Be a Pro Mode

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
All that get me is an interference penalty. Any other suggestions? It also doesn't help that EA Sports (in their usual frustrating way) do not provide any information as to even which buttons to use! They just say 'go do this' and don't tell you how!!!

Hmm...if you press and hold "x" you tie his stick up instead of just lifting it. Tried that?

Can't get a penalty from it.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Ok, I'm still totally frustrated with this. I'm now into my first pro season and have NEVER managed to get this, even once. An example:
Just played a game against Pittsburgh. I know the centres I would be up against would be Crosby and Malkin. One shift, the defensemen (as usual) leave the slot completely empty. Crosby is there. I stick lift him once...no play. I stick lift him twice...no play. I stick lift him a third time, pass comes towards him, gets blocked, I grab the loose puck and clear the zone. It THAT isn't covering the open man, then wft is??? Can SOMEONE explain how I'm supposed to get this stupid focus??? Is it just glitched for me? I get plenty of 'cover for defense' but never 'cover the open man'. It's past being annoying, but I can't bring myself to delete the focus, cause I'll never know if I ever DO it!

I got this today by shoving the opponent with the green circle below him away from the slot with the left stick (PS4). Will need to put the on-ice trainer on to see the circle though.

Gave up on trying to play this on Superstar or All-Star and changed to Pro cause I just find it way more fun and just challenging enough. Scores and shots on goal per game are fairly realistic most of the time too.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Is anyone else able to get A's on Defense and Team Play using 10-minute periods?

The most I can ever get is B's, so it feels like there's a bug where the coach thinks you're playing 20-minute periods.

Defense and Team Play largely depend on you doing your job over time, so it seems you only get "half way" to an A with 10-minute periods since you always start at C.

Offense is different since it's more dependent on points scored.

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal

Even then, it makes little to no sense. I get that I'm a 97 overall sniper, but why do I need to get 2 goals, 2 assists or 5 assists in a game to get A+ ?

Is that the benchmark for a 97 ? Because Connor McDavid's a goddamn 94 overall and he still hasn't broken the 60 pts mark up to my 6th season. Stupid game.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
The update has seemingly fixed the Human's teammates, along with attribute affects appear to be increased. I've only played one game, but here's what I noticed that we saw little to nothing of, the past 6 months.

-Twice a teammate defender pinched and wrapped the puck around the boards behind the net to keep it in.
-Was able to cycle the puck behind the net 4 consecutive passes on a shift without my teammate losing it or getting ran over.
-One time my teammate passed from the left wall at own blueline to far blueline at right wall to another CPU teammate. It was a crisp, hard, accurate pass.
-Poke checking and stick lifting seemed to be a bit more common by my teammates.
-Teammates hitting a lot now.
-I scored a beautiful rebound goal. Defender took a one time slapper from the point, I came out behind the right side of the net, grabbed the rebound and put it over the goalies pad under the blocker.

Game Stats: (Key attributes, aggressiveness at 65, CPU penalties at 55, mine at 52)
Lost 4-1. (I'm on a bad WHL team anyways). 3 of their 4 goals were when I WASN'T on the ice. 24 shots for them, 23 for me. We had 5 shots the last minute going all out. 24 hits for us, 21 for them. Each team had 3 PPs. Almost identical time on attack.

Don't get me wrong, there's still some frustrating things like the other lines not registering a lot of shots, and the CPU still reads your passes too easily, but it felt improved. I was impressed with how this game played on All-Star. Yes I lost bad but I was only on the ice for 2 out of the 5 combined goals, and I got a couple nice chances to tip pucks and grab rebounds. My teammates FINALLY played like the opposition, and weren't morons out there.

Game 2 update. Passed the puck from the mid slot, called for defender to shoot it, he shoots low off the pad while I'm screening the goalie and my linemate chips in a rebound goal. Very nice/realistic play. One I hadn't seen go my way a whole lot in the past.

Last edited:

Jwill503

Mar 21, 2017

I started as a 16 yr old playmaking center for the Portland Winterhawks... First year played about 20 games summed the rest..(didn't know about the Sim penalty setting.. but I guess it doesn't work..) 62 goals 59 assists.. 197 hits.. wondering the championship and the cup.. won every single award I could of... Second year.. 72 goals 62 assists 200 hits.. lost in the finals game six... Led the league in awards again.. drafted #1 overall.. played well enough in preseason.. they stuck me on the third line.. 8 games in I have 6 goals and 5 assists.. they just moved me to second line.. haven't summed any pro games..

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Similar

I started as a 16 yr old playmaking center for the Portland Winterhawks... First year played about 20 games summed the rest..(didn't know about the Sim penalty setting.. but I guess it doesn't work..) 62 goals 59 assists.. 197 hits.. wondering the championship and the cup.. won every single award I could of... Second year.. 72 goals 62 assists 200 hits.. lost in the finals game six... Led the league in awards again.. drafted #1 overall.. played well enough in preseason.. they stuck me on the third line.. 8 games in I have 6 goals and 5 assists.. they just moved me to second line.. haven't summed any pro games..

Very similar situation to mine, if you go back and read some of my posts. I am now up to the first line, but it's still a tough grind...

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Agreed

Is anyone else able to get A's on Defense and Team Play using 10-minute periods?

The most I can ever get is B's, so it feels like there's a bug where the coach thinks you're playing 20-minute periods.

Defense and Team Play largely depend on you doing your job over time, so it seems you only get "half way" to an A with 10-minute periods since you always start at C.

As mentioned in previous posts, I have played at least 400 games (both in full, and restarts, and partial restarts) and have only managed to get A- on defense 2 or 3 times. Once got me the 'Straight A's' trophy, but I've never managed to get that again...in ALL those games. The problem is that I always seem to be on the ice when a cheap goal (or ANY goal) is scored, which smashes your defense rating. As I have said before, ANY goal that the other team scores (even if it's by someone that I shouldn't have needed to cover, OR the goalie knocks it into his own net, OR it's put in by his own guy) is blamed on me, which is bullsh!t. Again, if my team SCORES while I am on the ice (+1 for me) but I don't get an assist on it, I get a lousy +10 points, which is barely a bump to my offense rating. Even if I make a great play to create a turnover and start the cycle, which leads to a goal, I never get credit for it. Just a lousy +10. EA Sports just sets you up to fail.

Forgot Team Play: Hitting is the easiest way to bring up team play (if you are not a centre, when faceoffs are the easiest) though the computer decides when it wants to give you a penalty for a hit instead of a reward (most of the time there is NO consistency).

Also, are you playing straight time periods? Even though I am the first line centre, about 90% of games I am given the LEAST ice time on the ENTIRE TEAM! Even so, I usually get about 14 mins of ice time, which seems to get my stats close to where they need to be. It's still ridiculous that I'm getting less ice time than the fourth liners!

Last edited:

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Agreed

Even then, it makes little to no sense. I get that I'm a 97 overall sniper, but why do I need to get 2 goals, 2 assists or 5 assists in a game to get A+ ?

Is that the benchmark for a 97 ? Because Connor McDavid's a goddamn 94 overall and he still hasn't broken the 60 pts mark up to my 6th season. Stupid game.

I agree fully (and have been saying it since the NHL 16) that it's ridiculous to have to score multiple points in EVERY game to get their targets. The only thing I have worked out is that deflections are very helpful to bump up your Offensive rating, but you need lots of them at +50pts each time. Just stand in front of the net and hold the L2 button for 'vision control' and you should get a deflection once in a while...MAYBE even a goal or two. It's satisfying when it works, but it doesn't work nearly as often as it should, with the lightning quick reflexes of every goalie in the game. Hope this helps...

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Would be really cool if you could play be a pro together with a friend, at least in juniors - since you after that might be drafted by different teams.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
*11 games since update. I recently praised EA for their updates. 4 games in. Last 7, same old ****. Really bugs me. Seems EVERYTHING that went right after the update, is back to not working. Dumb teammates, you name it. Even if I tweak the sliders. It's like after a couple games they reset back to how they were BEFORE the update.

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Amazing

I still find it amazing at how this game makes it so UN-fun for the player. After at least 400 games played, I have still not gotten the 'Dish Master' trophy. I have had many 3 assist games, but never 4. Latest game:
On the first shift of the 2nd period, I got my third assist. Score at that time: VAN 4 LA 1. I had one goal and 3 assists about 30 seconds into the 2nd. I thought 'ok, have pretty much 2 full periods to get ONE assist'. What happens? LA scores 3 goals in the 2nd on about 6 shots (amazingly, none with me on the ice) to make it a 4-4 game. Can't even let me enjoy a lead for a while.
3rd period I set up about 3-4 beautiful cross crease passes that should have been easy tip ins, but instead the moron teammates miss the net, or the goalie (Quick) makes a highlight reel save.
Finally, game goes to overtime. No score. Game goes to shootout. We lose in the shootout. Basically should have quit after my first shift of the 2nd period and saved myself another ten minutes of misery.
Thanks EA Sports.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
LW Kyle Duquette
Playmaker
Kitchener Rangers
6'2" 195lbs
------------------
Settings:
20 minute periods
Superstar

First 5 Games:

rapierdwit

Apr 8, 2017

The way i was able to do this was my second year in the whl, I was in the high 80s ratings wise. Since I was 20 pts more than the rest of the players, the ai simmed me pretty well. I let the game SIM the first two periods then interrupted. It would usually have me with A across the board. Play the last period as normal, as long as I played well, I wouldn't blow the A ratings enough to pull the scores below a A overall.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
So here's a few concerns I have before I start my be a pro career in the OHL as a 15-year old, so I'll be eligible for the 2019 NHL draft. So how fast and how much does your guy and your teammates improve, assuming I play a good amount of games? What can I expect my guy to be rated by the time he hits the NHL in 2019-2020 and what are the chances I go #1 overall? Also I was thinking about creating some teammates to help my guy improve maybe a nice goal-scoring winger and making them the same age. But I was thinking that I don't want my teammates to develop better and get drafted before my guy. Another way Im thinking to avoid this is to make my teammates 2020 eligible instead of 2019. Idk yet was hoping maybe somebody could answer some of these ??? I have. Another note I really wish they would get around to adding the world junior and Olympics/World Cup to BAP.

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
I scored almost 250 pts in my only OHL season and jumped from a 61 ovr to an 82. I still got drafted 8th overall because I got bored come playoff time and simmed a few games.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
I'm getting such an itch to play as a d-man again. The problem is, last time when I finally made the 1st pairing, they gave me 35-40 minutes a game which was ridiculous and way too long... I'm hoping that was just a bug but I'm not sure. I was a TWD so I wonder if I would get less time as strictly an OD or DD? Since they hopefully wouldn't put me on both the PP and PK after that.

The one player I have consistently been playing with is my Center. (I play every single game, on 20 minute authentic periods, and I write down every time I get a PP assist since they don't record them).
2016-17 for Saskatoon. 15 Goals, 24 Assists, 39 Points in 26 games. +7, 36 PIM, 13 PP Points.
2017-18 for Saskatoon. 38 Goals, 46 Assists, 84 Points in 68 games. +12, 77 PIM, 32 PP Points. Drafted 15th.
2018-19 for Winnipeg Jets. 22 goals, 31 assists, 53 points in 74 games. +2, 68 PIM, 22 PP points.
2019-20 for Winnipeg Jets. 19 goals, 26 assists, 45 points in 52 games. -1, 53 PIM, 17 PP points.
2020-21 for Winnipeg Jets. 34 goals, 39 assists, 73 points in 79 games. +8, 27 PP points.
Currently:
2021-22 for Winnipeg Jets. 8 goals, 9 assists, 17 points in 15 games. +4, 6 PP points. Missed 18 games due to injury so far.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen

What level are you playing on? I'm currently playing with a power forward 16 years old on superstar settings with real time and I'm a point per game.

Very impressive stats

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Does anyone else find it too easy to be good in Be a Pro? I'm honestly not trying to brag but I play on full sim(gave myself a challenge this year and made it more realistic, full sim is much harder than other options.) and I even adjust sliders a lot to make the goalies much better, turn my shot accuracy down a notch too. Every time it seems I'm just lighting up the league with at least 4+ points per game coming straight out of junior. Doesnt matter which position or player type I giveback my player either and I don't go tryhard. Who knows maybe I'm EA Gretzky but I've found no fun in playing Be A Pro. Also wish it was more like 2k's Be a Pro, I want storylines and things to do that can affect things.

rapierdwit

Apr 8, 2017
So here's a few concerns I have before I start my be a pro career in the OHL as a 15-year old, so I'll be eligible for the 2019 NHL draft. So how fast and how much does your guy and your teammates improve, assuming I play a good amount of games? What can I expect my guy to be rated by the time he hits the NHL in 2019-2020 and what are the chances I go #1 overall? Also I was thinking about creating some teammates to help my guy improve maybe a nice goal-scoring winger and making them the same age. But I was thinking that I don't want my teammates to develop better and get drafted before my guy. Another way Im thinking to avoid this is to make my teammates 2020 eligible instead of 2019. Idk yet was hoping maybe somebody could answer some of these ??? I have. Another note I really wish they would get around to adding the world junior and Olympics/World Cup to BAP.
Played two seasons with the Spitfires as a Center, both my wingers went to other teams after the first season. Toward the end of second season, I would SIM first two periods and play the last. Went first overall in the draft and reached 90 in the preseason with the Canucks. Your overall rating is going to assure you get drafted before teammates.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Does anyone else find it too easy to be good in Be a Pro? I'm honestly not trying to brag but I play on full sim(gave myself a challenge this year and made it more realistic, full sim is much harder than other options.) and I even adjust sliders a lot to make the goalies much better, turn my shot accuracy down a notch too. Every time it seems I'm just lighting up the league with at least 4+ points per game coming straight out of junior. Doesnt matter which position or player type I giveback my player either and I don't go tryhard. Who knows maybe I'm EA Gretzky but I've found no fun in playing Be A Pro. Also wish it was more like 2k's Be a Pro, I want storylines and things to do that can affect things.

Yup. I tend to steer away from high-scoring plays because it feels too unrealistic to lead the league in scoring as 70 something overall player. Scoring is easy in BAP. What I do find challenging is playing defense. Only as a center I feel like I can stop opposing team from scoring whereas for other positions it feels impossible to play your position while stopping the other team from scoring. If you know how to do that then you're an EA god for sure.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Yup. I tend to steer away from high-scoring plays because it feels too unrealistic to lead the league in scoring as 70 something overall player. Scoring is easy in BAP. What I do find challenging is playing defense. Only as a center I feel like I can stop opposing team from scoring whereas for other positions it feels impossible to play your position while stopping the other team from scoring. If you know how to do that then you're an EA god for sure.

I feel like defense is easier in BAP. Weird

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
I've tinkered with sliders so much I've finally got things working well. Be A Pro is awesome. My only wish is that my AI teammates would be smarter, and that there was a slider for CPU pressure. The higher the pressure, the less room they give you.

Finally finished my first juniors season as a d-man. Took me awhile to figure out how to keep games under 40 minutes. I kept getting 30 minutes of ice time. Now I have it realistic, down to 21-23 TOI per game. I finished the injury riddled (on purpose) season with 28 games played, 3G 12A 15P, +10, 1 PPG, 80 PIM, and 90 hits. 20:30 TOI. It's been a blast.

suprafastcelica

Oct 30, 2006
I've tinkered with sliders so much I've finally got things working well. Be A Pro is awesome. My only wish is that my AI teammates would be smarter, and that there was a slider for CPU pressure. The higher the pressure, the less room they give you.

I believe that is the aggression slider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad