Bears at Nationals

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
UofA Golden Bears play their first game Friday at 10 a.m. They're seeded second in the eight-team tournament in New Brunswick. The Bears have, I think, 15 national titles. I'm taking Friday afternoon off for this game. If they win they will play Saturday in a semi-final matchup.

Edited for time correction.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
UofA Golden Bears play their first game Friday at 1 p.m. They're seeded second in the eight-team tournament in New Brunswick. The Bears have, I think, 15 national titles. I'm taking Friday afternoon off for this game. If they win they will play Saturday in a semi-final matchup.

Is there a way to watch this game? sounds like a good excuse to get into some Friday afternoon beers!

Reactions: IBleedOil247

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Is there a way to watch this game? sounds like a good excuse to get into some Friday afternoon beers!
Sorry, my schedule must be NB time. That's 10 a.m. local. Too early for beer? I'll find out how you (and I) can watch it. Stay tuned.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
What happens if they don't win Friday. Eliminated?
Yes. Nationals has changed (I believe it was 2 years ago) from a 6-team tournament (2 pools of 3) to an 8-team tournament where it is bracketed and goes quarters, semis, finals. You lose your quarter-final and you are done.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It's been an eight-team tournament for at least several years. Same as university basketball.

Also, it doesn't look like tomorrow's game isn't on Sportsnet. They start televising the semi-final games Saturday, as they have in previous years as I now recall.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Tomorrow is a rematch versus the Sask. Huskies, who the Bears beat in the league final. Those teams hate each other so it will be good.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
If Sask is undisciplined the Bears will destroy them on the PP.

A little different playing on a normal size rink compared to the Drake.

Even with that, the Bears depth wins the day. 4-2 Bears.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bears looking like crap today. This is not one of the stronger Bears squads. Really getting rag dolled by the seemingly much bigger Huskies who are just controlling the game. A 4 on 4 looked like a two man advantage for the Huskies. Bears couldn't even touch the puck.

I've followed the bears lots for decades and this one of the weakest Bears lineups I've ever seen.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
You inspired them, well done. Heading to OT after a third-period comeback.

That crap team had a 24-4 record this season. The Huskies are also very good. Give them some credit; their defence is excellent.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You inspired them, well done. Heading to OT after a third-period comeback.

That crap team had a 24-4 record this season. The Huskies are also very good. Give them some credit; their defence is excellent.

Yeah, razz timing post for the OT W.

Half a dozen PP's in a row seemed to help the Bears. They didn't look like much at Evens.

The bears always have a good record. Its Canada West. The Only team usually that challenges is the Huskies.

Anyway less familiar with this Bears addition than previous incarnations.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
What an exciting game. In fact, both semis went to OT today. I'll be parked in front of my TV for the final tomorrow.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Actually, by all metrics this was a very strong Bears squad. Especially considering they only have one 5th year and are mostly a 2nd year eligibility team. They didn't look good through 2 periods, but as I said yesterday if Sask was undisciplined that would be their undoing.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This is a very good Bears team that played poorly early against a really good defence then took over. It's a young team that should be stronger next season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is a very good Bears team that played poorly early against a really good defence then took over. It's a young team that should be stronger next season.
Yeah, I didn't go to any games this year which is rare. Usually I have a better take on the team. This appears to be a rebuilding squad. Pretty good program to be in a National final again with most players probably returning next season.

Not sure what the score is now, it was 1-0 SFX.

Why are these almost always played in Atlantic Canada? Yesterday for the Bears semifinal I don't think there was more than 1k people in attendance. most of the lower seats were empty. If this was in Edmonton you could sell out lower bowl at Rogers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad