Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Huberdeau-McDavid-Barzal would be interesting, but could two puck dominant playmaking centers work together? The hockey IQ is there to make for something special, but I don't think Barzal has ever played RW in any game that meant anything. Huberdeau would obviously be the shooter so he's a natural fit, but I'm not sure having 2 engines on a line is ideal.

Theoretically, of course. Haha.

it may not work. but 2 high iq players may find a way. the burden of making it work would be more on McDavid than Barzal. if not, then move Mat to play center. depending on availability this spring, but I'm thinking Avs rookie Kerfoot and Mantha at RW. I'm just interested in seeing a whole bunch of new Team Canada players this spring...we'll see how it goes.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Is it time to try Barzal on the PK? He played it in Seattle (he played nearly 30 minutes per game in Seattle). His fast stick and explosion could back off the points a bit - put some real fear in the opposing PP. Doing so would probably reduce his offensive opportunities somewhat.

Reactions: The G Man and mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Is it time to try Barzal on the PK? He played it in Seattle (he played nearly 30 minutes per game in Seattle). His fast stick and explosion could back off the points a bit - put some real fear in the opposing PP. Doing so would probably reduce his offensive opportunities somewhat.

kind of mentioned this yesterday. Barzal hounds the puck and his speed alone would create some noise not to mention the open ice.

Reactions: dano16

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
kind of mentioned this yesterday. Barzal hounds the puck and his speed alone would create some noise not to mention the open ice.

He's so sneaky when pursuing the puck. If he sees the opportunity to steal it, he glides in nice and quiet and catches the puck carrier off guard. I love it.

Reactions: NYI JT91

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
No one has ever looked more like Steve Yzerman (for the 1st 13 years of his career) than Mathew Barzal. The way he can control the puck and circle the zone before making a play is almost a carbon copy of what Yzerman used to do.

There's been so many "the next Yzerman, the next..." but Barzal is the real deal. He's awesome to watch.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
hate all these comparisons to greats of the game, reality is Barzal is still very young and anything can happen in the future, I am still waiting for the bottom to fall on him as the fact the Islanders got a guy like him seems to good to be true, so lets not compare him to anyone and be happy he is who he is and hope he is going to want to re-sign with us in a couple of years

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
hate all these comparisons to greats of the game, reality is Barzal is still very young and anything can happen in the future, I am still waiting for the bottom to fall on him as the fact the Islanders got a guy like him seems to good to be true, so lets not compare him to anyone and be happy he is who he is and hope he is going to want to re-sign with us in a couple of years

If you look at my past posts, I wanted to trade him for Duchene. I also thought the fanbase was wrong to anoint him 2C. I have to admit I think I was wrong. He looks pretty solid. This isn't a Matt Moulson fluke. This isnt a Ho-sang fluke. This kid looks as close to legit as I've seen in a while. I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic, and willing to admit I was wrong

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
No one has ever looked more like Steve Yzerman (for the 1st 13 years of his career) than Mathew Barzal. The way he can control the puck and circle the zone before making a play is almost a carbon copy of what Yzerman used to do.

There's been so many "the next Yzerman, the next..." but Barzal is the real deal. He's awesome to watch.

The intensity is there too. The difference seems to be that Yzerman had a high-end release.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The intensity is there too. The difference seems to be that Yzerman had a high-end release.

I have never heard so many NHL Hall Famers mentioned when it comes to a young NYI player than Barzal. The likes of Stevie Y, Pat Lafontaine, Dennis Savard, Joe Sakic minus the wrister are all NHL royalty. We have been burned so many years that were almost afraid we may have a gem. Well, atleast I am. Let's hope for a long career as an Islander..

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Reading this thread is proof to me that even in the best of world's, Islander fan world just can't be happy.

This team could win 5 straight cups and that one Debbie Downer would be quick to point out, "We need a more reliable 7th defenseman if we expect to win 6 straight."

... not that I would necessarily disagree.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Reading this thread is proof to me that even in the best of world's, Islander fan world just can't be happy.

This team could win 5 straight cups and that one Debbie Downer would be quick to point out, "We need a more reliable 7th defenseman if we expect to win 6 straight."

... not that I would necessarily disagree.

I know a guy who was an Isles fan turned Ranger fan because the Isles just couldn't get that fifth

No surprise here, guy is an asshole.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Ahh. I’d rather save him for 5 on 5 and the PP.

His game is predicated on energy, don’t want him to burn out.

Reactions: NYI JT91

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015
If you look at my past posts, I wanted to trade him for Duchene. I also thought the fanbase was wrong to anoint him 2C. I have to admit I think I was wrong. He looks pretty solid. This isn't a Matt Moulson fluke. This isnt a Ho-sang fluke. This kid looks as close to legit as I've seen in a while. I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic, and willing to admit I was wrong

Seriously? Yeah guy's almost 22: Over the hill :D

Reactions: dano16

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Remember when some ppl here said Beauvillier was the better player? lol

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

I had and have the same opinion. Maybe Barzal is proving us wrong, BUT I am also still cautious like yourself because the sample size is too small. He is also playing with goos wingers...still hard to gauge what he is capable of. I don't think I can be satisfied until I see 3 years in a row of good to great play.

Hp-sang just needs to change his style of play....hard to get rid of bad habits.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Every time I see this guy play, I can't believe he slipped to 16. It's not like he was an unknown commodity. Mocks had him going has high as 3rd in preseason drafts.

In assessing all the players drafted that year and are now in the NHL, the top 3 discussion should have been McDavid, Barzal, Boesser, with Eichel, Hanifan, and Marner being the next tier. I know the debbie downers won't like that, but would you seriously trade Barzal for any of the latter three?

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Every time I see this guy play, I can't believe he slipped to 16. It's not like he was an unknown commodity. Mocks had him going has high as 3rd in preseason drafts.

In assessing all the players drafted that year and are now in the NHL, the top 3 discussion should have been McDavid, Barzal, Boesser, with Eichel, Hanifan, and Marner being the next tier. I know the debbie downers won't like that, but would you seriously trade Barzal for any of the latter three?
I agree. No I would not trade him for eichel etc. I think Barzal is #2 in that draft as of now. Maybe not at the time but yes now he seems to be the 2nd best player from the draft. Eichel a close 2nd, hard to tell being he is on a shit team

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I agree. No I would not trade him for eichel etc. I think Barzal is #2 in that draft as of now. Maybe not at the time but yes now he seems to be the 2nd best player from the draft. Eichel a close 2nd, hard to tell being he is on a **** team

It's really wild to think that if you told us this summer we would have Eichel as a 2C we'd be ECSTATIC.

Well, Barzal is playing on that level and he is all ours. They do have some similarities, Eichel can do the merry go round too, where he just holds onto the puck and uses his strong skating to circle the offensive zone.

I'm happy with Barzal and he is the reason I watch the Islanders now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad