BC's First Day Winners and Losers (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckie

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
top teams

stl,wsh,chi followed by ottawa were the winners today, i don't understand why edm would take dubnyk over schwartz.Getting shcremp 25th was great though.Why would phx take wheeler at 5th is just crazy,they could have traded down and picked him up late 1 rd and picked up additional players or pics, that was just stupid or inexperience, the program the score had stated most teams had wheeler rated 25-35, that's just awful drafting by phx period.I don't now what to think of nyr, picking montoya that early with laberra and blackburn already in the system, some of there later pics were good though.Dallas had an awful first pic with fistric,he's a late 2nd early 3rd pic,they kept trading away their pic when solid d prospects were on the board...

Just to answer the two most common complaints, about Vancouver and New York's first selections.

Firstly, I am not a fan of taking goaltenders high in the draft. Secondly, I am the biggest Montoya detractor on the board, so take that for what it's worth. Thirdly, I'm skeptical of big Cory, I'm a Canucks fan so I pray for the best from him but I ain't holding my breath. There are half a dozen players I thought were better value at each of those slots.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
bobbyorr4ever said:
Hard to shoot down Sutter after the huge playoff run, but what the f^&k?!?! Draft Schremp!!! That's all he had to do to make me happy, but oh no he had to draft Chucko...i doubt he ever makes significant impact...The Flames needed some skill & could of still got it in the 2nd rnd with the likes of Enver Lisin, Sindel & Victor ALexandrov still on the table amongst others...not exactly Sutter clones, but he could work with them & at least have some skill...
HELLO??? Do you even have a CLUE what Sutter is all about? I am almost sure you don't with a post like that. Schremp is not a Sutter player, never was and never will be -- a cocky prima donna that doesn't give 100% is not something Sutter wants, it's he can't wait to get rid of! Lisin and Alexandrov? Do you even know who Sutter is?? My god, you seriously need to wake up.

Sutter turned a 19th overall into three picks in the first three rounds and then ontop of that still got one of the players in his top three in Chucko (the other two were already taken). Chucko has skill and already plays a power forward game, to suggest a 17 year old won't make an impact is rediculous -- get a clue, there's more to scouting than rankings which are usually way off half the time. You probably thought the same of Zajac, until the Devils traded up to pick him.

Do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor and pick a different team to cheer for...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Gotta disagree on the oiler front. They got the 2 players they wanted and one was a steal.

I'll admit I don't fully understand the Dubnyk over Schwarz thing was weird, but I can think of two possible reasons. The oil haven't had a lot of luck with there european picks recently. Maybe he wanted someone in NA that he could oversee? Or maybe had had come inside track on him that we don't know about.

But whatever the reason, these are pros guys, they had reasons for their selections and I would put there knowledge andexperience over mine every day

B at least

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
You seem to have an interesting understanding of the grade "C"..

When you manage to get 5 picks in the first two rounds and waste them all for except one, while on top off it, passing on the guy that would save our franchise, f' yeah Armstrong is a Pejorative Slur. He couldn't have drafted a more meaningless player in the first.. a fat F for Armstrong on day 1..

mowthecat

terrible analysis

You dont even mention the Oilers getting Schremp but you rate their day a D? Did you even watch the draft? Also since you arent a scout and draft day is a huge gamble at best how do you know who the better goalie between Schwartz and Dubnyk is?Have you even seen both play...not that that would matter obviously by the way you judge talent.

Rating Montreals day a success for drafting Chipchura? Guess a team just cant have enough of those offensively challenged character guys huh?

mowthecat said:
You dont even mention the Oilers getting Schremp but you rate their day a D? Did you even watch the draft? Also since you arent a scout and draft day is a huge gamble at best how do you know who the better goalie between Schwartz and Dubnyk is?Have you even seen both play...not that that would matter obviously by the way you judge talent.

Rating Montreals day a success for drafting Chipchura? Guess a team just cant have enough of those offensively challenged character guys huh?

Firstly, I missed Schremp because I was so pissed about Dubnyk when I was writing Edmonton's review that I fudged it up. Secondly, I hurried to write this so that you guys could enjoy, pan, complain about it (note that it was posted about 90 minutes after the third round). Third, I have seen film of both Schwarz and Dubnyk. I like both of them, but Schwarz has been far superior. Nearly every scout who has seen them agrees with me. Schwarz is a game stealing player who is as quick as anyone I've ever seen, I have him as the fifth ranked player in the draft. Dubnyk is a bit of a boom or bust guy because his size is both an asset and a weakness, he can't afford to be out of position even a little bit.

I rated the Chipchura pick highly because they don't have any character guys. Montreal doesn't have any standup guys who do all the little things to win. That was more than apparent in their playoff collapse. Chipchura was slotted in that area of the draft by most, so the value isn't off. Montreal addressed a big need AND got good value from the pick, I call that a good pick. I stood by Kesler last year when people panned him and I stand by Chipchura now.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
I think people were just shocked that Lowe took Dubnyk instead of Schwarz (or maybe Schremp) if you were in the chat room earlier when Lowe took Dubnyk I was yelling at my TV screaming for Schremp, going off at everyone around me

now if Lowe didn't get Schremp at 25th (just say Calgary took right b4) it would be a different story and i would be very pissed at Lowe and give him a big fat D or even a F grade

Dubnyk could either be a Turek or a Burke, i'm really hoping Burke. I always liked Burke

Schremp at best could turn into Doug Weight then run off for more money after :joker:
at worst just another farm hand who can't score at the NHL level

and poeple got to quit calling Schremp small at 5'11 197

Last edited:

mowthecat

You've seen film only and arent a scout.To me that means you arent qualified to judge who's better.

Oilers needed depth in goal and some skill at centre. Did they address both needs in the first round?

I sure hope you arent saying Vancouver did better.They should have been drafting wingers huge seeing as how #1 has one more year max and #2 may never be the same player he has been by the time the legal system gets through with him.

LA won the day in my books.

mowthecat

andora said:

I missed all those guys being drafted today.Silly me.Plus I'll bet you any amount that max 2 see the bigs.Perezhoigen? Isnt he chopping wood somewhere?

Surprised you didnt throw Hainsey's scouting report out there.Then I could have had a real laugh.And no Marcel Hossa?What were you thinking man? :lol

Too bad about Balej though huh?He's already seen more ice in the show than 90% of your links will.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
mowthecat said:
I missed all those guys being drafted today.Silly me.Plus I'll bet you any amount that max 2 see the bigs.Perezhoigen? Isnt he chopping wood somewhere?

Surprised you didnt throw Hainsey's scouting report out there.Then I could have had a real laugh.And no Marcel Hossa?What were you thinking man? :lol

Too bad about Balej though huh?He's already seen more ice in the show than 90% of your links will.

what? you said montreal couldn't have enough offensively challenged character guys, implying their system is loaded with them. i proved that wrong, and who cares if they weren't drafted today...

my links, i'm not a montreal fan if you're trying to 'get' me with your electric wit and plethora of knowledge.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
BrooklynCanuck said:
Vancouver Canucks – Cory Schneider is an unproven goaltender who has never faced any sort of competition. A lot scouts say that he has skating flaws. However he interviews well, so he’s a perfectly good first round selection. Schneider is years and years off if he ever cracks an NHL line up. Boston College is a good program, hopefully four years there will turn him into a player who merits first round acclaim.
Grade: C-

No mention of the Canucks' other pick, Alexander Elder? Apparently word going around is that the Wings' European scout (Hakan Andersson, who was responsible for the Datsyuk and Zetterberg selections) really liked him and was poised to have the Wings take him with their only selection of the first day. This kid must have something if he can go into the draft not even ranked by CSS and have three (apparently Philadelphia had their eye on him too) teams drooling over him enough to make him a third round selection.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm going to lob a (homer) complaint on behalf of my beloved Blue Jackets. I conced Picard seems like a tad of a reach and I even admit that I was hoping for Thelen, Stafford or Tukonen at that pick.

CBJ came into the day with 5 picks (1 1st and 4 3rds) and came out of the day with 5 picks (1 1st, 2 2nds and 2 3rds), without giving anything else up. That's good asset management at the very least in my opinion.

Pinealut, I think, is a worthy gamble and could be a steal for the CBJ, while Wharton seems to be a solid prospect. Plus, they addressed goalie depth in the organization as well.

The didn't address the need for a high-end dman, but with Barker off the board, a lot of the other guys sounded pretty similar.

They added a little to their d, while adding two high-end offenisve guys. A safer-second-line winger in Picard and an so-far-underacheiving, but top-line potential winger in Pineault.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
andora said:
what? you said montreal couldn't have enough offensively challenged character guys, implying their system is loaded with them. i proved that wrong, and who cares if they weren't drafted today...

my links, i'm not a montreal fan if you're trying to 'get' me with your electric wit and plethora of knowledge.

It's kind of sad when everyone understands the point you were making except the one you're making it too. It's not worth it andora.

The Hab's obviously addressed an organizational weakness yesterday by first drafting Chipchura and then trading for Bonk. They were getting killed because of a lack of size down the middle, especially in defensive situations. Everybody with the slightest clue about the Habs current lineup and their prospects knows this. If Chip becomes a player, he should be ready, by the time Bonk's time in Habland is over 3 or 4 years from now.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
BrooklynCanuck said:
First Day...Losers

Boston Bruins – Boston didn’t have a whole lot to work with, drafting only twice at the bottom of the second round. They took a pair of undersized Eastern Europeans with their consecutive picks. Martins Karsums, their second selection is a crafty Latvian winger who made good progress in the Q this season. David Krejci was an unknown until the WU18 where he tallied a point per game. Boston really couldn’t do much, but didn’t do terribly.
Grade: C-
Who should the Bruins have drafted at the bottom of the second round?

MacDaddy TLC*

Chicago had a hell of a day. Caps did ok, but I really didn't like the Chris Bourque selection where they took him.

the Rangers had a pretty good Saturday as well.

The Oilers countered the Dubnyk over Schwartz selection (although the top rated goalies every year get upstaged over the career by someone taken lower) with the great selection at 25 of Robbie Schremp. He is going to make Kuyle 'Goodgrief' Woodlief look like a fool for dogging him like he did over the past 2 years.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Wheeler @ #5, Schwarz drops to #17, Shultz - Fistric

in the 1st round? Shremp to #25? Get the **** out.. Valorik at @10 - dude can't skate any better than me.. wish I was a half a foot taller. New Jersey jumps up for Zajac - which Dallas allows to keep out of the Av's clutches.

Nice...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Great work BC :)

Interestingly enough, LA(and St. Lou) got the steal because other teams are morons(hopefully) You know it's strange, all of the experts kept saying how week this Finnish crop was, but yet there were three chosen in the first round :dunno:

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
BrooklynCanuck said:
Losers:
Atlanta Thrashers – The Thrashers made a big splash when they took Slovakian giant Boris Valabik with the tenth pick. Valabik is a boom or bust prospect. Valabik is a less polished version of Zdeno Chara. If he overcomes skating deficiencies and starts to use better judgment, he could become a very nasty opponent and a goalie’s best friend. Second round pick Grant Lewis is an underdeveloped defenseman who will need a lot of seasoning, but he has 3 years at Dartmouth to mature. Third rounder Scott Lehman, another defenseman is not a personal favourite, there are major concerns about his ability to think the game. Atlanta swung for the fences, they could look very foolish in a few years.
Grade: C

The only problem I have is that you are implying that Chara was polished when he was the same age as Valabik. Chara had the exact same knocks on his game as Valabik.

The main weakness you see with many of the larger defenseman in the NHL is that they do not play to their height, they lack aggressiveness and do not throw their weight around. That is certainly not going to be an issue with Big Boris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->