"Behind the scenes" documentaries about the modern Red Wings?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm watching "Behind the B" on the NHL network right now. It's a documentary type thing on the inner workings of the Bruins. And it is quite candid. I am listening to management discussing how much they do or do not like Tyler Seguin's work ethic and playstyle, his value in a trade, his potential, why he should go, and why he should stay.

And of course, one thing I hear is "We can't be wasting the kids for the sake of veterans." I was floored. But that's just an aside, really.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar series/show done about the Red Wings. More and more I want to know what the hell management is thinking. And if it's as frank and honest as what I just saw, it would be pretty eye-opening. (Hopefully...)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am curious to watch this play out with the 24/7 series. It seems like in the past seasons HBO guys ask a little tougher questions on these guys. Getting at a lot of the venting, if Tatar is still pressbox fodder they are going to ask him about it and they are going to ask Babcock about it.

Detroit has their media trained, they even have the national media trained that gets to break their stories there as well. Might be in for some uncomfortable moments, because the league forces you to comply with the 24/7 crowd and these are in many cases award winning documentary people that aren't going to pull punches.

Of course worth pointing out, the Bruins are scratching Hamilton and traded Seguin away for Eriksson and exchanged Horton for Iginla. They have a veteran approach to them as well at times. They of course move prospects faster than us, everyone does, but much of the trust is placed in vets there as well and Julien punishes younger guys quicker in terms of line demotions and press box time.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Of course worth pointing out, the Bruins are scratching Hamilton and traded Seguin away for Eriksson and exchanged Horton for Iginla. They have a veteran approach to them as well at times. They of course move prospects faster than us, everyone does, but much of the trust is placed in vets there as well and Julien punishes younger guys quicker in terms of line demotions and press box time.

Eh, I see that as more being very pro-active in their approach. Seguin is only 21 and already played 3 seasons for the Bruins. And after those three years they ultimately didn't like what they saw in parts of his game so they changed it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And of course, one thing I hear is "We can't be wasting the kids for the sake of veterans." I was floored. But that's just an aside, really.

Senators sended Zibanejad to minor to get more experince.

St. Louis has been scratching Pääjärvi.

There's a lot more other examples.

It's not like we are the only organization doing these things.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Senators sended Zibanejad to minor to get more experince.

St. Louis has been scratching Pääjärvi.

There's a lot more other examples.

It's not like we are the only organization doing these things.

Zibanejad is 20

Paajarvi is 22

Gustav Nyquist is TWENTY FOUR YEARS OLD playing in a league he's dominated for over 2 years.

No other organization brings up their prospects like the Red Wings. No body. It's not even comparable.

I commend you for trying to relate though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
what frk it said. and

sens sent zibby down bc he didn't play well enough. was beaten by da costa who they waived since then. they do have 20 yr old pageau up there. 4th rounder in 2011.

blues have

tarasenko
stewart
backes
berglund
morrow
oshie
roy
schwartz
steen
sobotka

and there's the reason, or more like 10 of them, why pääjärvi has hard time cracking blues roster. and two of them are 21.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let me expand on this a little more...

You bring up that Ottawa's not playing 20 year old Zibanajed, who's a highly touted prospect. OK. How about the fact that they are giving heavy ice time to a 23 year old 5'8 undrafted Cory Conacher. A guy Tomas Tatar specifically mentioned is frustrating to see in the league, considering he played in the AHL with him, and is small in stature just like Tatar.

Then we have St. Louis who is scratching Paajarvi. Ok. But they are also playing two 21 year old wingers in Tarasenko and Schwartz. Tarasenko was taken only 5 picks before Sheahan in 2010.

The youngest Detroit forward is 24. The top 6 of Detroit has 5/6 players 30 or older.

We have two players (Tatar and Nyquist) that if they were drafted by any other team in the league, they would be NHL regulars by now. Neither are on Detroit. The Red Wings are by far the most conservative team in the league, and it's hurting their player development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad