Beer Leagues

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
anything you could possibly give me...heard of them..but was wondering what exactly it was..how hard it was to get into one...etc..basic info..age req..

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
anything you could possibly give me...heard of them..but was wondering what exactly it was..how hard it was to get into one...etc..basic info..age req..
Pointstreak.com has a list of leagues, you could check to see if there's any in your area. Google might be able to tell you, too (look for "hockey league <your city here>").

In general, "beer league" is a name for any recreational (i.e. not competetive/travel) league. The name comes from the tendency to drink beer in the locker room after (& sometimes before ;)) the games. I'm not sure about age limits, although I know there are plenty of "older" leagues that have minimum ages (40-and over, 35-and over, etc); my local league doesn't have an age limit as far as I know although I bet over-18 is essentially assumed (and you won't be drinking beer until 21).

They vary a lot depending on local administrator, some are pretty casual, no-check leagues, some are really competitive checking leagues, etc. Most are laid out in divisions (for example, my local has AA, A, B, and C leagues, with AA being the highest skill level and C the lowest), but skill levels vary a lot.

Getting into one generally just means pay your money; there's very little requirement other than that (the local league admin just requires you to be a good enough skater to not be actively dangerous to anyone else). Ours has a new player skate before each season's draft so captains can check out new players.

The good ones (IMO) conform to USA Hockey rules (which you can get at their website, usahockey.com), but again the referees vary a lot. Some are good, and some are bad, some are really strict and some will let more things go.

Last edited:

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
thanks alot..i'm 21 so i'm definalty down for the beer part hahah..im kind of looking for something more competitive than the local inhouse league in my area..Anyone know of anything in New Jersey by any chance?

Last edited:

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
thanks alot..i'm 21 so i'm definalty down for the beer part hahah..im kind of looking for something more competitive than the local inhouse league in my area..Anyone know of anything in New Jersey by any chance?

Competition is great at every level!! If you think you can Hang at the top division theres going to be plenty of guys who will try to prove to you that you can't! Just saying unless you went undrafted last week you will struggle in most Gold level leagues.

Most of those guys are x div 1 players, x minors, and x pro players wanting "Good Competition". At least thats the way it is out here in L.A.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
In general, "beer league" is a name for any recreational (i.e. not competetive/travel) league. The name comes from the tendency to drink beer in the locker room after (& sometimes before ;))

And durring sometimes :D

Most of those guys are x div 1 players, x minors, and x pro players wanting "Good Competition". At least thats the way it is out here in L.A.

We have those leagues around here too (central NJ). Most rinks have leagues for all levels, including what you mentioned about. BeastinB's, if you tell me what area of NJ you live in, and your playing experence I might be able to make some suggestions.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
hey man..i live in monmouth county..i'm 21..i skated since i was 2 years old..played in a league at 5...i'm pretty experienced...im about 15 minutes outside of trenton...i'm right next to Great Adventure actually..

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
not too far from me :P I'm about 45 minutes North. so if anyone knows of some decent leagues around for me too that'd be fantastic. i'm 18, been playing goal since i was 11. played high school... that's the most competitive i've been though.

not to be a pain, but what about Albany? going up there for school in August and I don't think i'll make the team :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->