Battle of the not-quite-dynasties

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Solely those two seasons, I'd lean towards the Pens, but the Wings added to their's again in '02 with a hefty chunk of the core still intact, most notably their top 4 players that year with Lidstrom, Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanahan. So I used that, and a touch of homerism, to vote for the Detroit.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
The Wings solely because of the season before their 97 Cup win, they set an NHL record with 62 regular season wins

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The Red Wings shouldnt be anyone's choice. First off the Flyers were better. Clarke was better than Yzerman, Barber was at least as good as Fedorov at the time, and Leach was playing near to that of Shanahan. Also Parent trumps over Vernon.

But on the flip side the Pens were still better IMO. Mario was better than anyone there. Throw in Francis, Jagr, Mullen, Tocchet (for one year), Recchi (for one year), Coffey (for one year), Stevens, Barrasso, Murphy, and the Samuelssons. That team has more depth than anyone of the others.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Wings. But I am a little biased since I was born around the time the Pens won a Stanley Cup and the Flyers were wayyyyyyyy before my time.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
Flyers went to 3 Cup Finals in a row, something the other two can't claim.
3 in 4 isn't bad, with that 4th year being a WCF trip after setting an NHL record in wins. Then of course they topped it off with another cup in '02 with the same core.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
True, but the Pens went on to win the presidents trophy in 92-93. The playoff run was a disgrace.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
I lean towards the Flyers because I think they had the better goaltender of the three teams.

The Penguins had the better forwards, and the Red Wings had the had the better defensemen.

However, I will take the Flyers with Bernie Parent. He was the best goaltender in the NHL during the 1973-74 and 1974-75 seasons, both the regular season and the playoffs.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
kovy1335 said:
True, but the Pens went on to win the presidents trophy in 92-93. The playoff run was a disgrace.

The Flyers dismantling of the Soviets in 76 trumps the Presidents Cup.

The Flyers were also without Parent (two time defending Conn Smythe winner) and MacLeish (led the Flyers in post-season scoring both Cup years).

The Flyers win over the Orr-Espo Bruins, was also the most impressive series win of any of the three teams.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
albertGQ said:
The Wings solely because of the season before their 97 Cup win, they set an NHL record with 62 regular season wins

They actually set that record the year before in 96 when they lost to Colorado...

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i'm pretty damn biased, but i think that era of pens teams were unstoppable once they got rolling. '92 team owns the record for consecutive playoff wins(11), and the '93 team owns the record for consecutive regular season wins(17). they might not have been as well rounded as the wings or flyers, but i think they could have beaten either.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I'm going with Detroit, only because the two championships were a by-product of their overall success, which was much more impressive than either Pennsylvania teams.

In fact, what Detroit has accomplished over the last decade-plus is as impressive as any team (aside from Montreal's glory days) in history.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i'm pretty damn biased, but i think that era of pens teams were unstoppable once they got rolling. '92 team owns the record for consecutive playoff wins(11), and the '93 team owns the record for consecutive regular season wins(17). they might not have been as well rounded as the wings or flyers, but i think they could have beaten either.

Pens didn't crack 90 points in either Cup winning year.

Flyers went
78 games -112 (2nd)
80 games -113 (T-1)

80 games -118 (2nd)

Pens went
80 games -88 (7th)
80 games -87 (T-6)

84 games -119 (1st)

Wings went
82 games -131 (1st)
82 games -94 (5th)
82 games -103 (3rd)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You young guys really don't know what you've missed

The Flyers were so dominant in that two year stretch with the most phenomenal back-to-back seasons of goaltending in hockey history (only later rivaled by Hasek).

And I hate the Flyers with a passion. George Lucas styled Darth Vader on Bobby Clarke.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
Stephen said:
They actually set that record the year before in 96 when they lost to Colorado...

Ummm, yeah. I know. Thats why I said BEFORE they won the Cup in 97, they won 62 regular season games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad