Batman: Arkham Knight (6/22/15)

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Is this game ever getting a GOTY edition? Been waiting for it to drop in price for the game and DLC but it never does.

At this point I know I'll bite the bullet pay full price and then it'll be 19.99 three days later.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Is this game ever getting a GOTY edition? Been waiting for it to drop in price for the game and DLC but it never does.

At this point I know I'll bite the bullet pay full price and then it'll be 19.99 three days later.

The DLC is mostly forgettable and the game is long enough that I think most would not be interested in making it last longer.

Honestly the game got a really bad rep for no good reason, it's by far the best of the Batman games and I recommend anyone thinking about getting to just do so.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Arkham knight really hits the sweet spot for length imo. Not too long where you need to delicate your life to it, not too short where you feel like you wasted your money.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
The DLC is mostly forgettable and the game is long enough that I think most would not be interested in making it last longer.

Honestly the game got a really bad rep for no good reason, it's by far the best of the Batman games and I recommend anyone thinking about getting to just do so.

Technical issues and locking the ending behind all of the riddler trophies was kind of a ****** idea

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sure

The technical issues are no more though and I have no idea why people put so much stock in a game's ending: how in the world does a CG scene such a determinant of how people feel about a game?

It's messed up

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
They laid an egg on PC. They deserve a bad rep. It drops below 60 fps on a 980ti, even after all of the 'fixes'.

It is still a good game though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have i5-4690k and GTX 970 and ran the game flawlessly at max without the Nvidia nonsense and purchased it in February.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Sure

The technical issues are no more though and I have no idea why people put so much stock in a game's ending: how in the world does a CG scene such a determinant of how people feel about a game?

It's messed up

When this is billed as the end of a trilogy, that many people have loved since it began, and you lock the FINAL ENDING to that trilogy behind a bunch of riddler challenges that people have complained about since day one they deserve flak for that.

The game is very good but to act like it didn't have problems is shortsighted

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think people are getting far too hooked up on the final ending thing

The ending is the part where [spoil]you go into FPS as the Joker[/spoil]

That is the climax of the story, not the little dinky scene you get when you get 100%

The shortcomings though, the ones were are talking about, are

- Not true anymore when it comes to performance on PC (although the piss poor job they did and released was fully deserving of the outrage)
- No accurate when it comes to the ending. What matters is the climax, as far as story telling goes, and that is not locked up, you get it no matter what

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Asylum is miles ahead of the others.

AK is basically just a worse City; it's fine, but yea, I wish I hadn't payed full price for it. The villains were almost all forgettable (which is the last thing you should ever say about anything involving Batman) and the twists were telegraphed.

A lot of it probably also has to do with the fact that the gameplay loop was wearing out by City. I think they at least realized that and sought to compensate with the Batmobile stuff, but unfortunately that was all generally bad. Something like Shadows or Mordor got away with it one last time because they had things that were much more interesting than tank battles and bad race courses.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Asylum has very limiting gameplay: fights are almost boring compared to Knight

All Asylum has is better level design but that's because tight linear experiences are almost always better than open world

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
^^^, I share the exact opposite opinion. Asylum is way too linear for my liking. The game is one big hallway almost. I'm a big fan of city, but I really can't think of anything City does better than Arkham Knight.

I also didn't take issue with the tank battles the way other people did. In fact I had a ton of fun. Never got tired of it once and I think it could actually make a decent stand alone game.

That and the unbelievable level of detail put into Arkham knight (not even talking about the amazing graphics) it's clearly better to me. I mean everything right down to the tiniest object or the most obscure wall seems to have life in Arkham knight.

I agree though the full ending was horrible. I actually wish I never unlocked it.

Still for me each release (never played origins) got better as it went. Though maybe not playing origin is why it stayed fresh for me.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I've never really found anything in their open world titles to really have any "life." Asylum did because it held somewhat to a more classic gothic style; the Gotham of City/Origins/Knight is just a boring "city" like it is in the recent films. Batman is Burton or bust. And also the fact that the streets are always empty doesn't seem to help. Someone rightly pointed out that there's not much point in making an open world Batman game if you're just going to make the world empty every time.

I skipped Origins as well but the gameplay in Knight still felt well-worn. Maybe even a step down from City overall, on top of being inherently less impressive the less novel it becomes. So it boiled down to fighting uninteresting baddies in an uninteresting story while alternating between solid but stale melee combat, and new but uninteresting car combat.

As someone who loved Asylum and City, this is probably the first time I've thought about Knight since the day after I beat it and traded it in. About as boilerplate as big budget games get.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The streets are not empty in knight, even when you completely eliminate the militia and you've completed the game 100% there's hundreds of rioters and the riots move

There's also tons of detail in every stage, the open world too. I would constantly stop and look around to see the work that was put in, I was really impressed.

For the villains, they were somewhat short but the performances were still impressive, especially pyg.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The streets are empty in that there are no civilians, which is the entire reason Batman exists in the first place.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The streets are empty in that there are no civilians, which is the entire reason Batman exists in the first place.

The city was evacuated, but even if they didn't do that I would hate for there to be civilian rescue missions. To have to save every civilian. And then even to be able to ignore them it wouldn't make sense for batman to do. I get why they made the city deserted.

They had that in Spider-Man 2 on ps2 and I hated doing it and every time I ignored someone getting mugged I would think how ridiculous it would be for Spider-Man to do that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Syz is the perfect example of the kind of gamer that if things aren't exactly how he or she wants them to be then it's the game's fault.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Syz is the perfect example of the kind of gamer that if things aren't exactly how he or she wants them to be then it's the game's fault.

In that I want games to be at least moderately innovative over their predecessors, in which Arkham Knight was not.

They ****ed it up with Origins (or at least saw another team **** it up with Origins) and got a re-do, yet still managed to make a game that was worse than City in every way outside of polygon count. They butchered "A Death in the Family." They had severe creative freedom as soon as Scarecrow showed up and did nothing with it mechanically, unless we want to count those garbage DLC race courses. They all but copy-pasted some of their side quests from previous games, and their big "add" was clunky tank combat that could have just as well been lifted from a 1990s arcade game. My Batmobile ran over another car on its own once. That was cool, I guess.

The game's fine, it just didn't need to exist. It's the Twilight Princess of Batman games. Borrow it from a friend, play through it, promptly forget about it.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Except Twilight Princess is a lot better than Arkham Knight. Good story, decent sidekick for once, very well designed dungeons. The only thing holding TP back was the fact it dragged on about 10 hours too long with all the garbage in between dungeons. Arkham Knight feels like a drag the whole way through, especially with the stealth tank crap.

I usually replay through the Arkham games at least once. Knight isn't worth it. In fact i don't think i even have it installed on my HDD at this point. The DLC sucked too (never even played through season of infamy since i accidentally started NG+ looking for it. **** that.) First and last time i buy a season pass.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Got to the tank battle with the Arkham Knight in the subway and promptly just dropped it. That was at least a month ago. Incredibly forgettable game.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Except Twilight Princess is a lot better than Arkham Knight. Good story, decent sidekick for once, very well designed dungeons. The only thing holding TP back was the fact it dragged on about 10 hours too long with all the garbage in between dungeons. Arkham Knight feels like a drag the whole way through, especially with the stealth tank crap.

I usually replay through the Arkham games at least once. Knight isn't worth it. In fact i don't think i even have it installed on my HDD at this point. The DLC sucked too (never even played through season of infamy since i accidentally started NG+ looking for it. **** that.) First and last time i buy a season pass.
twilight princess is alright but I have a similar problem with it that other people have with arkham knight.

About half the game , links wolf form, is horrible and boring.

Also I'm not a big fan of the lighting effect they use. Some people like it, I honestly think it looks horrible. Its a shame because the character designs are so damn good, the colors are just somehow off and it constantly was unpleasant on my eyes all the way though

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the one saying Witcher 3 is terrible compared to Fallout because the Witcher wouldn't let you murder every random civilian?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->