Be in shape

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
You've had all summer, and theres very, very little you can do now. There are no quick fixes.

How old are you? It seems like you must be in your mid-teens if you are 6 feet, but 135 is pretty lean. Make sure to eat plenty of protein and work out several times a week during the season. Have you attempted to get bigger and gain muscle before?

You really need some kind of plan, not a quick miracle. Give us some more info so we can try to help you out.

Verbal Kint*

One week?

Pretty much nothing. Try and hit the ice before hand so you're used to being on your skates, that's about all you can do.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Squats, behind neck barbell presses, protein. I like to keep things simple. You won't make any major gains in a week, though.

In your case, you're boned. Just get some ice time before your season starts (if possible), and get back into the skating 'groove', so to speak.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
6'0 and only 135...you must be a rail.

Eat Mc Ds 3 times a day for a week...thats about all you can do and hope you put on another 10 pounds at least.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
In one week , I'll start to play ice hockey .

Are you in a league? If so, have you played in one before? I'm sure you'll have practices and you'll have a chance to build up your cardio. It wouldn't hurt to start riding a stationary bike. Make sure you start drinking plenty of water and eating more carbohydrates -- I think you can burn off more than a pound each game and you seem like you could use all the extra weight you can put on (no offense).

I might have some useful links for you tomorrow (on another computer).

Last edited:

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
I'm 16 year old and i'm playing hockey since i'm 5 year old . Yes I'm in a league and I have do musculation before .

I just want at the best of I can with one week , not miracle ^^ .

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I'm really not in shape and I wanna be .

Please explain.

1. Are you a slow skater?
2. Do you get tired quickly?
3. Do you need to get stronger?

Anyway, you weigh very little for your height (I weigh too much for my height -- 5ft 5, 205 lbs :D ). Best thing IMO is for you to eat a lot more -- IMO you'll have an easier time building muscle later on. Also, fat is good padding for when you fall down. :)

1. If possible try to eat 5 meals a day (Breakfast, lunch, dinner + 2 in between). Don't forget the bowl of ice cream right before bed (6th meal).
2. Drink whole milk, and make sure you've got cheese, sour cream, mayonaise or whipped cream on everything you put in your mouth. Eat your pasta with cream sauce (alfredo, stroganoff). Fat's got more calories per gram than carbohydrates do. (I think) A Whopper with cheese has more calories than a Big Mac -- there's more mayo on a Whopper.
3. Eat whole grains and avoid white (Wonder) bread. I know you're trying to put on weight but whole grains are a much more reliable source of energy. White bread is full of sugar -- it will give you an instant burst of energy but after that's gone you'll have nothing left in the tank. Slice of whole wheat bread = Energizer battery.
4. Avoid soda and sweets when possible. See #3. Drink TONS of water.

STRETCH!! You can't grow muscles in a week, but it's important that the ones you have stay flexible.
RUN!! After a week of jogging you might see some improvement in your stamina. Each day try to run a little farther.

For when you do start weight training I found some good exercises on this site:
http://www.chap.com/sp-hock-c.htm

Hope that was helpful.

CofRed

Jul 28, 2005
To get in shape quickly (although you may need more than a week), try doing some sprints.

Go to your local park or track or parking lot and do sets of sprints of say 50-75 metres. Jog or walk in between your sets and you will build up some stamina fairly quickly. Interval training is the quickest way to get in shape.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
Please explain.

1. Are you a slow skater?
2. Do you get tired quickly?
3. Do you need to get stronger?

Anyway, you weigh very little for your height (I weigh too much for my height -- 5ft 5, 205 lbs :D ). Best thing IMO is for you to eat a lot more -- IMO you'll have an easier time building muscle later on. Also, fat is good padding for when you fall down. :)

1. If possible try to eat 5 meals a day (Breakfast, lunch, dinner + 2 in between). Don't forget the bowl of ice cream right before bed (6th meal).
2. Drink whole milk, and make sure you've got cheese, sour cream, mayonaise or whipped cream on everything you put in your mouth. Eat your pasta with cream sauce (alfredo, stroganoff). Fat's got more calories per gram than carbohydrates do. (I think) A Whopper with cheese has more calories than a Big Mac -- there's more mayo on a Whopper.
3. Eat whole grains and avoid white (Wonder) bread. I know you're trying to put on weight but whole grains are a much more reliable source of energy. White bread is full of sugar -- it will give you an instant burst of energy but after that's gone you'll have nothing left in the tank. Slice of whole wheat bread = Energizer battery.
4. Avoid soda and sweets when possible. See #3. Drink TONS of water.

STRETCH!! You can't grow muscles in a week, but it's important that the ones you have stay flexible.
RUN!! After a week of jogging you might see some improvement in your stamina. Each day try to run a little farther.

For when you do start weight training I found some good exercises on this site:
http://www.chap.com/sp-hock-c.htm

Hope that was helpful.

wow thanks man !! i'll follow what ur saying .. :clap:

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
6'0 and only 135...you must be a rail.

Eat Mc Ds 3 times a day for a week...thats about all you can do and hope you put on another 10 pounds at least.

might be surprised about some of these 'rails' when your on the ice.. not all of them play the way they look..

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
might be surprised about some of these 'rails' when your on the ice.. not all of them play the way they look..

Of course not, but I was 6'1 180 at his age and if I ran into someone his weight who I could skate as well as I obliterated them. I have the benifit of a very broad frame however so putting on muscle was always easy for me.

Sure, a friend of mine is 5'11 195 and hits like a freight train, but that's because he skates so well and knows how to use his weight. You have a valid point however, never underestimate anybody on the ice because doing so will get you planted on your butt fast.

I'm assuming however his lack of muscle mass in an issue for him.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
agreed, shouldnt underestimate anyone you dont know how good anyone is (lookin at skinny gretzky when he was a youngin),and some guys are skinny but have tons of muscle it just doesnt show it so some times if you put some muscle into them you might be surprised what happens ;)

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
There are good fats and bad fats. The fats you ingest are going to also slow blood flow through capillaries, reduce available blood sugar and oxygen delivery to your cells. Not ideal....There is no point in adding weight in fats that you will have problems with later. It is a myth that this weight will transform into muscle later. IT WONT.

You can increase your caloric intake but do try to keep to a general rule of thumb. 60% carbs/20 protien/20% fats. IF your trying to add weight or lifting weights increase protiens slightly to build with. Keep your fats at or below 20% of your daily caloric intake.

Aerobic conditioning will be what you will want to target for teh short term. You cant make great strides in just a week but it cant hurt. Over indulge in fats and you will tank! dont sabatoge yourself.....

donelikedinner

Jan 25, 2003
In a house
Visit site
In one week , I'll start to play ice hockey . I'm really not in shape and I wanna be . I'm 6'0 135lb . Some training to put weight can't be worst too ^^

Anyone know how to be in shape , fast ?

all you can reasonably do is work on your cardio and eat a balanced diet. if you eat too many carbs you'll gain water weight that will slow you down until you sweat it out.

if you experience any chest pain or serious muscle pain, stop immediately and get to a doctor.

Smell The Glove

Sep 4, 2006
South Florida
In one week , I'll start to play ice hockey . I'm really not in shape and I wanna be . I'm 6'0 135lb . Some training to put weight can't be worst too ^^

Anyone know how to be in shape , fast ?
What position do you play? 135 is a little underweight but not too bad unless you're a defenseman. I'm a smaller guy myself (6'0, 140). If I were you, I'd just lift some weights and maybe put on 10-20 pounds during the course of the season. Thats what I usually do before the season starts.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
When I need to gain weight fast I do it by starting off my day with chocolate donuts and cigarettes, the breakfast of champions.

2x4*

I am 17 , 6'2" and 186 pounds. Playing Roller Hockey over the summer plus alot of swimming lost me about 9 pounds. Hardly noticeable though, size wise, although when I look at my self, I am more defined. I also find it much easier to play again. Good thing for me is, since I want to get back into hockey, and hopefully join a college team (club, Intercolligate w/e just play hockey! ) I have nearly 1 year to train, and practice ( I am able to hit the ice 6 times a week if I had the money and time ) I am pretty sure that in 1 year I can get back to where I was when I stopped playing 3 years ago skill wise, and hopefully just be alot more fit to play harder longer.

ANYWAY nothing will happen in 1 week. It took me nearly 3 months to drop those pounds and see any results. Just keep working out and stuff into the season, do extra at practice and push your self. Workout at home, and I am sure at the end of the season, you will be in super shape to start the next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->