Bears and NFL Talk Thread LI: Bears don't win again

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The NFL has a whole seems to have gotten pretty good about drafting RBs high the past few years.

1st round picks
Fournette and McCaffrey (he's only been so-so) this year
Elliot last year
Gurley and Gordon in 2015

That's not to say you can't get good ones later because you obviously can, but the league has been much more selective about drafting them high.
I have no problem picking RBs high, especially special talents like Fournette or Barkley ... but the alternative is getting a king's ransom for our high 1st round pick. I take the latter considering we have our QB.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have no problem picking RBs high, especially special talents like Fournette or Barkley ... but the alternative is getting a king's ransom for our high 1st round pick. I take the latter considering we have our QB.

No question. I wasn't suggesting the Bears take a RB at all. I'd argue they are in good shape there. I was just talking about the trend of drafting RBs high in general. For a long time RBs were a staple near the top of the draft and consequently there where a lot of busts. Then teams really backed off taking RBs high with no RBs in the 1st round 13 or 14 and now they are trying to be really selective about drafting someone high, which makes sense given the ability to find talent in later rounds.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Are you kidding me? Absolutely "NO!" to drafting a WR in the first round. In case you haven't noticed, the BEars have a knack for drafting busts for that position in that round, since hmmmmm, after Curtis Conway. Incredibly, how many didn't want to pay 14 mil to keep Jeffreys (a 2nd-rounder) citing injuries, yet the WRs counted on to stay healthy went down so fast. It's karma for being stupidly cheap.

Fix the freaking OT positions, yes, both of them. Oh wait, they haven't had much "luck" drafting for that position in the first round either.

Bears have not had much luck drafting, period. Doesn't mean you stop trying with different decision makers. You can find quality WR's out there rounds 2 through 5 typically every draft. Bears need best player at so many positions next year, no reason to be reaching for certain positions.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bears have not had much luck drafting, period. Doesn't mean you stop trying with different decision makers. You can find quality WR's out there rounds 2 through 5 typically every draft. Bears need best player at so many positions next year, no reason to be reaching for certain positions.
Fuller's resurgence is huge. If he can keep it going, we can give him a decent sized extension with the cap space we have available. Amos and Jackson's emergence at safety helps too. I believe Cooper's signed for another year. You can get rid of Demps and Prince and save cap space.

You can always use more help on DL. LB is definitely a need. Freeman is gone, but Kwik, Jones, Floyd, Trevathan, and Young (cheap w/guaranteed money) are keepers. McPhee will be cut.

As for offense, WR is a BIG need. TE okay. You'll need a veteran QB backup for Trubisky. Kaepernick? He plays a similar style to Trubisky. Hopefully, the anthem controversy dies down by next year. Like DL, the Bears can always use OL help. RB is good.

Re sign O'Donnell and you can always find a K in FA.

So the Bears need help in this order in the draft:
1. WR
2. LB
3. CB
4. OL
5. DL
6. QB
7. RB
8. TE
9. K/P

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Fuller's resurgence is huge. If he can keep it going, we can give him a decent sized extension with the cap space we have available. Amos and Jackson's emergence at safety helps too. I believe Cooper's signed for another year. You can get rid of Demps and Prince and save cap space.

Fuller has been great this year but the Bears didn't pick up his option, understandably, and will be a UFA after this year. If he keeps playing like this, I hope they can keep him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Fuller has been great this year but the Bears didn't pick up his option, understandably, and will be a UFA after this year. If he keeps playing like this, I hope they can keep him.
He's played well but I doubt someone is going to give a monster deal for Fuller. Prince got $7mn this year (and he's been an oft injured CB coming off a good year at Jax). I suspect $12-13mn guaranteed money over 3 years will be the ceiling for Fuller with his injury history.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
He's played well but I doubt someone is going to give a monster deal for Fuller. Prince got $7mn this year (and he's been an oft injured CB coming off a good year at Jax). I suspect $12-13mn guaranteed money over 3 years will be the ceiling for Fuller with his injury history.

I don't expect him to break the bank, but I wonder if he wants to go somewhere else, all things being equal. It hasn't exactly been the smoothest of rides for him here.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't expect him to break the bank, but I wonder if he wants to go somewhere else, all things being equal. It hasn't exactly been the smoothest of rides for him here.
He's a Baltimore kid. I suspect the other places would be Washington, Baltimore, or Charlotte. He also has two other brothers playing in the NFL. Allegedly, Fangio and Fuller have become close ... and Fangio was Fuller's biggest cheerleader in the summer. Who knows if Fangio sticks around though. I believe he's a FA too.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why?

His D is worst in NFL at creating turnovers and he is misusing our best pass rushing asset

Its fine he has Bears D playing respectable after the dismal Mel Tucker years but lets not act like this is some great unit. Infact in his NFL career only his time in SF did he had a notable defense league wide

His career is rather mediocre outside of his time in SF

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
holy batman BWC. Fangio is the best that happened in the last few years. Thats the only respectable part of the roster and considering all the injuries he has done a great Job Overall.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Only BWC could call what many NFL people call one of the best defensive minds in football mediocre

Reactions: RayP

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
John Fox is spoken highly of around NFL circles as well. I guess your saying we should extend him? Also that top 10 list has Gregg Williams on it ,, LOL really

Hell Jimmy Johnson said Marc Trestman was amazing hire and would do wonders for Bears ,, I guess we should bring back Marc to fulfill his destiny

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Looking today at dumpster fire that is Browns organization and its passing on Wentz looking like mistake

I decided to glance at Browns history since rejoining league and my god is it worse then I thought

1999 = 2-14
2000 = 3-13
2001 = 7-9
2002 = 9-7
2003 = 5-11
2004 = 4-12
2005 = 6-10
2006 = 4-12
2007 = 10-6
2008 = 4-12
2009 = 5-11
2010 = 5-11
2011 = 4-12
2012 = 5-11
2013 = 4-12
2014 = 7-9
2015 = 3-13
2016 = 1-15
2017 = 0-6

Went to playoffs one year (2002) and finished above .500 one other year but missed playoffs (2007)

I honestly thought they had a few more 7-9 type years then they actually did

Its been nearly 15 years since they were in playoffs and the starting QB for that game was Kelly Holcomb who has been out of NFL since 2008. And they still had Tim Couch on roster the first failed 1st round QB pick of new Browns

Since then they have drafted three different busts in 1st round at QB (Brady Quinn in 2007 , Weeden in 2012 and Manziel in 2014) and now Kizer (2017 2nd rounder) looks to have played himself out of "future of organization" as they will surely use #1 or #2 pick in draft on QB

Reactions: TorMenT

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
You have to wonder if heads will roll in Cleveland. There were rumors that the owner wanted Trubisky in the worst way, and that they were caught with their pants down when the Bears traded up and selected him. And now Trubisky's stock seems to be way higher than it was at the draft - combined with Kizer disappointing. Hehe....

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Why?

His D is worst in NFL at creating turnovers and he is misusing our best pass rushing asset

Its fine he has Bears D playing respectable after the dismal Mel Tucker years but lets not act like this is some great unit. Infact in his NFL career only his time in SF did he had a notable defense league wide

His career is rather mediocre outside of his time in SF

Do you not see what he's been able to squeeze out of it. #1 It's seriously lacking in the talent department, #2 the defense has been slammed with injuries and some how he has been able to keep the Bears in it, close games. Linebackers .... who's left???? #3 the offense needs to keep the D off the field a little better.

It's not some great unit because the guys currently on the roster are average at best. Now go out and and get him a couple game changers on D and you will have a great unit with the coach. Personally I would HC him so they don't lose him but that's me. Fox is trash.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You have to wonder if heads will roll in Cleveland. There were rumors that the owner wanted Trubisky in the worst way, and that they were caught with their pants down when the Bears traded up and selected him. And now Trubisky's stock seems to be way higher than it was at the draft - combined with Kizer disappointing. Hehe....

I have yet to see one confirmed report that anyone outside the Bears were interested in trading up for Trubisky. It's possible but I don't buy it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I have yet to see one confirmed report that anyone outside the Bears were interested in trading up for Trubisky. It's possible but I don't buy it.

This has been gone over numerous times here, with myself and others including links to it, IIRC. If you choose to simply believe the SF draft room reporting then that's on you, but I'm about 99% positive we've already gone over the fact that other teams were interested in trading up for Trubisky, and people included links for you to read.

Reactions: RayP

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The heads that need to role in Cleveland are the Haslams and their crook of a family. They should all be in jail. Fortunately for them, they made a plea deal. Remember, this is the same owner who said a hobo at a convenient store convinced him to pick Johnny Manziel. The fish rots from the head down.

The fact they passed up on Wentz, Prescott, Trubisky, and Watson the last 2 years for Kessler and Kizer is criminal. Now Darnold will probably not even declare after a so so season ... hence it's between Rosen and Allen for the first pick in the draft next year. Rudolph, Falk, Mayfield, and Jackson are not first rounders. What a disaster.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
This has been gone over numerous times here, with myself and others including links to it, IIRC. If you choose to simply believe the SF draft room reporting then that's on you, but I'm about 99% positive we've already gone over the fact that other teams were interested in trading up for Trubisky, and people included links for you to read.

Yah and I've read them all. Nothing sold me on another team leap frogging the Bears to grab Mitch. Also, I don't know why he is being used as proof of the Browns screwing up again. He has not done enough yet to be considered a miss by other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->