Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIII: Countdown to the Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I never thought I would be excited about a guard but with how Nelson is rated I would be jacked if we were able to pick him. One scouting report said he was the best guard they seen since Larry Allen...

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
The bears seem to be in a position to take a top 1-5 talent even though they are drafting 8th. I wouldn’t trade down in that situation unless it’s a few spots back.

Let’s hope there is huge run on qbs!

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Just to put such a notion to bed--there's zero interest in trading up, correct? At least 3 of the picks will be QB's, then Barkley and Chubb but assuming the rest is what will be left over, there's no value to be had trying to move up when the Bears need to hang on to all of the picks they currently have. Yes?

Reactions: bayshoni

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Just to put such a notion to bed--there's zero interest in trading up, correct? At least 3 of the picks will be QB's, then Barkley and Chubb but assuming the rest is what will be left over, there's no value to be had trying to move up when the Bears need to hang on to all of the picks they currently have. Yes?
If Pace is able to Keep future 1st round picks and 2nd round picks then it is a possible Outcome. Pace will get his guy.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

They don't really have the assets to do it. A trade up now would cost this years 2nd or next several picks next year. I would be shocked if he was looking to move up. The Bears aren't one player away.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If the Bears hadn't traded up last year, I wouldn't be against moving up a few spots to make sure they get Nelson, but I don't think you can do that 2 years in a row.

I want Nelson. Would be good with Smith or Edmunds or Chubb (obviously). Don't really want to go secondary. I'd be fine with trading down if Nelson isn't there as well.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So our GM creates a hole that didn't exist and then is going to use our top 10 first round pick to fix hole

A top 10 pick for guard is already questionable. Trading more picks to move up to ensure you get him is absurd

Wonderful GM we have

Cant wait until he hypes up Kevin White again

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If the Bears hadn't traded up last year, I wouldn't be against moving up a few spots to make sure they get Nelson, but I don't think you can do that 2 years in a row.

I want Nelson. Would be good with Smith or Edmunds or Chubb (obviously). Don't really want to go secondary. I'd be fine with trading down if Nelson isn't there as well.

Its already questionable to take Nelson at 8, to move up to get a guard is madness. I could see moving up to try to get Chubb

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
So our GM creates a hole that didn't exist and then is going to use our top 10 first round pick to fix hole

A top 10 pick for guard is already questionable. Trading more picks to move up to ensure you get him is absurd

Wonderful GM we have

Cant wait until he hypes up Kevin White again
Who do you want at #8?

Reactions: RayP

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I don't think it's questionable to take Nelson at all at 8, if he's the generational type of player that everyone seems to be suggesting.
Eh it is questionable to take a guard that high. Not saying it's the wrong thing to do but it's not a slam dunk.

Another thing to remember is that while Nelson is an amazing prospect, some of the last amazing guard prospects haven't turned out to be elite NFL players.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Eh it is questionable to take a guard that high. Not saying it's the wrong thing to do but it's not a slam dunk.

Another thing to remember is that while Nelson is an amazing prospect, some of the last amazing guard prospects haven't turned out to be elite NFL players.

And that shouldn't play any role in this decision at all. Should a team be less likely to take Chubb because Thomas didn't look good last year?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I don't think it's questionable to take Nelson at all at 8, if he's the generational type of player that everyone seems to be suggesting.

A generationally great guard is still probably the 10th most important person on a teams offense being only more important than the other not as good guard.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
A generationally great guard is still probably the 10th most important person on a teams offense being only more important than the other not as good guard.

I understand what you are saying about the value of a guard, compared to other positions. But I'd argue that Nelson would be the player in this draft most likely to be the best player at is position during his career. I'll take that guy in a heartbeat.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Hoping for a trade back to 12, a trade back to 15 would scare me a little bit but could still probably get someone like Marcus Davenport. I think the Bears will end up taking Denzel Ward or Quentin Nelson if he's there.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I've been on record saying I'd much rather the Bears just move Whitehair to guard and draft a Center later on. Team needs impact players. Obviously Barkley is my dream pick (trade Howard for whatever high asset you can get, but all of this is unlikely) but guys like Chubb (unlikely too), Davenport, Fitzpatrick, James, Ward, Smith/Edmunds, etc would be great gets.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I understand what you are saying about the value of a guard, compared to other positions. But I'd argue that Nelson would be the player in this draft most likely to be the best player at is position during his career. I'll take that guy in a heartbeat.

I get that but could you see a scenario where the Bears are on the podium getting the Lombardi award and they had the MVP trophy to Quentin Nelson? Because thats the kind of player you are trying to get with a top 10 pick. I get he has a super high floor but his ceiling is limited by where he plays on the field.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I get that but could you see a scenario where the Bears are on the podium getting the Lombardi award and they had the MVP trophy to Quentin Nelson? Because thats the kind of player you are trying to get with a top 10 pick. I get he has a super high floor but his ceiling is limited by where he plays on the field.

The trophy this year was handed to Nick Foles, anything is possible, lol.

We understand each others arguments, but just come down on the other side of it. Fair enough.

Reactions: Illinihockey

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Who do you want at #8?

LB Tremaine Edmunds
CB Denzel Ward

If Bears trade down into teen's some other options include

LB Marcus Davenport (Would be OLB in Bears 3-4 , DE in a 4-3 setup)
CB Mike Hughes
WR Cavlin Ridley (If Bears trade into mid/late teens and he falls the value would be fine to select him in that spot)

Last edited:

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
LB Tremaine Edmunds
CB Denzel Ward

If Bears trade down into teen's some other options include

LB Marcus Davenport (Would be OLB in Bears 3-4 , DE in a 4-3 setup)
CB Mike Hughes
WR Cavlin Ridley (If Bears trade into mid/late teens and he falls the value would be fine to select him in that spot)
Gotcha, and who do you definitely NOT want?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Derwin James
T Mike McGlinchey
TE Hayden Hurst

I don't want those 3 guys anywhere around Bears no matter when they pick

Even if they traded down into 20's for some reason

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Noted mock drafts