Beliveau says players making a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=104218

''They're making a big mistake, a terrible mistake,'', Beliveau told the Gazette. ''I've always sided with the players in the past but this time I really believe they're completely wrong. I'm sad to see that players don't seem to believe that 20 or 22 franchises are in deep financial trouble. No business can operate with 75 per cent of its total revenue going to the salary budget.''

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The HFNHLPA assistants will be by to tell you Belliveau is out of touch with reality and should shut up. Never mind he's one of the classiest people to ever play the game. How could he be so right if we know Goodenow to be always right. To hear it spoken on these boards, a player victory will bring with it a nobel peace prize for Bob, Goodenow will be right there with Mandela- an icon.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
The HFNHLPA assistants will be by to tell you Belliveau is out of touch with reality and should shut up. Never mind he's one of the classiest people to ever play the game. How could he be so right if we know Goodenow to be always right. To hear it spoken on these boards, a player victory will bring with it a nobel peace prize for Bob, Goodenow will be right there with Mandela- an icon.

you should speak for yourself ... or better yet, dont.

dr

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Beliveau? The guy who played for the Quebec Aces and held out on the Canadiens until he could shake them down for a then-unheard-of sum? That guy?
He was only getting thirty rubles a game, he had to do something. I have added my signature so you know the post is authentic.

SWHA.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Ya the same guy who has seen his pension quadruple and more since Bob Goodenow took over the NHLPA, that guy.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Its the same song and dance in every thread.

I'd say it's more of a triple-sachow but that would be the wrong sport.

The more things change the more the stay the same. Imagine that.

If Beliveau was a 22 year-old phenom today, what would his position be? I mean, based on what he did way back when he was 22 years old.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
So Jean is no more than a paid political announcement courtesy of the NHL. Owners don't lose money they just hire ex NHLers to say they do. A wicked scheme.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
I'd say it's more of a triple-sachow but that would be the wrong sport.

The more things change the more the stay the same. Imagine that.

If Beliveau was a 22 year-old phenom today, what would his position be? I mean, based on what he did way back when he was 22 years old.
Well his position would no doubt would be whatever Goodenow told him it was. Not that he would turn the money down mind you.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
So Jean is no more than a paid political announcement courtesy of the NHL. Owners don't lose money they just hire ex NHLers to say they do. A wicked scheme.

Of course they hire them. Jean Beliveau worked for the Canadiens. He was a Vice President for more than 10 years. He hasn't been a player for a long time, he is management. I would expect the same thing from Bobby Clarke.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Jean Beliveau said:
Beliveau has little sympathy for the owners either, siding more with the numerous people who have lost their jobs as a result of the lockout and the fans who have no hockey to watch.

''Those who love hockey and don't have other interests must really be suffering,'' Beliveau told the Gazette. ''But wait until the weather gets worse, football is over, and these people come home from a long day's work to watch a good hockey game - and there is none.''

A team with $50mil in revenues probably cant survive by spending 75% of its revenues on salaries, but a team with $100mil probably could. If they could grow the game, and continue increasing revenues, then they would get to a point when 75% would be a reasonable figure.

The players arent saying there arent problems, and have offered significant concessions and options for further bargaining, despite the cliche claims the offer was a joke.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
Of course they hire them. Jean Beliveau worked for the Canadiens. He was a Vice President for more than 10 years. He hasn't been a player for a long time, he is management. I would expect the same thing from Bobby Clarke.
So has the NHL arranged a schedule for prominent management types to cry their crocodile tears? Next week we will have Dave Taylor scheduled, he will carry a pager for seven days and be prepared to spew propaganda to the best of his ability -to any and all media outlets.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
So has the NHL arranged a schedule for prominent management types to cry their crocodile tears?

Wouldnt surprise me in the least. It would be right on character. They have already gone through the old boys club of ex-owners. This seems right on schedule in their massive PR campaign in hopes to avoid bargaining.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
So has the NHL arranged a schedule for prominent management types to cry their crocodile tears? Next week we will have Dave Taylor scheduled, he will carry a pager for seven days and be prepared to spew propaganda to the best of his ability -to any and all media outlets.

That sounds like a good plan. Maybe they run with it.

It's war, baby. Bring on the propaganda.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
SwisshockeyAcademy said:

Why not we have heard from 2 management types already Beliveau and Lafleure. My guess Ken Dryden will chime in again soon, and we all know who he worked for.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Well maybe the NHLPA can get some ex players on their side , perhaps Ivan Boldirev could use a few bucks. Stick a microphone in his face and have him tell the world the players are getting a raw deal. He wouldn't cost much.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Well maybe the NHLPA can get some ex players on their side , perhaps Ivan Boldirev could use a few bucks. Stick a microphone in his face and have him tell the world the players are getting a raw deal. He wouldn't cost much.

I love that sense of humor. How about Lanny McDonald. He hasn't said much, Tiger Williams(ya there a good one), Gordie Howe, there are lots of ex high profile players keeping their mouths shut. Why would they say anything their pension checks have taken a huge upswing since Bob Goodenow took over.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
I love that sense of humor. How about Lanny McDonald. He hasn't said much, Tiger Williams(ya there a good one), Gordie Howe, there are lots of ex high profile players keeping their mouths shut. Why would they say anything their pension checks have taken a huge upswing since Bob Goodenow took over.
I do not begrudge the players their pensions. Just like i will have no problem seeing Lecavalier, etc getting a great pension in the future. Why do some of these guys not come out and support the players?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
Bad choice. Ted Lindsay still holds him responsible for kiboshing the original organizing drive.

True, speaking of Ted Linsay there is another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->