Proposal: Be a GM Mode

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Imagine that the Jacobs Family has had a change of heart and has decided to move on from both Cam Neely and Don Sweeney.

You have been hired as the club’s new General Manager.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it…

Using the pieces currently in place, outline your plan for this organization moving forward. This should include all of the following:

1. Immediate plan for the upcoming season

2. Deadline and off season planning for next season including trade deadline, draft, and free agency

3. 3-5 year plan for medium term. Where do you want to be? How do you get there? Describe your vision in theory, but also be specific about how you plan to implement your vision.

Anything is on the table, but you’ve got to start with what is currently in place. Jim Montgomery is the coach. The draft has taken place. The roster in place is exactly what you have to work with. Sold as is!

Have at it!

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Imagine that the Jacobs Family has had a change of heart and has decided to move on from both Cam Neely and Don Sweeney.

Using the pieces currently in place, outline your plan for this organization moving forward. This should include all of the following:

2. Deadline and off season planning for next season including trade deadline, draft, and free agency

3. 3-5 year plan for medium term. Where do you want to be? How do you get there? Describe your vision in theory, but also be specific about how you plan to implement your vision.

Anything is on the table, but you’ve got to start with what is currently in place. Jim Montgomery is the coach. The draft has taken place. The roster in place is exactly what you have to work with. Sold as is!

Have at it!
I got nothing lol

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
A lot depends on Krejci and Bergeron, but assuming they return as predicted:

1. Go for it this year. We have the pieces in place to be competitive. I think the coaching change will rejuvenate the group. If Swayman takes a step forward, we have a chance to beat anyone. So, as a practical matter, put as much of Berg/Krejci's comp into bonuses that defer to next year and sign Zacha to only a one year deal so that he is motivated to have a career year. The only caveat is this has to be done without a costly deadline acquisition, we just cannot give up high picks and top prospects anymore. Even still, when healthy, there is much more talent on this roster than people realize.

2. Assume Bergeron and likely Krejci gone next year. Start a re-tool. Accept potential of losing more games and actively integrate more young players into and higher up the lineup. Sign Pastrnak to 8 year contract at $9.5AAV. If Zacha is roughly a 20-25-45 guy as I predict and no red flags with attitude or team play, then sign him to 5 year deal at about $4m AAV. If DeBrusk shows growth and gets over 25 goals, sign to a 6 year deal at $5m per year, otherwise trade for draft picks. Do not sign any new veterans. Potentially trade some veterans off the roster, likely Grzelcyk, hopefully after a healthy rebound year. Probably trade Ullmark and Reilly too. Start searching for new 1-2 center in draft. Foligno, Smith and Nosek walk in UFA, replaced with internal candidates.

3. As far as 3-5 year plan and beyond, the plan is that the young core defense (McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Zboril, Lohrei) and Swayman is the strength of the team. I see both defense and goaltending as top 3 in the league in that term. Confine the problem to the forward group. At forward we have the following guys still well under 30: Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Zacha, Frederic. I think Marchand remains a very good player for another 4-5 years. I think we trade Coyle and Hall with 1-2 years left of their contracts for picks. We have a number of candidates that I think can backfill the bottom 6 (Beecher, McLaughlin, Steen), and you have to hope that at least 1 or 2 of our remaining prospects becomes a very good top 6 NHL forward (candidates: Lysell, Studnicka, Jellvik, Poitras, Harrison, Merkulov). That still leaves probably two major holes in top 6 forward lineup, likely at 1-2 center. We probably need to fill those spots with great draft picks over the next 2-4 years, or land a home run trade for a undervalued player (ala Miller, Zibanijad).

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
This year 2022-2025
I try to sign Bergeron and Krejci and bring them back on 1 year deals
Buyout Foligno.
Trade Wagner and Reilly to Calgary for Lucic with 2m retained.
Extend Pasta
Sign Zacha
Fire the entire pro scouting staff

Non personnel related
Hire an internal development team and work with sports science experts at local universities to work on building out our own software for managing prospects and pros. Using machine learning to look at everything from workout routines, sleep, diet.

Expand the

Deadline
Since this team is likely out of it due to injuries to start the season.
Trade Bergeron for a 1st and a top prospect
Trade Krejci for whatever his performance indicates he is worth
Trade Smith for whatever his performance indicates he is worth

Draft
Ask Marchand for his list of teams and trade him for picks and prospects
Trade Ullmark for picks and prospects
Don't go off the board at the draft in the 1st round

Next Year 2023-2024
Sign Bergeron to another 1-year deal.
Sign Cam Talbot on a 2 year deal
Sign Ryan O'Reilly to a 3 year deal
Sign Joe Pavelski to a 1-year deal
Fill out the roster with prospects. Sink or swim time.

Deadline
Trade Bergeron to a contender
Trade Pavelski to a contender
Trade Debrusk to a contender
Trade Gryz to a contender

Draft
Same deal, stay on the board in the 1st round

2024 - onward
Time to start getting competitive again. The core of the team is Swayman, McAvoy, Carlo, Lindholm, and Pasta. Any of the prospects we have picked up that shows promise last year could be added to the core of the team. The vision isn't to build a team that does anything specifically well. The vision is to rebuild the prospect cupboard while still giving fans a reason to come to the game. While at the same time creating an ecosystem based upon science for developing professional hockey players. Trying to get some edge.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This year 2022-2025
I try to sign Bergeron and Krejci and bring them back on 1 year deals
Buyout Foligno.
Trade Wagner and Reilly to Calgary for Lucic with 2m retained.
Extend Pasta
Sign Zacha
Fire the entire pro scouting staff

Non personnel related
Hire an internal development team and work with sports science experts at local universities to work on building out our own software for managing prospects and pros. Using machine learning to look at everything from workout routines, sleep, diet.

Expand the

Deadline
Since this team is likely out of it due to injuries to start the season.
Trade Bergeron for a 1st and a top prospect
Trade Krejci for whatever his performance indicates he is worth
Trade Smith for whatever his performance indicates he is worth

Draft
Ask Marchand for his list of teams and trade him for picks and prospects
Trade Ullmark for picks and prospects
Don't go off the board at the draft in the 1st round

Next Year 2023-2024
Sign Bergeron to another 1-year deal.
Sign Cam Talbot on a 2 year deal
Sign Ryan O'Reilly to a 3 year deal
Sign Joe Pavelski to a 1-year deal
Fill out the roster with prospects. Sink or swim time.

Deadline
Trade Bergeron to a contender
Trade Pavelski to a contender
Trade Debrusk to a contender
Trade Gryz to a contender

Draft
Same deal, stay on the board in the 1st round

2024 - onward
Time to start getting competitive again. The core of the team is Swayman, McAvoy, Carlo, Lindholm, and Pasta. Any of the prospects we have picked up that shows promise last year could be added to the core of the team. The vision isn't to build a team that does anything specifically well. The vision is to rebuild the prospect cupboard while still giving fans a reason to come to the game. While at the same time creating an ecosystem based upon science for developing professional hockey players. Trying to get some edge.
You lost me at trading Bergeron, signing him, then trading him again :laugh:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
GMs get paid to do this stuff and you're expecting me to do it for free?

Okay maybe, I might edit this post spewing my bullshit. Depends how I feel after my lunch.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If I was given this job before free agency, I would have gone in a different direction, I'd have signed one of the young centers that weren't tendered, but the rules say we start today, so...

1. Immediate plan for the upcoming season...

Bergeron and Krejci want to come back on team friendly deals you have to do it.
- Sign Bergeron @ $6m ($3m base, $3m bonus)
- Sign Krejci @ $5m ($2m base, $3m bonus)
- I'd elect a 1 year term in arbitration with Zacha and offer him $3.5m. He's got a lot to prove and if he doesn't deliver I need an out. I would also walk if he's awarded over $4.5.

Objectives for this season.
- Honor Bergeron's presence in the lineup by icing a competitive team. This means be a good team, make the playoffs and see if lightning strikes, but the days of going "all in" are behind us until we get a new core down the middle. So I won't be buying at the deadline unless it's a hockey trade.

- Immediately deal Nosek and Reilly. Craig Smith is also on the block but that one may wait until the deadline to maximize return. I would also deal Foligno if I can, even if I have to retain $1m, but I'm not paying anything significant to unload him, so no guarantees.
Bottom line; absolutely cannot carry those bonuses onto next year's cap.

- Integrate young players, particularly Studnicka.

- Add draft picks for 2023. I'd be that rare playoff caliber team that deals roster players.

2. Deadline Plan
I look to move Smith, he's in a contract year so I bet he's going to be productive and he still plays with energy. I'd also look to move Forbort, he should have value as a penalty killer right before the playoffs. I want Zboril playing in the playoffs. Hopefully we can get two mid-round picks out of it.

Marsh - Bergy - JDB
Hall - Krejci - Pasta
Zacha - Coyle - McLaughlin
Freddy - Studnicka - Steen

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Zboril - Clifton

Swayman - Ullmark

3. Off season planning for draft, and free agency.

- In the off-season I look to move Ullmark, at the draft if possible, after free agency if necessary. I hope to net a 2nd given the lack of quality goalies available around the league.

- Strategy for the draft... take the best center available in the first round and then whoever PJ Axelsson likes after that. Lol, I actually think they're doing better in the draft so outside of pushing for a center in the first round I let the scouts make the picks, and emphasize skill, skill, skill. The 2023 draft is deep and there are 5 potential high-end centers expected to go in the 13-22 range which is where I expect to be drafting: Wood, Heidt, Smith, Moore and Stenberg. Swing for the fences on every pick. No more "low floor" picks. You can get those guys as college free agents and on Day 2 of free agency.

- Strategy in free agency... Dylan Larkin or Bo Horvat. If one of them makes it to July 1st they are my top target. Short of that, I look at younger guys... Did Zacha sink or swim? Is he capable of being a 2nd line center? How about Studnicka. If both failed I look at the non-tendered UFA market to see if there is another Dylan Strome. If we landed Larkin and Zacha/Studnicka have taken a step forward we could be done "deep sea fishing." I also think you have to revisit Bergeron. Is he still performing at a high level? Does he want to keep playing? Ideally, he's not being asked to be the #1 center and he can become more of a Mark Recchi type of leader and mentor for the next generation. Between free agency, Bergeron and the kids we should at least have two #2 centers and at best a new #1 and a #2. we're in a place where we only need to bring 1 back because we've filled either the #1 center spot with a UFA or the #2 spot with a younger guy. I'd also look at graduating AHL UFA's who are mean/nasty SOB's to fill the role of the 13F, 8th D, designated face puncher. I think we've seen too many old warriors fail once they sign for money/term so I want to find young guys looking to prove themselves.

4. Medium term plan.
The plan in the medium term is to transition to a younger supporting cast, continue to provide a "winning environment" for players to develop in, and buy time for the "next core" to develop, specifically that '23 first round center, Lysell and Lohrei.

The team in 2023-24 would look something like...
Hall - Larkin/Bergy - Pasta
March - Studs/Zacha - Lysell
JDB - Coyle - McLaughlin
Frederic -Beecher - Steen

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Zboril - Wissman

Swayman - Keyser

Eventually I'm looking to transition from Coyle to Beecher, so it's conceivable my 2nd, 3rd and 4th line center are 3 of Studnicka, Beecher, Frederic or Harrison, in the medium term.

5. Five-year plan for long-term.
Long-term, I'm looking to build a team that has size/skill on the wings and size/power/snarl at center in the top9. I have six top6 forwards but use them evenly on lines 1-3, and supplement them with 3rd line types who can create some havoc by being physical and getting inside. The 4th line is more of a crash/energy line with guys who play simple, hit and fight.

The defense has at least 3 physical players but all 6 guys have to be able to skate, move the puck and jump up in the play, so even the 3 more physical guys need to have a two-way game. Bigger is better, but talent is more important than size IMO. I back the D up with a 1a/1b goalie system that competes for games.

Ideally, I spend 55% of the cap on forwards ($45m by today's cap), 33% of the cap on defensemen ($27m) and 8% of the cap in net $6.5m), that leaves me about 4% ($3.5m) in cap space for deadline deals. Ideally I'm spending my money on the play drivers and impact players, and backfilling the complimentary roles with young guys coming up.

I'd invest in scouting like no team in history. I'd put a dedicated scout on every team in the CHL, USHL, College and European leagues. Scouts are cheap so we would literally employ something like 2,000 scouts. My goal would be to be the best drafting team in the league in rounds 2-7. I want to be able to consistently find the Carlo, Marchand, Lucic types in those middle rounds and add quality college free agents every year, because I intend to trade my first round pick every year at the deadline, and if not, trade down to add additional middle round picks. I know that's completely counter to what most people believe but I think late 1st round picks are overrated. The probabilities there aren't that much better than the middle of the 2nd round, but the perception is that it's much higher value. In short, I think the probability of getting a player are higher from a mid-2nd and a mid-3rd versus one late 1st. I also think you can get some Grade A talent at the deadline (Hall, Lindholm) and if you can extend them you get them at a discount before silly season opens. So, a 27 year old in his prime, extended is worth more to me than a late first round lottery ticket.

I also take advantage of Boston being a desirable place for free agents. Lots of players live here in the off-season and that tradition of winning makes guys believe they aren't going to be on a cellar dweller for the duration of their deal. But again, the focus would be on play drivers, not complimentary players. For example, I'd like to be poised to make a 28 year old Jack Eichel an offer in 2026.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
If I was given this job before free agency, I would have gone in a different direction, I'd have signed one of the young centers that weren't tendered, but the rules say we start today, so...

- I'd elect a 1 year term in arbitration with Zacha and offer him $3.5m. He's got a lot to prove and if he doesn't deliver I need an out. I would also walk if he's awarded over $4.5.

- Honor Bergeron's presence in the lineup by icing a competitive team. This means be a good team, make the playoffs and see if lightning strikes, but the days of going "all in" are behind us until we get a new core down the middle. So I won't be buying at the deadline unless it's a hockey trade.

- Immediately deal Nosek and Reilly. Craig Smith is also on the block but that one may wait until the deadline to maximize return. I would also deal Foligno if I can, even if I have to retain $1m, but I'm not paying anything significant to unload him, so no guarantees.

- Add draft picks for 2023. I'd be that rare playoff caliber team that deals roster players.

2. Deadline Plan
I look to move Smith, he's in a contract year so I bet he's going to be productive and he still plays with energy. I'd also look to move Forbort, he should have value as a penalty killer right before the playoffs. I want Zboril playing in the playoffs. Hopefully we can get two mid-round picks out of it.

Marsh - Bergy - JDB
Hall - Krejci - Pasta

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Zboril - Clifton

Swayman - Ullmark

- In the off-season I look to move Ullmark, at the draft if possible, after free agency if necessary. I hope to net a 2nd given the lack of quality goalies available around the league.

- Strategy for the draft... take the best center available in the first round and then whoever PJ Axelsson likes after that. Lol, I actually think they're doing better in the draft so outside of pushing for a center in the first round I let the scouts make the picks, and emphasize skill, skill, skill. The 2023 draft is deep and there are 5 potential high-end centers expected to go in the 13-22 range which is where I expect to be drafting: Wood, Heidt, Smith, Moore and Stenberg. Swing for the fences on every pick. No more "low floor" picks. You can get those guys as college free agents and on Day 2 of free agency.

- Strategy in free agency... Dylan Larkin or Bo Horvat. If one of them makes it to July 1st they are my top target. Short of that, I look at younger guys... Did Zacha sink or swim? Is he capable of being a 2nd line center? How about Studnicka. If both failed I look at the non-tendered UFA market to see if there is another Dylan Strome. If we landed Larkin and Zacha/Studnicka have taken a step forward we could be done "deep sea fishing." I also think you have to revisit Bergeron. Is he still performing at a high level? Does he want to keep playing? Ideally, he's not being asked to be the #1 center and he can become more of a Mark Recchi type of leader and mentor for the next generation. Between free agency, Bergeron and the kids we should at least have two #2 centers and at best a new #1 and a #2. we're in a place where we only need to bring 1 back because we've filled either the #1 center spot with a UFA or the #2 spot with a younger guy. I'd also look at graduating AHL UFA's who are mean/nasty SOB's to fill the role of the 13F, 8th D, designated face puncher. I think we've seen too many old warriors fail once they sign for money/term so I want to find young guys looking to prove themselves.

4. Medium term plan.
The plan in the medium term is to transition to a younger supporting cast, continue to provide a "winning environment" for players to develop in, and buy time for the "next core" to develop, specifically that '23 first round center, Lysell and Lohrei.

JDB - Coyle - McLaughlin

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Zboril - Wissman

Swayman - Keyser

Eventually I'm looking to transition from Coyle to Beecher, so it's conceivable my 2nd, 3rd and 4th line center are 3 of Studnicka, Beecher, Frederic or Harrison, in the medium term.

Long-term, I'm looking to build a team that has size/skill on the wings and size/power/snarl at center in the top9. I have six top6 forwards but use them evenly on lines 1-3, and supplement them with 3rd line types who can create some havoc by being physical and getting inside. The 4th line is more of a crash/energy line with guys who play simple, hit and fight.

The defense has at least 3 physical players but all 6 guys have to be able to skate, move the puck and jump up in the play, so even the 3 more physical guys need to have a two-way game. Bigger is better, but talent is more important than size IMO. I back the D up with a 1a/1b goalie system that competes for games.

Ideally, I spend 55% of the cap on forwards ($45m by today's cap), 33% of the cap on defensemen ($27m) and 8% of the cap in net $6.5m), that leaves me about 4% ($3.5m) in cap space for deadline deals. Ideally I'm spending my money on the play drivers and impact players, and backfilling the complimentary roles with young guys coming up.

I'd invest in scouting like no team in history. I'd put a dedicated scout on every team in the CHL, USHL, College and European leagues. Scouts are cheap so we would literally employ something like 2,000 scouts. My goal would be to be the best drafting team in the league in rounds 2-7. I want to be able to consistently find the Carlo, Marchand, Lucic types in those middle rounds and add quality college free agents every year, because I intend to trade my first round pick every year at the deadline, and if not, trade down to add additional middle round picks. I know that's completely counter to what most people believe but I think late 1st round picks are overrated. The probabilities there aren't that much better than the middle of the 2nd round, but the perception is that it's much higher value. In short, I think the probability of getting a player are higher from a mid-2nd and a mid-3rd versus one late 1st. I also think you can get some Grade A talent at the deadline (Hall, Lindholm) and if you can extend them you get them at a discount before silly season opens. So, a 27 year old in his prime, extended is worth more to me than a late first round lottery ticket.

I also take advantage of Boston being a desirable place for free agents. Lots of players live here in the off-season and that tradition of winning makes guys believe they aren't going to be on a cellar dweller for the duration of their deal. But again, the focus would be on play drivers, not complimentary players. For example, I'd like to be poised to make a 28 year old Jack Eichel an offer in 2026.
If I was given the GM job... I quit my actual job ... take the pay check in a heartbeat (before being fired) and hire Playmaker to assist me, DOM for the CBA etc.. and GEE Wally for the staff discipline.!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This is my attempted rough outline of a plan for getting the Bruins in a position to seriously contend for a Cup by 2026. It involves rolling the dice on a few factors, as follows:
  • Marchand is able to hold his fitness and form for another 4 years.
  • Lysell, Lohrei and Swayman are the real deal. Hopefully Beecher too.
  • Pasta can be convinced to re-sign even though a couple of lean years are in the offing.
The plan for 2022-23 - the Bruins need an injection of serious young talent, and I want in at the stacked 2023 draft. So it’s tank time. No more talks with Krejci. Bergy of course it’s up to him but if he re-signs for another year he has to understand it’s for a team that has no immediate interest in playoffs. Play the kids, see who’s got it and who doesn’t. At the deadline and at the end of the season, sell. Hall, Coyle, Smith, Gryz, Ullmark all on the table. But Pasta, Lindy, McAvoy, Marchy and Sway are off-limits. Main aim is to somehow score another 1st round pick so the Bs have two in the draft. Back Swayman as your true no. 1 and find him a cheaper, reliable backup. Prepare to finish in the bottom 5-6 in the league.

The Bruins will need two top-6 centers. Aim to get one in the draft, one via FA. Bedard is the dream, but there are a few other supposedly high-quality Cs in the 23 draft, so no need to pin everything on him. Take the best center available. Then use the other, lower 1st rounder either to get a hopeful future top-6 LW.

For the FA center, it can come either next offseason or the following, whatever is best. From a quick look, you have O’Reilly, Larkin and Horvat potentially available next year, Pettersson, Reinhart and Elias Lindholm in the next one. Target whoever is most suitable with an attractive offer. Don’t quibble, get it done.

For the 23-24 season, start to get serious game time into Lysell, Lohrei and Beecher, and the newly drafted center if ready. Results still don’t matter too much, but hopefully things will start to trend up. Two holes left to fill – 3RW and a quality puck-moving defender who’s good in transition and more robust than Gryz. Acquire these via trade or FA. If someone comes up internally and earns the 3RW (McLaughlin?) great, but not counting on it.

Ideally at the start of the 2024-25 season, this is the lineup. Obviously haven’t crunched any cap numbers but you’ve got at least 4 players here on ELCs and only 3 on proper big bucks so broadly speaking I’d say it’s not unrealistic:

Marchand-FA-Pasta
DeBrusk-Draftee-Lysell
Zacha-Beecher-???
Gritty, physical 4th line

Lindholm-McAvoy
???-Carlo
Lohrei-Zboril/Clifton/Forbort/whoever

Swayman

Make playoffs, build experience and cohesion, then tilt for a Cup the following year. Is this lineup good enough? Questionable, because I can see at least four uncertainties on that roster. But I’d argue that there’s enough reason for optimism that it’s worth taking a punt on some form of quick rebuild like this and aiming to contend again within 4 years. And if it doesn’t work that quickly, well you’ve still kept your core pieces and futures, so the risk factor isn’t too high.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Have at it!

1) sign bergy and krejci run it back. Move reilly to create cap space for it to happen.

2) deadline not much barring major injury due to the cap. Too many draft assets have been used in years past. Need next years first rounder.

3) 3-5 years well the best way to do that is just identify a rebuild is going to have to happen post bergy. The fastest way of doing that is identifying players that will and will not be part of the next run. Hopefully sign pasta and go forward with pasta/McAvoy/Swayman/Lindholm/lysell/lohrei. Anyone else currently on the roster would be available for trade(yes even Marchand). The most assets they can acquire from trading guys like Marchand/hall/Coyle all who won’t be part of the next run, the faster the rebuild will be complete.

I don’t really care to see players retire on my favorite team. I’d just rather see my favorite team win and if trading aging stars gets me closer to that then I’d rather trade players than keep them.

… also pray that I draft better than Sweeney lol

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

2. Deadline Plan

Marsh - Bergy - JDB
Hall - Krejci - Pasta

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Zboril - Clifton

Swayman - Ullmark

4. Medium term plan.

JDB - Coyle - McLaughlin

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Zboril - Wissman

Swayman - Keyser

Scouts are cheap so we would literally employ something like 2,000 scouts.

A scout on average would be at least a $100,000 capital outlay annually with salary, benefits, associated taxes, and expenses, which with travel are likely huge. So 2,000 scouts would cost the team $200 million annually. I would like to be a fly on the wall when that proposal is presented to Jeremy Jacobs!

Reactions: pearljamvs5

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Scouts are cheap so we would literally employ something like 2,000 scouts.

A scout on average would be at least a $100,000 capital outlay annually with salary, benefits, associated taxes, and expenses, which with travel are likely huge. So 2,000 scouts would cost the team $200 million annually. I would like to be a fly on the wall when that proposal is presented to Jeremy Jacobs!
The scouts I know make more like $20k with no benefits or mileage reimbursement. They don’t make enough to quit their day jobs. And these are regional scouts. Te guys I’m talking about hiring would be a step below them, they’d be dedicated, 1 team scouts so very little travel. I’m thinking $10k and a team jacket. Most of these guys work in hockey so just being able to put an NHL team on your résumé has a lot of value. It’s still millions, but it’s more like $10-20m for 1k-2k dedicated scouts.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The scouts I know make more like $20k with no benefits or mileage reimbursement. They don’t make enough to quit their day jobs. And these are regional scouts. Te guys I’m talking about hiring would be a step below them, they’d be dedicated, 1 team scouts so very little travel. I’m thinking $10k and a team jacket. Most of these guys work in hockey so just being able to put an NHL team on your résumé has a lot of value. It’s still millions, but it’s more like $10-20m for 1k-2k dedicated scouts.

Gotcha, I didn't know labor could be had so cheap, although I suppose these are more like rabid fans getting paid an honorarium.

I think a source inside each teams coaching staff would be a huge asset. There is nothing like watching a team from behind the bench. I know when I played, and even in men's league, I could tell you anything about a player on my team, but all the opposing players (except for the complete stars) were basically indistinguishable to me. A coach relies on players for their livelihood, so they know who has it and who doesn't. The trick is that I think you need to get the information from an assistant coach because a HC may have too much invested in getting the players drafted high.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Gotcha, I didn't know labor could be had so cheap, although I suppose these are more like rabid fans getting paid an honorarium.

I think a source inside each teams coaching staff would be a huge asset. There is nothing like watching a team from behind the bench. I know when I played, and even in men's league, I could tell you anything about a player on my team, but all the opposing players (except for the complete stars) were basically indistinguishable to me. A coach relies on players for their livelihood, so they know who has it and who doesn't. The trick is that I think you need to get the information from an assistant coach because a HC may have too much invested in getting the players drafted high.
This isn't good, you need to know everyone's weaknesses and strengths when your on the ice against the stars or non stars to fully enhance your ability's. As would a good scout.;)

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

It's funny, because one of the guys I'm talking about has a picture at his desk of him sitting at the draft table with his team, so he's not completely insignificant, but he couldn't live on what he gets from his team. Not even close.

A lot of the "regional" guys I'm talking about are program directors and HC's for local junior teams. For example, one of the guys I'm taking about is Scott Harlow, he worked for the Oilers when he was with the Kings (and I was coaching with the Kings at the time). I think just putting Oilers Scout next to his name gave him and his program more credibility. Who wouldn't want to play for an NHL scout over a coach who's not affiliated with anyone.

With regard to the cheap part, it's like that even in the coaching ranks. Coaches are notoriously underpaid. I don't know what it's like in the junior ranks (yet), but high school coaches don't make enough to live on. I listen to a coaching podcast and they talk to NHL, World Junior and College coaches and they talk about how they had to be supported by their wives to chase their dream of coaching, because they had to work their way up through the ranks and the pay was so insignificant.

Reactions: Spooner st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad