Barry Melrose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
I love the guy. Loved when he coached the Kings. Think he is an incredible announcer for the game. Good sense of humor. How was he as a player? Anyone old enough here that saw him play regularly? Part of his comedy is when a replay is made of some dude getting owned in a fight, he always refers to the guy getting beat as him, the way he used to fight. Funny cause he always rips on himself that way. Just curious how he was in general, and if some of this was true. I am sure he wasnt very "well-known" but perhaps I am wrong.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Cropduster said:
I love the guy. Loved when he coached the Kings. Think he is an incredible announcer for the game. Good sense of humor. How was he as a player? Anyone old enough here that saw him play regularly? Part of his comedy is when a replay is made of some dude getting owned in a fight, he always refers to the guy getting beat as him, the way he used to fight. Funny cause he always rips on himself that way. Just curious how he was in general, and if some of this was true. I am sure he wasnt very "well-known" but perhaps I am wrong.
Funny, you like him, I think he's a pathetic racist. He took some shots at French Canadians on a St.Louis radio station last year that would have cost him his job if he was working in a different sport. That's just me though.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
mcphee said:
Funny, you like him, I think he's a pathetic racist. He took some shots at French Canadians on a St.Louis radio station last year that would have cost him his job if he was working in a different sport. That's just me though.

Point understood. I am not Canadian so I didnt know that. All I know is I enjoy him on TV/radio and didnt know what type of player he was. Sorry you dislike him so

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
NHL: 300 GP, 33 Pts, 728 PIMS. Not exactly Gretzky. Didn't hear the radio piece so I can't comment on that but I like him also.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Cropduster said:
Point understood. I am not Canadian so I didnt know that. All I know is I enjoy him on TV/radio and didnt know what type of player he was. Sorry you dislike him so

Sometimes, ya know, I tend to over react, [but don't tell anyone]. Truth is that he positioned himself a certain way to curry favor in a the market he considers his bread and butter.His comments got no airplay outside of St.Louis and a Mtl. radio station that picked up the ESPN feed. He said some stuff that waves a red flag in front of me. I doubt this was a story anywhere else. You know how it is, some things tend to stick in your craw more than they should. Whatever a craw is.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Barry Melrose was a stay-at-home defenseman with very little offensive skill. He a scratch at times during his 11-year NHL career. He also played in the WHA with the Cincinnatti Stingers.

A funny thing is that I use Barry Melrose to counter talks of the NHL being "watered down." I state that the influx of quality Eastern European players has more than kept up with expansion. I like to say and write that the Barry Melrose's of the world have been replaced by the Zdeno Chara's of the world.

mcphee said:
What generally did he say? I couldn't find anything with a Google search.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
David Puddy said:
Barry Melrose was a stay-at-home defenseman with very little offensive skill. He a scratch at times during his 11-year NHL career. He also played in the WHA with the Cincinnatti Stingers.

A funny thing is that I use Barry Melrose to counter talks of the NHL being "watered down." I state that the influx of quality Eastern European players has more than kept up with expansion. I like to say and write that the Barry Melrose's of the world have been replaced by the Zdeno Chara's of the world.

What generally did he say? I couldn't find anything with a Google search.

After I posted, I wished I hadn't because I don't want to bring up a debate we did to death during last year's playoffs. Please bear with me and stay away a political/socio. debate that in the end doesn't belong here. During the Mtl./Boston series last year, a vocal minority made their presence known by booing the Star Spangled Banner. Considering the timing, I felt it was a hockey/partisan sort of thing, though definitely not something I liked. The issue was resolved when they played a Jean Beliveau tape next game, preaching the need for respect. As happens, the story got legs and was news across the US. Again, I hope no one resurrects the issue. Melrose was doing a radio bit on a St.Louis ESPN affiliate and said something along the lines of, 'don't worry, that's just the French, they hate everything that's English, and the rest of Canada hates everything that's French'. When I see attitudes like that in my country, it kind of saddens me, when I see attitudes like that with a public forum, it pisses me off. Pick a race on your side of the border and generalize about them and good luck with future employment.

I could care lees when a guy has an idiotic opinion, though it annoys me when he presumes to speak for anyone other than himself. Probably not even racist, more pandering to an audience, though he insults the intelligence of the audience. This is just to explain and answere the question. If it doesn't belong here, mods, feel free to give me the appropriate board butt kicking. Sorry to muck up your thread Cropduster.

pipes31

Mar 2, 2005
Guess
Melrose was doing a radio bit on a St.Louis ESPN affiliate and said something along the lines of, 'don't worry, that's just the French, they hate everything that's English, and the rest of Canada hates everything that's French'.

I've lived literally almost ON the Canadian border all my life, and have a Canadian S.O. and several Canadian friends. I have to say, I think he's dead on with that comment. Just IMO. I have met him numerous times, my step mom is best friends with him and they raised their kids together, I've never heard him described in such a manner.

acr*

Yeah, that comment isn't that bad, and probably true in a sad way.

It's still better than when they got upset over Conan O'Brien sending a dog puppet to crack some jokes. That was blown way out of proportion.

As for Melrose, I recently went toa Manchester Monarchs game when it was Mullet Night, he was there, and pretty funny. I like the guy and always loved watching NHL2Night with Melrose and Buccigross(one of my favorite ESPN anchors ever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->