BCJHL graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddy TLC*

Who are some and how well have their NHL careers gone?

Brett Hull played there if I'm not mistaken?

I'm looking to see because one of the kids in the draft preview is rated quite high and I am looking for some perspective on the quality of the league seeing as how I live too far away to actually get the chance to see a game. Would it be USHL calibre?

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Who are some and how well have their NHL careers gone?

Brett Hull played there if I'm not mistaken?

I'm looking to see because one of the kids in the draft preview is rated quite high and I am looking for some perspective on the quality of the league seeing as how I live too far away to actually get the chance to see a game. Would it be USHL calibre?

Its a Tier II league. Its the same as the AJHL where Dany Heatley played for the Calgary Canucks. They play in the Royal Bank Cup. Generally the players in the league move onto US Colleges and a few will go to the CHL. David Leneveu was a goalie for Nanaimo a couple years back. Scott Gomez and Shaone Morrisonn are a couple more examples. These guys were not drafted out of the BCHL though.. they moved on before the draft to bigger and better things. I can't think of any successful players drafted directly out of the BCHL.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Wasn't Hull drafted out of Minnesota-Duluth?

I think you may be right on Morrison though, I didn't watch the BCHL that far back though.

If you go way, way back, you'll see there were several guys taken directly out of the BCHL to have long careers. For instance, Mel Bridgman was selected #1 overall in the 1975 Amatuer Draft out of the WCHL (same thing, different name), and he played 14 years in the NHL.

EDIT: I should note that I had a big list of BCHL grads that played in the NHL that I was using to write an article recently that I found to be a dated and missing a couple entries. I believe it was on the BCHL website too. If any of you guys come accross a list with about 200 names of BCHL grads on that website, I don't think it's a very good one to go off of. I looked around for another list, but couldn't find one.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Hull was picked in 1984, the summer before he went to Minnesota-Duluth.

The WCHL isn't the same thing as the BCHL/BCJHL. It was the previous name of the WHL, changed in 1978. (Although Bridgeman might have played in the BCJHL at some point.)

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
A number of players have gone from the BCJHL to the NHL but via the NCAA (usually) or the WHL (on occasion). One 1st rounder that I remember being drafted DIRECTLY from the BCHL was Jason Marshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad