Bears and NFL Talk Thread LI: Bears don't win again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Fox’s past jobs didn’t have issues like this it seems like. It is starting to look like this is just a quick money grab before retirement. It is whatever at this point. I just hope Pace can find the right coach for the team.

Jim H with Fangio staying seems ideal.

I'll pass on Harbaugh. He's arguably the most annoying person on the planet and his Michigan team is less than stellar.

Remember
Yep, two victories was all he needed. They’ll probably sign him to an extension as well.

He's won 5 of his last 22 games. That would get any NFL coach fired.

We can talk Bears all day long but...that Baltimore team is dreadful and Flacco is garbage.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Speaking of coaches who need to be fired

The Hue Jackson hype has never made sense to me and he is now 1-21 as HC of Browns

Are Browns a dumpster fire? Mostly but they are poorly coached and have blown games they should have won due to coaching thru Jackson era

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

The Hue Jackson hype has never made sense to me and he is now 1-21 as HC of Browns

Are Browns a dumpster fire? Mostly but they are poorly coached and have blown games they should have won due to coaching thru Jackson era
The alleged QB guru passed on Wentz, Prescott, Trubisky, and Watson for Kessler, Kizer, and RGIII. He's TERRIBLE.

That being said, Jackson looks and sounds so demoralized. I feel bad for him. His GMs haven't helped.

Last edited:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

I think a lot of guys are hyped:

- Fangio - everyone loves to praise him - why has he never sniffed a head coaching job?

- Matt Patricia - that defense is garbage and they coulda shoulda lost that game yesterday but thanks to one of the worst calls in recent memory.

- Tomlin - everyone loves the rah rah, but on a team that's had Ryan Clark, James Harrison, Ike Taylor, Brett Kreisl and Polamalu and then you add Big Ben, Bryant, AB, Leveon Bell, Sanders, Pouncey - and playing in a weak division. His SB win was really with Cowher's team.

But THE guy is Marvin Lewis. One of the longest tenured coaches in the league and what is he? 0-8 in the playoffs?

But people talk about Jim Harbaugh. I think they are talking about the wrong brother. Good chance his brother gets whacked after this season...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think a lot of guys are hyped:

- Fangio - everyone loves to praise him - why has he never sniffed a head coaching job?

- Matt Patricia - that defense is garbage and they coulda shoulda lost that game yesterday but thanks to one of the worst calls in recent memory.

- Tomlin - everyone loves the rah rah, but on a team that's had Ryan Clark, James Harrison, Ike Taylor, Brett Kreisl and Polamalu and then you add Big Ben, Bryant, AB, Leveon Bell, Sanders, Pouncey - and playing in a weak division. His SB win was really with Cowher's team.

But THE guy is Marvin Lewis. One of the longest tenured coaches in the league and what is he? 0-8 in the playoffs?

But people talk about Jim Harbaugh. I think they are talking about the wrong brother. Good chance his brother gets whacked after this season...

Didn’t think about John H. I would be ok with that.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Jim Harbaugh has ties to the Bears and is well liked, if he wants to leave Michigan and can work with Pace it should boost the Bears big time. Another plus would be he worked with Fangio before and I'd rather Keep Fangio than lose him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If Trubisky shows real promise, they will be a line out Halas Hall wanting to coach the Bears. I think John Harbaugh is tied to Ozzie Newsome. As long as he's there, John survives for at least another year.

If Jim Harbaugh is interested in the Bears job, I can easily see the Bears waiting one more year for him. I don't think Harbaugh leaves Michigan after 3 years. That would mean Fox finishes his contract. However, because Fangio's contract expires this year, there's no guarantee he comes back.

Jim Bob Cooter will be a candidate with the work he's done with Stafford.

Josh McDumuels. Is it Brady or does he know what he's doing?

One thing is certain: The Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay coaching tree from Washington know what they are doing. Both Kyle and Sean are great offensive minds. Most recently, Kyle helped make RG3, Kirk Cousins, Brian Hoyer (in CLE), and Matt Ryan. McVay helped with RG3, Cousins, and now Goff. The new OC for the Rams is Matt LaFleur. He was QB coach for both. MATT LAFLEUR mentored RG3, Cousins, Ryan, and now Goff. He also coached at Notre Dame which gives him Midwest ties. This might be the guy ... MATT LAFLEUR.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Question: if Saquan Barkley was available when the Bears selected, even with the talent they have at RB, would you want to select him? My buddy says if hes there you have to take him, I say that with so many holes to fill, can't afford to pick a position thats stable.

Also: Kyle Fuller received a PFF grade of almost 90 against the Ravens, more of that, please

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
With Howard and Cohen being that Young, healthy and productiv you don't take a RB early. Bears Need Pass Rush, Secondary, OL and WRs more than anything

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Howard is young and Bears need help in so many other areas besides RB

I hate the whole 'take best player available' thing. It's a cliche people repeat because they've heard it so often but it's not accurate. There are tons of examples of teams not taking the best player. People draft for need all the time.

The Kevin White debacle. Bears trade Marshall which creates a big hole. Instead of drafting a QB or pass rusher, they draft what? A WR to fill that hole

Bears need a difference maker on D - whether it be a pass rusher, LB or DB

But clearly they need an WR or 10, a right tackle and depending on what's up with Grasu, a center so Whitehair can go back to guard

Oh and definitely like the Jim Bob Cooter angle.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Are you kidding me? Absolutely "NO!" to drafting a WR in the first round. In case you haven't noticed, the BEars have a knack for drafting busts for that position in that round, since hmmmmm, after Curtis Conway. Incredibly, how many didn't want to pay 14 mil to keep Jeffreys (a 2nd-rounder) citing injuries, yet the WRs counted on to stay healthy went down so fast. It's karma for being stupidly cheap.

Fix the freaking OT positions, yes, both of them. Oh wait, they haven't had much "luck" drafting for that position in the first round either.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Howard is young and Bears need help in so many other areas besides RB

I hate the whole 'take best player available' thing. It's a cliche people repeat because they've heard it so often but it's not accurate. There are tons of examples of teams not taking the best player. People draft for need all the time.

The Kevin White debacle. Bears trade Marshall which creates a big hole. Instead of drafting a QB or pass rusher, they draft what? A WR to fill that hole

Bears need a difference maker on D - whether it be a pass rusher, LB or DB

But clearly they need an WR or 10, a right tackle and depending on what's up with Grasu, a center so Whitehair can go back to guard

Oh and definitely like the Jim Bob Cooter angle.
It's probably best the Bears trade down and get a king's ransom for Barkley or any of the QBs other teams want to draft. Unfortunately, Darnold is probably staying another year (BTW - Darnold hasn't looked good ... Cutler like). Rosen and Allen are the only guaranteed first rounders at QB. Rudolph and Jackson have serious question. Falk and Mayfield's arms are not strong enough.

I will say this ... Barkley is the closest thing I've seen to Barry Sanders in a decade. However, it's still a gamble taking a RB so high. He's probably the closest thing to a sure thing that college football has. That's the dilemma.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I will say this ... Barkley is the closest thing I've seen to Barry Sanders in a decade. However, it's still a gamble taking a RB so high. He's probably the closest thing to a sure thing that college football has. That's the dilemma.

The NFL has a whole seems to have gotten pretty good about drafting RBs high the past few years.

1st round picks
Fournette and McCaffrey (he's only been so-so) this year
Elliot last year
Gurley and Gordon in 2015

That's not to say you can't get good ones later because you obviously can, but the league has been much more selective about drafting them high.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Are you kidding me? Absolutely "NO!" to drafting a WR in the first round. In case you haven't noticed, the BEars have a knack for drafting busts for that position in that round, since hmmmmm, after Curtis Conway. Incredibly, how many didn't want to pay 14 mil to keep Jeffreys (a 2nd-rounder) citing injuries, yet the WRs counted on to stay healthy went down so fast. It's karma for being stupidly cheap.

Fix the freaking OT positions, yes, both of them. Oh wait, they haven't had much "luck" drafting for that position in the first round either.

Past results are not predictive of future success. The Bears need a wide receiver, if one is there that they like in the first round, they should take him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Bears will need to draft a WR or 2 for sure, but I'd also love to see another playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. The defense is solid, but is still missing the game changers to make it really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad