Belfour on Team Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
On Hockeycentral tonight, they were saying that since the third goaltending spot just needs to be someone who has good chemistry with the team, that Ed Belfour might get it because of his work at the Salt Lake City Games.

I happen to think that's a good idea.....

Thoughts?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
SammyTheBull said:
:biglaugh: Never going to happen

Well I wouldn't say NEVER. You never know.

However, in this case it is highly unlikely. Sportsnet Hockey Central panel is mostly Toronto-centric (most of their guys had some affiliation with the Leafs, being Kypreos, Stellick, Watters), so Belfour is probably the name that comes up first for them.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Hmmmm...I know its only the 3rd goalie, but a couple of injuries and our hopes are riding on his back.
I'm pretty sure we'd rather have someone who can actually stop some pucks, thanks.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Oh come on man!!! Even the biased Toronto reporters have conceded that Eddie has no chance. He's look weak in many games this season, imo.

Look, I like Eddie and he's had a hall of fame career and I respect him for that. But his age is starting to show.

Feb 24, 2004
The thing is I understand that Belfour has been bad this year, but he wouldnt be there to stop pucks. He's more of a morale boosting type of guy

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
leafs4thecup said:
The thing is I understand that Belfour has been bad this year, but he wouldnt be there to stop pucks. He's more of a morale boosting type of guy
You know Eddie will bring a keg to the clubhouse. Not sure they need that, though. Might be counterproductive before the game.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
leafs4thecup said:

I think the problem is that he could conceivably have to be a puck-stopper if injuries cropped up. Unless you wanted to waste a taxi-squad spot on Turco or Joseph. Better to name three guys you would trust to actually play and spend the taxi-squad on skaters.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Belfour's been fantastic some nights, awful on others. He's starting to show his age. The fact that it took a considerable amount of time to pass Sawchuk (he was stuck on 447 wins for what seemed like forever) likely was the final nail in the coffin.

Turco and Joseph have been much better this year. Turco was ever bit as good in accepting his role as the third goalie for last year's World Championships as Belfour was in the 2002 Olympics. (And Belfour was great in that role). There is no reason to pick Belfour over Turco.

AgentOrange*

Steveorama said:
Hmmmm...I know its only the 3rd goalie, but a couple of injuries and our hopes are riding on his back.
I'm pretty sure we'd rather have someone who can actually stop some pucks, thanks.

Or atleast someone with a good back! :D

AgentOrange*

leafs4thecup said:

Get team Canada some strippers/hookers then. :sarcasm:

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Tricolore#20 said:
Well I wouldn't say NEVER. You never know.

However, in this case it is highly unlikely. Sportsnet Hockey Central panel is mostly Toronto-centric (most of their guys had some affiliation with the Leafs, being Kypreos, Stellick, Watters), so Belfour is probably the name that comes up first for them.

I would think the chances are extremely unlikely he will be annouced. I believe the third goalie is Turco. With the Brodeur the starter and Luongo the backup.

Transported Upstater

SSJTOM said:
Belfour doesn't deserve to be on Team Canada.

Turco, Broduer, Luongo are probably the three most deserving.

I definitely agree. I would put Turco in over Joseph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad