Belarus: Belarusian prospects. Updates, reports.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
CHL import draft is today, very curious to see who might be taken this year.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
My most likely draftees are Sharangovich, Martynyuk, Mikhalchuk, Pavlenko, Borshyov, Azhgirey, Gotovets.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Like ozo put it - mildly surprised - that Sushko went as high as 4th round. Really hard to see him becoming NHL player.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Like ozo put it - mildly surprised - that Sushko went as high as 4th round. Really hard to see him becoming NHL player.
I'd appreciate some analysis on him if possible, like strong and weak sides, his playing style, ethics, etc. I mean some personal opinion. Because I haven't seen him much, just the ohl conference finals games.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Surprisingly Sharangovich wasn't picked. He was very clear about his intentions to play in the CHL and in my view a 19 y.o. forward with the WC and WJC experience could be useful for a CHL team.
If he just decided to play with the USHL's Youngston that was probably not his best idea.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
NA doesn't make sense plain and simple for him. If he hadn't played 38 games in Extraliga USHL and subsequent NCAA would be a sensible (if not great) plan, but a single season in CHL as an overager? What good it really does for him?

In more interesting news Vorobey on a try-out in Bratislava? That is a first!

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
NA doesn't make sense plain and simple for him. If he hadn't played 38 games in Extraliga USHL and subsequent NCAA would be a sensible (if not great) plan, but a single season in CHL as an overager? What good it really does for him?
Scouts attention that he can't get in the BXL? He is still draft eligible in 2018 and good CHL statistics could be a good background for him.
What options he could have in Europe? Dinamo?
Anyway having him made that decision to play in NA there's nothing we can do but just discuss which NA league could be a right choice. He chose the worst of options, on my opinion.

In more interesting news Vorobey on a try-out in Bratislava? That is a first!
I keep my fingers crossed for him but yet it's just a tryout.

By the way, am I getting it wrong or the CHL is not a priority for Latvian juniors? I don't see many of them in import draft-lists for the whole time. I belive there have been lots of Latvian players able to play there.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Scouts attention that he can't get in the BXL? He is still draft eligible in 2018 and good CHL statistics could be a good background for him.
What options he could have in Europe? Dinamo?
Anyway having him made that decision to play in NA there's nothing we can do but just discuss which NA league could be a right choice. He chose the worst of options, on my opinion.

I keep my fingers crossed for him but yet it's just a tryout.

By the way, am I getting it wrong or the CHL is not a priority for Latvian juniors? I don't see many of them in import draft-lists for the whole time. I belive there have been lots of Latvian players able to play there.

First of all, I think Sharangovich is pretty delusional if he thinks he can make NHL whichever league he chooses. But imo somehow becoming impact player for a KHL team is his best chance of getting noticed by the NHL GM's.

And as far as Latvians are concerned, we currently have very uninspiring bunch of kids making the grade, so it is more down to sheer lack of talant than not wanting to go to CHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'd appreciate some analysis on him if possible, like strong and weak sides, his playing style, ethics, etc. I mean some personal opinion. Because I haven't seen him much, just the ohl conference finals games.

Well my analysis could only be even more shallow than your's then but from what I've seen he's neither fast, nor elusive and is smallish. In other words, really hard to see what his niche could be in the NHL because he seems like a good scorer but only if the game around him is slow enough.

But then again, Texier went #45 so Sushko being picked #107 is no surprise by comparison.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
First of all, I think Sharangovich is pretty delusional if he thinks he can make NHL whichever league he chooses. But imo somehow becoming impact player for a KHL team is his best chance of getting noticed by the NHL GM's.

And as far as Latvians are concerned, we currently have very uninspiring bunch of kids making the grade, so it is more down to sheer lack of talant than not wanting to go to CHL.
Well, I have a higher opinion on Sharangovich but I may be subjective. He did some nice plays on the World Championship, smart enough for the player of his age.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Can any of you comment on Vasili Filyayev's game and what expectations we might have of him in Owen Sound?
Filyayev had played the second half of the 16/17 season with Team Belarus U20 (NTDP analogue) in Belarusian Extraleague (major pro league). Though he doesn't score often he usually works hard at both ends: offencive, screening goalies and seeking for rebound in front of the net, and defencive.
His weak side, on my opinion, is that he haven't learned yet to use his size properly. I saw him falling down quite often after being checked but in his defence that usually were plays against mature pro Extraleague players.
Here is the highlights of the Mac's tournament final game where he (#19) made 2+3 points https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwRhDwE2CqQ

WhiteWings*

Sep 1, 2016
Can any of you comment on Vasili Filyayev's game and what expectations we might have of him in Owen Sound?
You can take look at him in the Russia-Belarus game. He's #2, played at center on the 1st line and 1st PP unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5z7h5uK6Xs&feature=youtu.be
Here's Filyayev's shift against team USA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-s6FmX6GA

That Belarus team looked pretty decent against Russia and Sweden (2:3 loss) and I thought they dominated Latvia in relegation games. Filyayev's very good defensively for his age, makes right decisions most of the time, goes to the net, digs the pucks along the boards, can pass. I think his skating and shooting need some work. He's a typical big kid with some upside who needs some good coaching.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Ivan Kulbakov from USHL is signed by Cleveland Monsters.
Happy to see two players from Belarus made a step forward in NA.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Sharangovich is in a tryout with Dinamo Minsk, scored twice today against BXL's Yunost at Minsk Cup.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Sharangovich is in a tryout with Dinamo Minsk, scored twice today against BXL's Yunost at Minsk Cup.

Good for him, maybe draft failures will motivate to prove his doubters wrong. With current Dinamo roster, he might actually get some KHL looks (that said defiately we will see some foreigners added to current roster)

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Good for him, maybe draft failures will motivate to prove his doubters wrong. With current Dinamo roster, he might actually get some KHL looks (that said defiately we will see some foreigners added to current roster)
He probably chose the way you suggested above and it appeared to be a good desicion. One more goal today scored against Dinamo Riga.
Plus Pavel Vorobei scored GWG yesterday for Kunlun against Jokerit.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Looking to chat about the upcoming WJC - excited to see how Belarus does, crossing fingers for no injuries they look to have as good of a team as they have had in years. Trio of guys doing well in the BOL, several players having good seasons in the CHL and then Sharangovich, who I anticipate to be one of the better players at the tournament. If Grishenko can hold the fort things could get interesting.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Looking to chat about the upcoming WJC - excited to see how Belarus does, crossing fingers for no injuries they look to have as good of a team as they have had in years. Trio of guys doing well in the BOL, several players having good seasons in the CHL and then Sharangovich, who I anticipate to be one of the better players at the tournament. If Grishenko can hold the fort things could get interesting.

That's how I see the roster:

Drozdov - Sharangovich - Lukashevich
Martynov - Anisimov - Sushko
Ryadchenko - Litvinov - Bovbel
Ivanovsky - Filyayev - Malashchenko
Mikhalchuk

Savritsky - Yeryomenko
Deryabin - Martynyuk
Magaletsky - Sokolovsky
Gostev

Grischenko, Rodik

Unfortunately Drozdov and Ryadchenko are injured, hope they come back for WJC.
btw, which trio did you mean?

Reactions: malkinfan

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
That's how I see the roster:

Drozdov - Sharangovich - Lukashevich
Martynov - Anisimov - Sushko
Ryadchenko - Litvinov - Bovbel
Ivanovsky - Filyayev - Malashchenko
Mikhalchuk

Savritsky - Yeryomenko
Deryabin - Martynyuk
Magaletsky - Sokolovsky
Gostev

Grischenko, Rodik

Unfortunately Drozdov and Ryadchenko are injured, hope they come back for WJC.
btw, which trio did you mean?

I didnt mean specific trio, I meant 3 or so guys who are excelling in the BOL - all guys you named above Anisimov, Lukasevich and Drozdov. BTW you dont think Sapego will have a shot at the team? I think the key to the teams success lies in Grischenko's hands. He was good at the U18, hope he can move his game up to the older level.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
There's not much info on Sapego since he had gone to the CHL. No games to watch, lack of stats. Plus he is 1999-born. Given that I doubt he is able to displace anyone from current ntdp-team roster while non-ntdp players' (Yeryomenko, Martynyuk) positions seem to be indisputable.
As for Grischenko, it's historically that any Belarus team success mostly depends on goalies since we don't have much skilled players. The question is what is considered a success for this team :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad