Center Ice package became available.Ron McLean is an idiot.Love Don Cherry.Love Satellite Hotstove even though it's not the same without Al Strachan and takes a bigger hit without John Davidson.Strachan was removed because Gary Bettman didn't like some of the comments Strach made about the NHL during the lockout.Getting back to Ron,he sucks.He is perfect for the BBC and not the CBC

Oil_in_my_veins

Sep 17, 2003
Windsor, ON
How many viewers does the NHL lose if they go cable instead of "free TV" CBC? hey I never thought Monday night football would be on cable, looks like everything sportswise is going that route.

they could still be on free TV CTV and some could be on cable TSN.

CBC is horrible...not directed at the younger generation at all...time for a change.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
I'm not in Canada, but close enough to get the CBC over the air. HNiC and CBC are a tradition I'd like see continued. However whenever it is tradition vs $$$..........
If you recieve CBC over the air, don't you also get CTV over the air? So spill-over from Canada for those near the border shouldn't be too big a problem for any-one ?
EDIT:
Wassup with the points and why do I have 61.3 of them???

Last edited:

Fugu

If you recieve CBC over the air, don't you also get CTV over the air? So spill-over from Canada for those near the border shouldn't be too big a problem for any-one ?
EDIT:
Wassup with the points and why do I have 61.3 of them???

I'm in Michigan and I don't think CTV has a Windsor affiliate?? At least I never thought to look for it. I get Directv Center Ice package too so I'm in no danger of having less hockey on TV to watch. The problem is though that you get used to things, and HNiC just has to be on CBC. It's like apple pie and the 4th of July, only north of the border (east and south here too). :D

Re: points. I have no idea. I was trying to find an announcement or something explaining the point system....

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Love Satellite Hotstove even though it's not the same without Al Strachan and takes a bigger hit without John Davidson.Strachan was removed because Gary Bettman didn't like some of the comments Strach made about the NHL during the lockout.
Strachan was removed because he's a Grade-A idiot, prone to inventing things on the air as they come into his head, much as he does in his newspaper column, which accordingly isn't fit to wrap fish in. He so incensed Brian Burke with one such comment that Burke demanded airtime on CBC the same night to respond, and tore a strip off Ron MacLean doing so. On a second occasion one of the other Hotstove participants (I forget if it was Davidson or Red Fisher) started taking him to task for his fictional flights of fancy and MacLean had to cut the segment off.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
People cried when CBS lost the NFL to Fox.

People gave a 'what the heck' when ABC announced that after 30 years, Monday Night Football was switching to ESPN.

Trust me Canada, you'll get over HNIC switching to TSN.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I live in New York but I have been watching HNIC for nearly 10 years when the NHL Center Ice package became available.Ron McLean is an idiot.Love Don Cherry.Love Satellite Hotstove even though it's not the same without Al Strachan
Man, you couldn't have gotten it more backward: Cherry's the idiot, love McLean and Al Strachan is gladly missed!

But you're a NYR fan, so you got one thing right: losing John Davidson wasn't good

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003

People gave a 'what the heck' when ABC announced that after 30 years, Monday Night Football was switching to ESPN.

It's not the same thing.
Back in the old days, the only channel you got was CBC. This has been it's staple since 1952. It has 50+ years of history.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

HNIC is the CBC's biggest money earner and you take that profit out of their system---the cbc would be going back for alot more money

Look at all the crap the CBC did during the lockout....

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
It's not the same thing.
Back in the old days, the only channel you got was CBC. This has been it's staple since 1952. It has 50+ years of history.

In that vain, it is the exact same thing. When Fox outbid CBS it was thought almost sacreglious. CBS was the first network to broadcast the NFL, and they were ending then 40 years of tradition.

CBS got the NFL back, at NBC's expense. NBC now has football back, this time at ABC's expense.

Monetary competition is good for the league. The fans will get over it quickly -- as long as HNIC is still on, the network braodcasting it won't matter.

Small Brain Presence

The start of the thread says that "Bell Globemedia is willing to pay $1.4 Billion for HNIC." That is like saying that when nutbar Ted Turner gave $100 million a year for 10 years to the U.N. that he was donating a billion dollars. Depending on what discount rate you use, the current value of $140 million for 10 years would be something like 800 or 900 million dollars.

ficklenfuddle

Mar 8, 2004
they are messing around with my childhood, i have been watching cbc for close to 20 years i can deal with changing girlfriends but i can not deal with no hockey on channel 6 on saturday nights

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The start of the thread says that "Bell Globemedia is willing to pay $1.4 Billion for HNIC." That is like saying that when nutbar Ted Turner gave $100 million a year for 10 years to the U.N. that he was donating a billion dollars. Depending on what discount rate you use, the current value of $140 million for 10 years would be something like 800 or 900 million dollars.

Excuse me but if you read the beginning of the article it says

$1.4-billion
It's an eye-popping amount of money, and according to two sources, Bell Globemedia is willing to pay it over 10 years to get the rights to Hockey Night in Canada for CTV and TSN

For some reason,you are not allowed to edit the title of the thread

Avery4Byng*

they are messing around with my childhood, i have been watching cbc for close to 20 years i can deal with changing girlfriends but i can not deal with no hockey on channel 6 on saturday nights

I hear ya.... HNIC on CBC is a lonnnggg time Canadian tradition. It would be brutal to change things... But money speaks louder then words.

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu

Good math. This is precisely why I think it's cheap and a good move by BGM. CBC will have trouble matching it. they currently pay about 65mm a year just for the saturday rights, which is rumoured to provide them with profit of up to 30mm on a good year... All this is moot though if the CBC was smart enough to include a provision in the last contract to get first right of refusal for the new rights...

I think CBC HNIC is definitely a valued tradition in Canada, but make sure they pay the right amount for it...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
It's not the same thing.

but the NHL is a business first and foremost. And really since when has the current NHL management gave a crap about the tradition of the game? Money talks and BS walks and when everything is tied to revenues the most money talks the loudest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->