Barrie Colts 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Nice OT win by the Colts; bad angle goal allowed by Helvig and a smart play by Willms to shoot when Helvig obviously wasn't expecting it. Lazarev gets away with a stinker of a game IMO. Glad to see Suzuki get his 1st of the playoffs.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Agreed an off game for Lazarev. Thought the Colts controlled the game for the most part. While everyone was good, was particularly impressed with Suzuki. He keeps looking more and more confident with the puck, and is playing a very important role as a true rookie.

Arjay

May 25, 2011
Yes, only 2096 at Game 1. Partly the weather, also a new day (Wed), plus the price point. I'm not aware of playoff prices around the league, but it seems to me that over $30 is a reach. I agree that both goalies were a bit hungover, but otherwise it was a most enjoyable game to watch.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes, only 2096 at Game 1. Partly the weather, also a new day (Wed), plus the price point. I'm not aware of playoff prices around the league, but it seems to me that over $30 is a reach. I agree that both goalies were a bit hungover, but otherwise it was a most enjoyable game to watch.
I'm from Windsor so I have no idea what 2nd round tickets cost:(

Reactions: nelli27

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Real ticket price around $26.50 at the box office. About average when compared to around the league.

Anyways the much better crowd saw quite the game tonight. Magwood snipes one for the winner. Svech with the insurance and Leo was real solid. Curious how the league sees the Nyman hit. Svech got 4 games for much less. Luckily Peca was ok.

Hockeyfan1234

Aug 31, 2016
Great game two by the colts. Leo playing really well so far in the playoffs. Hopefully Colts can keep it going and pick up at least one win in Kingston. Scoring depth has continued to support the first line which creates scoring chances every time the puck is on their stick. kinda worried that Hawerchuk is playing the first line too much and they end up burnt out as the playoffs wear on. Seems like they play half of the game!

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Nice draft by the colts yesterday. Felt they needed to address depth on the wing as there will be some graduation there soon. Also went for some good size there with Piercey and Russell. Also liked the hometown guy in Foerster being picked. Those 3 could form a solid line one day. One of my personal favorites Aiden Hughes was selected in the 8th round. He’s one to watch for. Also liked that they took some Americans from areas they’ve had success in the past. Coranato is one to watch if they can pull him from his commitment to Harvard.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Tough loss by the Colts. They could have easily taken the series if they would have got a couple more bounces their way. This team will look a lot different next year.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Tough loss by the Colts. They could have easily taken the series if they would have got a couple more bounces their way. This team will look a lot different next year.

Yes they will look a lot different. They could conceivably be back in the basement again.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Gone for sure IMO are:

Svech
Luchuk
Lazarev
Sokolov
Fergus
1 of Magwood or Chiodo

Hockeyfan1234

Aug 31, 2016
Agree with above as to who is gone next year. However I think team should still be very competitive next year. Lose the first line and the next three lines are a year older plus one can only hope that Suzuki is able to take a big step forward and be a legitimate first line player in the league. Lose Fergus and the rest of the D is a year older. Biggest question mark to me is goaltending and Edmonds or someone else can step in and do as good or better job then Leo did. Think the Propp trade could potentially look bad if goaltending becomes an issue and he continues to play well in North Bay.

Agree likely losing Magwood or Chiodo will be tough but would assume they will get something in return. Plus, team will likely pick up a new import or two (hard to say if they can be impactful or not)???

Colts where winning and in first or second before they picked up Luchuk and Fergus, plus Svech was a couple months out with broken hand. I think colts could easily be as good next year as this year but only time will tell.

Entertaining season none the less and team far exceeded anyone's expectations from the end of last year so who knows what will happen.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
How much losing Hawerchuk and Heitzner to suspensions last night hurt the Colts?

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Rumor has it that there are a number of players requesting trades this off season so they could be a drastically different looking team next fall.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Agree with above as to who is gone next year. However I think team should still be very competitive next year. Lose the first line and the next three lines are a year older plus one can only hope that Suzuki is able to take a big step forward and be a legitimate first line player in the league. Lose Fergus and the rest of the D is a year older. Biggest question mark to me is goaltending and Edmonds or someone else can step in and do as good or better job then Leo did. Think the Propp trade could potentially look bad if goaltending becomes an issue and he continues to play well in North Bay.

Agree likely losing Magwood or Chiodo will be tough but would assume they will get something in return. Plus, team will likely pick up a new import or two (hard to say if they can be impactful or not)???

Colts where winning and in first or second before they picked up Luchuk and Fergus, plus Svech was a couple months out with broken hand. I think colts could easily be as good next year as this year but only time will tell.

Entertaining season none the less and team far exceeded anyone's expectations from the end of last year so who knows what will happen.

You dont think losing Svechnikov, Luchuk, Fergus, Sokolov and Lazarev will matter? Tough to lose your 4 best players and starting goalie and not have a drastic drop-off. Piercey will be a good power forward once hes older but cant expect anything near Suzuki production from him next year

styleeano

Aug 30, 2017
Rumor has it that there are a number of players requesting trades this off season so they could be a drastically different looking team next fall.
I think the team was actually better than what we seen there was some players who played well at the start of the season then suddenly there play dropped off, so i am not surprised some players want out i think the coach is the problem and i would keep Magwood and Chiodo if it was up to me

Hockeyfan1234

Aug 31, 2016
You dont think losing Svechnikov, Luchuk, Fergus, Sokolov and Lazarev will matter? Tough to lose your 4 best players and starting goalie and not have a drastic drop-off. Piercey will be a good power forward once hes older but cant expect anything near Suzuki production from him next year

Not saying the first line wasn't important, however, all good teams in the league are going to go through cycles and lose players. Barrie has three lines potentially returning (was not aware people want out/traded .... that could change things real quickly????). I do believe if everyone who could return did then Barrie isn't going to be in last place next season and can still content for top couple of spots in their division. Only Niagara on paper looks possibly stronger in the Central Division. Feel the Colts should be better then Missy, North Bay and Sudbury. The east looks stronger again with only Hamilton and possible Kingston (depending on who they get back) will take a big step back. Oshawa and Ottawa will improve and should contend to win the Conference. Peterborough, who knows? Should be better but seem to continue to struggle on a annual basis since their last OHL championship.

Would agree with you that Piercey will need a year or two to develop. Would expect he plays on the forth line or is a fill in on the 2nd or 3rd line. Team does lack size upfront but that typical of most Barrie teams for the past several years.

On D while Fergus was a good player he wasn't lights out and the next 7 D on the team (if they are all back) are a year older and therefore I think they should be even stronger on D.

As for goal tending who knows and a big question mark. Like I said in my first post. All depends on if Leo replacement can be at least as good as him. No idea if Edmonds can fill that role or not (didn't play enough to really know). I never liked the Propp trade and would have kept him and believe he would have easily filled the starting role for next year (but recognize he wanted out because he didn't want to be a back-up again).

Having said all that if a bunch of players want to be traded and granted, who knows what they get back or where the team ends up next year???

Look forward to next season as always and enjoy the constant changes of Jr. hockey.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

This could be because they didn’t play a lot down the stretch or because they don’t want to play behind a certain OA. I’m betting most of the players who want out are forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->